Santa Rosa Plateau (The search for Gwinny)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by ridinrox, Oct 3, 2015.

1. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    What a day to go for a ride. I talked doublewide into exploring the Santa Rosa Plateau off Clinton Keith and the 15 fwy with me. I reminded him that Aaron Gwin lives off Clinton Keith and we could just possibly run into him. :whistling:

North side off CK are the riding trails - south side is hiking only (there's historic adobes and pools that we're gonna explore once it cools down). The riding trails are a mix of about everything without being too difficult. Really nice for noobs but enough flowy fun for the XC Strava freaks. Nothing spectacular to report other than it was a gorgeous day, nice folks out enjoying the outdoors (riders, hikers, and equestrians). We didn't see Gwinny put I'm sure we spotted his house from one of the mountain tops with a trail descending from the property. ;)

Here are some pics to entice you to come out and ride w me (except Herz of course...:Roflmao)!!
    IMG_20151003_094840140.jpg

IMG_20151003_100539900_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151003_101132776.jpg

IMG_20151003_110404031_HDR.jpg
    20151003_112749.jpg

SoCal_Rider, Mikie, mike and 20 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Where is the pic of you on the chairlift? :whistling:

3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Nice pics shitty and Roxy !! hey I want to try it some day ! its kind of close to corona you know, every time I go to Tj I pass the exit of CK and always I say to myself "one of this days I'll come and will ride it.."

Mikie, doublewide, ridinrox and 2 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Never heard of it...

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

Me and wifey Easter 2008

5. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Love to ride out there during the spring when the wildflowers are blooming. If we get the rain as expected this spring will be excellent.

http://www.vernalpools.org/

Dean

Mikie, ridinrox, doublewide and 2 others like this.
  6. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Excellent!!

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  7. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Let's go bud!!

Mikie likes this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Looks like a blast. Only 50 miles or so from me.

Mikie and ridinrox like this.
  9. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    And there's a bunch of great breweries out here too Mark we can visit after our "epic" ride!! ;)

And for those of you who don't know me, I get my stoke watching and riding w others (despite the fact Herz likes to poke, pun intended, fun of me "riding" or currently implied "nailing" others). :oops:

I don't do that!! I just like introducing peeps to new dirt. :thumbsup:

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    We're in!

Mikie, doublewide and ridinrox like this.
  11. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    SWEET!

That was a super fun ride! It was really nice out there, flowy trails nothing hard by any means, just a lot of "braaap"!
    We followed one trail out to the end of the park and found this pretty steep lil hill named "Harold Davis Hill" I told Rox I was gonna try and climb it she said "yeah right!" I did make it through all the hard stuff, it was loose and had about three lil step-ups, only to make it around the corner and see it kept going up! D'oh! She got a vid of me going down but I think going up was more impressive.
    Beer and sandwiches after, good times!

Oh and I was bummed to not see Gwin out there training in the "GNAR" for the 2016 World Cup.....

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Nice! Rox and DW!
    That pic of the bikes under the tree is so serene... What a backdrop!
    Thanks for the report Rox (don't call her Roxy, like evah!)...

doublewide and ridinrox like this.
  13. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    There's that one "215 Enduro" trail, just west of the medical center. Forgot what it's really called... also Insidious. Never rode them, but I guess I'll go try and look for 'em today, since they're about 15 miles away from my doorstep.

Edit: days are getting shorter, so I only got to scout it briefly, but it looks really tight and twisty, with berms and all. I was riding my brakes through it. Reminded me of the Slepski-style of trails over at Simpson Park. Apparently I got first ever dead last strava placement on this ride too... :Roflmao Will try and schedule a ride that will get more daylight to explore the actual trails, on the 26" this time.

doublewide, Mikie and ridinrox like this.
  14. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    The locals call it "215" and "EC" for Eric Carter. It's also known as "Electric" bc of the electrical towers. Insidious is a freakin blast!! Big techy stuff if you like that.

There's another trail up the fire road called: Jump Line. It's a long, flowy trail w various jump lines (one w/ a two foot gap), you probably rode the lower section w the berms...super fun!! Go check it out Dan!!

Varaxis and Mikie like this.
  15. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Yep, I was climbing up Electric, trying to find the top of 215, but there were too many turns and I was afraid of colliding with some DHers, so I just turned around and decided to get back before dark. I did ride up the fireroad all the way from Scenic view to the streets named after trees/plants, spotting some trails off to the side, but no time to explore. I'm guessing if I headed to the peak to the right, instead of the one with the electric lines, I would've found more goodies. I first remember riding the area after climbing up Daily Rd from Scott (the Scott rd descent is the one I got dead last on).

ridinrox likes this.
  16. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I think Craig (mtbbiker) and I need to schedule a group ride then. He knows the trails way better than me but yes, riding up the fireroad from Scenic has you pass Insidious on the right; I started to climb that trail (when I first moved here and started exploring) then realized within a few feet that that was a DH trail! But there is another zig zag trail that leads you up to Insidious and other trails.

Good riding all over here and here I thought I was going to be bored ... :confused:

Varaxis and Runs with Scissors like this.