Santa Cruz,CA. What trails should I ride?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by dustyyoungblood, Jun 26, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I'll be camping 2 weeks in July up in Santa Cruz, specifically at Smithwoods RV park.

I have never ridden the area, but a quick interweb search returns some prime MTB locations close by.

What are your favorite don't miss trails in the area? what about a pretty flat dirt trails I can take the wife and kids on? Is the "demo forest" full face helmet and pads park style lines?

Thanks in advance.

Faust29, kioti, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  2. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    We rode a bunch of stuff in Demo. No one had a full face. Maybe we didn't find the tech stuff but we didn't need anything out of the ordinary as far as protection. Don't miss the Flow trails. We hit just a little bit of the trails by UC Santa Cruz. Nice flowy stuff and we rode right from town.

Faust29, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    ^^^^^ good lord, that might be the best flow trail ever (as claimed). Perfect, loamy dirt, packed down just right. Small but critical berming that gives your tires something to press against on the downhill side of every little turn. Small kickers and turns built in everywhere to keep better riders entertained. And trees. It's in the trees. 14 minutes for a guy who was going pretty quick - 20 minutes for the target audience. I showed my wife, and now we are making plans. As soon as my daughter gets a few more singletrack miles in her...

I wouldn't want to ride this kind of trail exclusively for the rest of my life (as IMBA thinks we should), but I would love to have something like that nearby. Closest we have to that is Meadows in Aliso, which is about 4-6 minutes in length, not in the trees and has less-than-perfect dirt - however it is the best flow trail in OC. (thank you @kioti).

TFPU @Danimal :thumbsup:

Faust29, Danimal, Fueledbyex8 and 2 others like this.
  5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Faust29 likes this.
  6. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Of course you will go to the Soqueel Demo. No full face needed. U can spend all day in the Demo. The main downhill trails are Braille (chunky fun) Flow (u guessed it, pure flow, bermed goodness) tractor (??) .. the downhills are somewhat parallel to each other... you then take the fireroad up (Soda Springs??? can't remember but its obvious) Just some awesome forest single track.. its totally different than our OC dustiness....
    then gotta hit the areas around UC Santa Cruz/ State park next to Santa Cruz head quarters... Enchanted trail, Cabin (??) the trails there are more for the views and forest/Ewok but still fun....

Santa Cruz goodness!!!!

herzalot and doublewide like this.
  7. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Sulfur Springs, not Soda... whoops.. So u go down the good stuff, ie Flow, then up Sulfur, then down Braille, up Sulfur again, then down Sawpit ..
    then some lunch at the only market along the road...(you'll see a bunch of mtbker's and roadies)..
    Sulfur springs is about 1000 feet of climbing...
    Braille and Flow are complete opposites but both excellent!

herzalot and doublewide like this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    A good ride for the family is Del La Vega. Its in town and goes around and on the Disc Golf Course. Then there is Red Mail Box, DD's, and Demo. There are A lot of secret locals only trail up and around there. I have two friends who live up there and ride all kinds of local trails. Lots of great trails up Empire grade.

Fueledbyex8 likes this.
  9. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Throw in Wilder Ranch State Park's Old Cove trail, the ocean views and beach coves makes it one of the most scenic places there, it is very wife and child riding friendly and pretty flat.

And while you're there take advantage of Santa Cruz bikes and Ibis and rent a bike or two, its $20 to ride the best of best buildout and the Santa Cruz factory tour is interesting too.

Faust29 and Fueledbyex8 like this.
  10. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Look up a guy named Dirtvert on the MTBR forums. He used to live down here and was on that old crappy website before it flamed out. He is a great guy and was happy to give me a tour of the trails up there a couple years ago. If you don't know the trails, it seemed really hard to figure them out. Just take him to lunch and buy him some beer and you're good to go. He's a teacher so he is probably out of school now and likely needs someone to ride with! Tell him I told you about him and you are not some stalker LOL

kioti, Faust29 and dustyyoungblood like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?