Santa Ana River Trail (SART) warning

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sidewalk, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Seriously becoming dangerous to ride the trail. Exercise caution if you are going to be riding on the trail, particularly on the east end. People are using it to get to and from the river. I followed a whole group of people, a 4-seater sandrail, a couple of side-by-sides, and a bunch of quads. The sandrail must have been going 45+ going into the blind corners at the underpasses, the quads couldn't keep up with him.

Almost every time I ride there now, which is my commute, I am seeing some sort of gas powered vehicle out there.

Instagram Link

To clarify, this is the paved bicycle path that starts at the beach and ends in San Bernardino. This is the San Bernardino end I have the most experience with.

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Most people around here are going to think you are talking about the SART singletrack near Angelus Oaks.
    Maybe a map or let us know what city..

3. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    That’s to bad!

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Let the local PD know....doubt they are legal on the paved/concrete trail.

5. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    That's why I posted it in the "Road Warriors" forum :laugh:

@mtbMike said he was going to ride the trail this weekend, so it seemed timely.

Not legal...but already asked a local sheriff friend about it. He basically said "until someone dies, nothing will change".

So, yeah, I'm just trying not to be person #1.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

That’s the kind of crap that drives me mad. “We know it’s a hazard and dangerous situation caused by people breaking the law, but we aren’t going to do anything until after someone gets killed”.

7. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I can't even begin to imagine where this is....or where sandrails, ATV's or SxS's are even legal near where SART runs. I'm guessing they are going to "play" in the dry Santa Ana River bed? I only ride SART up high where there's dirt so I have obviously never seen that sort of activity.

8. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Time to do a midnight ride and self-install some vehicle barricades on the pathway. Mr side by side will have some explaining to do when he's found with his machine wrapped around a pole.

9. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    My guess this is somewhere near Colton? I think they have some problems with ATV's and people using that part of the river and dunes like it were Glamis. I believe the local PD actually has (or used to have) a task force for this. I often ride the S.A. River further West from Green River in Corona to Huntington and do not encounter any motorized vehicles...then again most of the river there is channelized and in highly urbanized areas. Be safe!

10. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Probably not legal, but there's a river channel that runs along the paved SART path almost if not all the way to the beach. Seems like you'll see vehicle tracks pretty much anywhere there is a wash or river channel. But this is the first time I've seen someone being to reckless driving like that on a pedestrian pathway.

I've seen them in SD too on the Rose Canyon bike path. Not sand rails but dirt bikes for sure, and the occasional stolen joy ride. Every so often a police cruiser would drive on the path to patrol it. I suspect this will be stopped now because the new trolley construction will prevent them from crossing up to Morena Blvd.

11. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I used to drive on that Rose Canyon path occasionally, only in response to radio calls though which 98% were complaints about transients....and the occasional suicide by train :(

12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Didn't we just have a huge fire because of policy like this?

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Bingo!

Sidewalk likes this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Gotta say that in 6 or so years of riding the SART between HB and Corona I've seen maybe three instances of motorized (minibikes) vehicles on the bike path. May be worse out toward SB.

But when the thing is finished, it will be over one hundred glorious miles of traffic-free riding. :thumbsup: One way!!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  15. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    That's the area. I don't even mind the idea of people going down there and off roading, sounds like fun. I just don't like them recklessly using a bicycle path, the only safe place we have to ride!

You can thank the city of Norco for the hold up.

There is a paved bike path that starts in Huntington Beach and currently ends in San Bernardino (with a gap currently in Norco, where you have to ride city streets to reconnect). The beach side is 30 miles each way and MASSIVELY popular with runners and cyclists (I have even seen horses, but rare).

I'm currently living in Loma Linda (San Bernardino) and ride 15 miles on the trail for my commute.

https://www.traillink.com/trail/santa-ana-river-trail/