SART bottom up?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Sidewalk, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Is the SART ridable going bottom up, basically reverse Hell Ride? I have only ridden it from Loch Leven up. Or taken the Hunting Grounds parts and then looped back down to Loch Leven again.

I'm planning a one way trip up the mountain. Might just park at Loch Leven as it won't be there overnight. But...more climbing is more climbing!

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    First time I ever rode SART was up from Loch Leven to Southfork -and we rode back down the road because we were exhausted!
    Much more climbable than it seems

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I think from Redlands to Post Office would be a lot of alternate fire roads. The singletrack below Post Office to Thomas Hunting Grounds seems like a horrible climb. From Post Office up, good to go.

I ran it through Strava Create a Route last year or the year before, and it took a lot of going around on forest roads to get to the Post Office.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
  5. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I was afraid of that. I that's the case, I'll probably just start at LL.

Edit: though I can still use that route, just now starting at a lower elevation.

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    A couple years ago I did a loop where I started at the Mill Creek ranger station and climbed SART up to Morton Peak and on to Thomas Hunting Ground and Angelus Oaks. Then down Loch Leven. I did the ride because I wanted to see if lower SART was climbable for including it in a bikepacking route that could be ridden both directions, and I'd say it is.

It was a tough climb up but I really liked it because when you get to the rock and shale section above THG it feels like you've hit the high alpine in Colorado or somewhere cool and makes the effort seem worthwhile. Descending that section is fun too but it's over pretty quick.

On the climb I had to get off and walk some of the switchback corners and a few short steep climbs but otherwise rode most of it up to Morton Peak. The trail was a bit on the steep side in places some of which sections had a small rut forming. I could generally ride with one or the other but had to walk sections that were both steeper and rutted. The road climb between Morton and THG wasn't as sucky as I thought it would be. It was the two sections of singletrack below THG that were the hardest due to grade, exposure, and loose trail surface. I ended up hike a biking a bunch of that. Beyond THG it was pretty good riding.

If you want a challenge I'd definitely give this climb a try.

Sidewalk, mike, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I've got some buddies in Redlands that have done it, and are always willing to do it again. PM me and I can connect you!

Sidewalk and DangerDirtyD like this.
  8. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I'm actually surprised you haven't already done it. I'm sure you can since you climbed up from Palm Springs to ride the PCE.

9. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    The parts of Dunn road I've ridden up are definitely harder than climbing up SART from the bottom. Climbing up Goat Trails and Wildhorse is comparable difficulty.

10. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Hmmm....

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    This would be a good weekend for it, nice and cool.

Sidewalk likes this.
  12. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Conflict might have arisen. I may be doing something else that day now! I'll do it another day though.

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.