Santa Barbara Shuttle Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Nov 30, 2014.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Tom the Bomb calls me while I'm passed out on Wednesday night, then Hill^billy text's me saying that there is a Crazy Bear Shuttle ride heading up to do some runs in Santa Barbara . . . Santa Barbara? There are trails in Santa Barbara? I never knew that Santa Barbara had such sweet trails. But I also have never really gone out on shuttle specific trails where big squish bikes were required either. I was pretty much the only person there with an All Mountain Trail Bike, and for the most part it served me well.

The plan was to do four trails throughout the day. The plan was San Ysidro Trail, Cold Springs Trail, Tunnel, and Knapp Castle... We were to meet Crazy Bear Bikes in Winnetka...Winnetka is the name of a town? Who comes up with these names??? So I get up at 4:45am load up the Time Machine and head out towards Winnetka at around 5:45. Stopped and got my usual Carl's Jr. Breakfast Burger with extra Ketchup for superhuman strength but I was not sure if I was going to need superhuman strength today. I mean, all we were going to do was coast down some trails . . . right?

Today I thought, "I'm going to get some excellent video with my GoPro", so I set it up with the "One Button" Feature so all I had to do was just press and hold the on/off button and it would record video. I even set it up on the side of my helmet since that is the last place I have not tried it.

Well . . . as usual, it didn't go well for me. Somehow when I pushed the button for the first trail it took a picture so I was hammering down San Ysidro with it off when I thought it was on. Ever have THAT happen??? :x

First trail San Ysidro was a piece of cake, fun with some chunk...
    Cold Springs was a different animal and was pretty chunky. I had two over the bars event rolling along nice and slowly. Thank goodness Tom the Bomb happened to show up with an extra pair of Shin and Forearm pads that he let me use for the day. Cold Springs was confusing, there were too many unmarked offshoots that could get you confused. One of the guys on the shuttle actually stopped and waited for us. I sincerely appreciate that as Hill^billy and I were getting frustrated trying to figure out which way to go.

For whatever reason we chose not to do Tunnel. We got lunch after our 2nd run which was on Cold Springs. After lunch we headed up over to Knapp Castle. It's a real short run but it's a lot of fun! A very fast trail that starts out as a fast fire road but turns into a single track with the option of some switchbacks or a dive down the middle. We did the dive the first time but I opted for the switchbacks the next 3 runs. I like the speed and chunk combination. As well, it's an easy shuttle...

People I knew were Tom the Bomb (Tom), Redwoods (Pat), Scottay (Scott), & Hill^billy (Doug). Found out that cableguy both of STR and now of imtbtrails was there. Great guy, superfast! Met a guy named Chris who is making these cool custom awareness bells which I will talk about later...

I was determined to get some good pics this ride. Usually my pics are of people before or after we ride a section. This time I was determined to get some nicer shots, so I hope you enjoy the action shots I did get! :)
    I would have got pics of others but they were GONE! I mean flying gone... :shock

It was a really fast group today and I really enjoyed learning another side of cycling. One thing was for sure. The hikers were tremendously appreciative of bear bells on our bikes. I have never heard so many thanks for having one. In fact, a guy I met on this ride named Chris Wyche is getting a patent on a Trail Bell he has invented. This is an amazing bell. He has given me one so I can do a product review on it. So look for that to come out next month on Singletrack Minds...

After the ride we loaded up and headed South out of Santa Barbara and naturally it was right around quitting time. Stop and go traffic all the way past Ventura. We stopped at In-N-Out to get dinner and then headed back to Winnetka to get vehicles and head our separate ways.

A bigger bike is tempting, but I probably won't do it. I do have in mind a 6 inch squish bike with 27.5 wheels later down the road. But I can tell this, I certainly am considering flat pedals for these kind of rides...

The pics with lost captions from the old forum software.
    SB-31.JPG

SB-30.jpg

SB-29.jpg

SB-28.jpg

SB-27.jpg

SB-26.jpg

SB-25.jpg

SB-24.jpg

SB-23.jpg

SB-22.jpg

SB-21.jpg

SB-20.jpg

SB-19.jpg

SB-18.jpg

SB-17.jpg

SB-16.jpg

SB-15.jpg

SB-14.jpg

SB-13.jpg

SB-12.jpg

SB-11.jpg

SB-10.jpg

SB-09.JPG

SB-08.JPG

SB-07.JPG

SB-06.jpg

SB-05.jpg

SB-04.jpg

SB-03.jpg

SB-02.jpg

SB-01.jpg

SB-00.jpg

SB-32.jpg

SB-33.jpg

SB-34.jpg

SB-35.jpg

SB-36.jpg

SB-37.jpg

bvader, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Damn it! No video, oh well, that means I didn't crash now doesn't it ;) ? Thanks Mikie!

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I got some video... I just need more space to put together what I DID get... :D

Danmtchl likes this.
  4. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
    Fingers crossed it comes out good, some of that stuff was the chunkiest I've ever riden, got lucky seems the picks were well timed, I don't know how it works? Does it take 100's of picks or what?

5. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    NICE!!! Looks like a great time! Wish I could have made it. :D

Mikie likes this.
  6. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    WHOOOYA, Awesome ride guys. Once in a while ya gotta do the shuttle! Not like we have not earned it. The company was great, shuttle was great and Xavier was great. Six shuttles and my body is a bit worked today. Hopefully Xavier schedules a PCE shuttle next weekend.
    Thanks for the RR Mikie!

7. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
    I second that Xavair was great, he really goes out of his way to make you comfortable right down to a portable dressing room.
    It's noticeable that the other side of cycling downhill, works the body in a different way, I'm pretty sore which doesn't happen when I'm just doing what we usually do, even if it's 30 miles, I have a new found respect for a downhiller who rides hard and get's his runs in, does it make up for climbing? I'll just say maybe.

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, my GoPro is set to take 60 frames per second and all a video is, is a series of pictures in a sequence. So there are a lot of pics to choose from to find that "just right" shot.

Danmtchl likes this.
  9. dckubler

dckubler Newbie

Name:
    Doug
    The all-important question - the cost?

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    $50 bucks a head for a ride from Winnetka to Santa Barbara and back with 6 runs a stop for lunch and dinner...

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. cableguy

cableguy Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Michael
    Awesome write-up! Nice meeting Mikie there. Had a great time meeting and riding those trails with the group.

Mikie likes this.
  12. pstoski

pstoski Newbie

Name:
    Paul Sylvester
    Hey guys it was great riding with you. No downhilling does not make up for up hilling but it does work you. Gotta do both (although for me DH is way more fun). Long days of doing downhill require some days in the saddle riding up. Just to keep in the spirit of both I took the DH bike I had at Santa Barbara Saturday to Cannell in Kernville Sunday followed by a partial night run on Mill Creek. Over 2000 ft of climbing at 8500+ elevation and 13,000 descending.

13. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli screamy Stump Jumper FSR
    great photos and story, thanks for posting

For your comment on flats, I recently switched from flats to SPD's. I could not get out of them ever when I really needed to so now I have the sh56 cleat. This thing is sooooo easy to get out of. On the other hand you can accidentally unclip if you pull too much during a jump but ill take that chance for now - just ride like you have flats. Anyways you might want to test them out

14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Dooood! You are fire on wheels! And a very knowledgeable one at that. It was awesome to meet you... and to eat your dust! Ha ha! :lol:
    Look forward to next, I will be MUCH more prepared :cool:

Danmtchl likes this.
  15. JackGSB

JackGSB Newbie

Name:
    Jack Greenbaum
    Current Bike:
    Norco Range Killer-B
    Saw you guys up at Knapps, was hiking with my GF, daughter, and little dog. Thanks for the ride report, was wondering who the shuttle operator was. Bells are really important up here for keeping the peace, so I'll add to the chorus of thanks. Here is a link with more background: http://www.sbmtv.org/2011/07/11/decline-magazine-july-issue-features-sbmtv-bell-program/

BTW: Tunnel is just like Cold Springs, only more of everything. Full squish might be useful on parts of Tunnel, but a modern 6" (with a bell :) is plenty for anything else 'round here.

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Ah yes! I missed a good one. Tom the Bomb really knows how to bring on the chunk. Hope to ride with you guys again soon...

Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  17. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Dog's name is Zee. :mrgreen:

Xavier is good people.

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    It's interesting - no one denies that downhill (alpine) skiing is a rigorous sport that requires you to be in great shape, even though we take the lift up every run. No one suggests you should spend most of your time XC (nordic) skiing to get in shape for dh (alpine) skiing. There are tons of ski-fit classes for preparing for the rigors of alpine skiing, yet somehow in all of this, the obvious comparison is completely lost on mountain bikers.

Someone who "rides park" all the time would have to have strong quads, calfs, forearms, triceps and core from standing and absorbing the trail all day, even if he/she never pedaled a stroke. To be fair, one could also remain very overweight and ride park all day, whereas that's probably not true for XC riders putting in tons of miles/climbing. Again, the comparisons to nordic and alpine skiing are apt. They are perceived as two entirely different sports with almost no crossover (except for telemarkers - but they're a different breed altogether - the Single Speeders of the ski world).

Oh, and great ride report. I hate you all! :sick:

19. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Great RR and thanks. How did you guys put this together? Will you open this up to other people? If so, I'd like to jump on. I did a group ride with a company called ShuttleRun up by JPL and that was a blast. I think the company lost its permits and no longer shuttles bikers in that area. Hope to join up with you next time :D

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    :D Absolutely!
    It was open to the public thru Crazy Bear Bikes <a class="postlink" href="http://www.crazybearbikes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.crazybearbikes.com/</a> as there was a last minute post in trailheads by me as I found out about it like 2 day before the event.
    They have hosted rides like this before. Keep an eye on the Calendar on their site. I'm working on a Widget that will post their Calendar on imtbtrails as well... (I'm always thinking... :think: )
    You are always most welcome my mtb brothah!!

Mikie

Danmtchl likes this.
  21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Picture slot machine! Very old ride report!
    upload_2019-9-15_14-26-21.jpeg

22. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
    Sucks! Back when I was somebody? Now I’m just very old. That was a fun one!

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    You silly man! You are still somebody! We just never ride together anymore...:oops:

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  24. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I could do this again !

Mikie likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?