Santa Anas, looking good this weekend 9/27-28

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mike, Sep 24, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Temps will peak out in the low 80s with cloud cover and a chance of drizzle. Pretty near perfect, at last!

<a class="postlink" href="http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=33.68606772497501&lon=-117.5141429901123&site=sgx&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text#.VCMO2UgsSHo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... CMO2UgsSHo</a>

If anybody is up for a romp around the Santa Anas, I'm planning on running the Holy Jim to Joplin loop (20+ miles, 5k' climbing, tech descent, remote). I'm up for either day, and would like to be pedaling by 8am. I'm not married to Joplin but haven't done it in awhile. I could be swayed to riding Skinsuit or Los Piños Ridge instead (both comparable commitments).

No hardcore pace, just a fun day out. Holler if you're feeling strong and up for some OC dirt, and we'll iron out details.

:cool:

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Mike is BACK!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just a heads up. There is supposed to be a fast group doing Big Bear this Saturday. Details are over on the Calendar...
    Just an FYI!

~Mikie

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the riding option, Capitan!

Rubber side down, Bear riders. I'm gonna keep it close to home this WE. Crank on...

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Here's a good one.....<a class="postlink" href="http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452326215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452326215</a>

5. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    That is a good ride

6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I'll be doing Harding Sunday AM. Nothing sexy just an out and back - trying to get the legs back after a long summer doing not enough of anything. Wish I could join you on your loop - can't wait for the first rain to get here to tamp down the trails.

Went up Holy Jim to Main Divide on Wednesday. It was pretty toasty - but I had the upper lot and the trail entirely to myself. Didn't see a soul the entire ride. I give the trail a "C" right now - dry as a bone and pretty loose. Creek crossings were all dry. Flies were moderately bad (strange for this late in the season). Switchbacks were clean but there were a few minor trail blowouts near the top so watch your line. Main Divide is dry and crumbly. I wouldn't want to do that ride from top of HJ to Joplin in these loose conditions, but you sound stronger than me :)

7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Wow lot of people on the trails today. Hit Harding at 6AM sharp (it was still dark) and there was already a rider in front of me and two hikers who scared me to death because they were standing off to the side of the trail in the dark.

It was COLD up at Four Corners. I only had a light shirt on and I could see my breath! It was one thing when I was climbing and burning cals, but the first couple of miles on the way down were brutal.

During the descent I came across more riders than I've seen all summer, LOL. Including a dude pushing a messed-up Cannondale. If you are on this site, I was the guy who stopped and offered you help/parts.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?