Santa Anas select...got dirt on the dirt?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by mike, Dec 7, 2017.

1. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Anybody felt, seen or heard what shape these fine SA trails are in?

Yeager Mesa
    Bell Ridge/Dingdong
    Los Piños Ridge
    Upper HJ
    Joplin
    Coldwater

TIAFPU!

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Let' go ride 'em and find out!

UPSed, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Dry as F***

4. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Normal conditions...check! :)

Aye, RossBro...maybe Dio will "visit his in-laws" so we can tick off LP. Or I'll roll up there and ride with y'all. In any case, we will be mobbing CNF and whatever else through the holidays, so let's get the shite dunn. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Already lining up stuff, hence this inquiry.

Gary: Chiquito

Grego, Old&InTheWay, rossage and 3 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon

rossage, herzalot, littlewave and 2 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    You are killing me, David. In a good way. I have loved and always will love California, despite whatever its faults.

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    All that was old is new again:

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  8. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Howdy @mike ! So funny you are the one asking about the SA conditions :)

I took the pooch for a hike up Trabuco trail and lower Yeager today. Wet and muddy ;)

20171214_111112[1].jpg
    20171214_111053[1].jpg

Those pics at the spring on Yeager, by the bridge/skinny over the downed log. Always muddy as you know. Anyway, what we hiked was in good shape just bone dry.

Stopped at the Path on the way out to get some supplies (so maybe, just maybe, I can go for a ride tomorrow:)). Dean gave me some scoop on conditions of various trails... Upper HJ he said is almost as good as he's ever seen it. I guess someone worked on it, but been awhile since I rode it and it was pretty tough (Maybe a year ago). So sounds like it's better. Lower HJ was brushed (thanks Warriors I think). Joplin was brushed recently (forgot who he said did that). Also Ding Dong was brushed and the guy he knows who's maintaining it plans to do some rut and drainage work once some moisture comes. No info on Bell, Pinos, upper Yeager or Coldwater.
    One other photo that really sucks/blurry/phone was drunk not me, but someone has decorated a tree on Yeager with cool eco friendly ornaments (stuff the birds and animals can eat). Think Mike we talked about the plastic and glass ones on the Xmas tree on Trabuco that stay around for a few thousand years. I like this alternative. Cheers
    20171214_110217[1].jpg

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C

I saw this on Strava today... Glad you got out there. :thumbsup:

The Christmas tree on Trabuco has been ornament free the last few times I've been down it.

10. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Thanks Steve, Have sure missed getting up in the mountains, or canyons in this case, thoroughly enjoyed even if on foot this time. Glad to get doc clearance and sweat some out in the fresh air, esp with my best bud Morgan the pooch, my fearless companion. But couldn't help thinking on the way down, I want some wheels! Soon I hope.

I shouldn't be critical of the traditional tree on Trabuco since I haven't been up there in over a year. It was cool that people would decorate it (years and years tradition) but the glass balls fell and broke and the plastic ones rolled all over. Remember trying to clean it up a bit once (prob after a wind storm). Maybe the decorators have moved to the organic type ornaments and they've all been eaten already :)

Sorry for the derail, cheers and peace ya'll, and happy Christmas, Hanukkah or whatever you prefer to celebrate this time of year.

11. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Knuckles! how you doon? Glad you got out there!
    Cute dog

mike likes this.
  12. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Thanks Gary, Morg is my buddy through thick and thin :) Baby steps but felt good today on foot. Re-taped a wheel that the tire has been flat on for 6 months. Holding so far. Hoping for a ride soon :)

13. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Awesome report, Dave...on every front! Moria has reminded me multiple times that I need to check in on your progress. (Ah, the better half.) So good to know you're trailbound :thumbsup: Thanks for the pics...Morgan is such a sweetie.

And what's with the great shape on all the trails? I won't be able to find my way around! But we'll deal... :sneaky::geek:

Cheers and happy Friday, Dave, and to all my pals here (that means everyone!). :):thumbsup:

14. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    nothing wrong with enjoying the mountains on foot! hope to ride or hike with you soon.

15. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    I'm completely derailing this thread, sorry in advance. When we (Morgan the pooch and I) did the recon mission on Trabuco and lower Yeager around a month ago, I was pretty stoked with getting a good long hike in with my buddy, who had tones of energy and enthusiasm. He'd run up the trail, then come back to check on me to make sure I was still coming along.

Last Sunday, out of the blue, he got very lethargic. We took him to the urgent care vet. After some tests, they found he had two tumors on his spleen which were bleeding out to his abdomen. He was in shock and bleeding to death internally. RIP my buddy. I still cant understand how he could do this fairly stout hike with unmitigated energy and go down just a month later. Very glad for the 9 years of fun and enthusiasm he gave us, but so hard not to have him around now.

20171214_111112-1-jpg.34399.jpg

doublewide, Danimal, UPSed and 11 others like this.
  16. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    huge bummer man. It's awesome that you got to do an epic hike with him in his prime and you on the mend. It will be a fitting memory to stick with you forever and an appropriate way to remember him, instead of the last fleeting moments. Really sorry to hear about your loss. Gives you a good reason to get out on the bike and ride those trails in his honor.

knucklebuster, mike, bvader and 5 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...
    So sorry for your loss Dave.

knucklebuster, mike and kioti like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Sorry to hear this @knucklebuster. It hurts to lose a family member.

knucklebuster, mike and kioti like this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Very sorry for your loss Dave. No better pal than a good dog. Those muddy paws and happy face tell me everything.

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Nothing better than a good dog, and the memories you can make together... I'm sorry your journey with him ended so soon. :unsure:

21. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm so sorry, Dave. Knowing you, I'm sure he had a blessed life filled with love and doggy adventures. I think one of the best things we can have in life is the love of a good dog, and I'm glad you two had each other. Farewell, Morgan.

22. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Dave, very sorry for your loss.

23. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    Aw man, that really sucks. Always hurts to loose a doggie.

24. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Dave, you have to know that you gave your pal the best of everything. What a lucky dog! He'll be with you for all time.

I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs from both of us and best wishes to your family.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Dammn. Sorry to hear. I had the exact same experience with my dog, so I feel your pain. The sorrow at the end is always the price we have to pay for the love and companionship they provide. My condolences on the loss of your buddy and family member. :(