Santa Ana Mountains, CNF

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by mike, Oct 3, 2014.

1. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Trabuco and Holy Jim drainages: Sunny. Hot (depending on your blood viscosity). Dusty. Shocker, I know... Lots of PO on lower Trab, Yeager Mesa and some on Bell Ridge. Some of it hangs into the trail on Trab.

Upper HJ, pretty good overall. The rocky left-turning switchbacks are looking a little haggard and might be a little harder than normal.

Bell Ridge is fairly rutted but not crazily loose or dusty. Dingdong exit is in great shape considering. Thanks to whomever worked on DD.

Spike in temps = good weekend to start early. High fire danger with Santa Ana winds this WE.

2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Did lower HJ last Tuesday. Best trail in CNF to ride when wet, in my opinion - I have ridden it in full downpour and it is awesome. When it is dry and loose, however... not so much. I was bummed at a lot of the damage caused by people(cheaters) cutting the switchbacks.

I didn't see a lot of PO personally - even places where it is normally very prevalent. Probably because it has been so dry...

How were the flies?

3. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Agreed, great wet wether trails.

Black flies are pretty bad for this time of year. I don't take off without a head net stashed in my pack. I'd rather look ridiculous than get another fly in my lung.

Magnitude 2.9 quake at 3:16 this AM, centered pretty much under the central Santa Anas. I know you guys around the foothills felt that.

4. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    ATT phone reception on San Juan Trail can be had about four miles up from the bottom, at a spot that overlooks a lot of Ortega Hwy. Other than that I think it's pretty grim. None at the TH, and almost none on the trail until you get to Bluejay CG. At Bluejay, look for the sign that notes "phone reception area" (or similar language).

Water: I did not know there is water at the TH. I still have not seen it, but my bro says it's in a utility area of the TH. can you guys confirm? Thanks. Bluejay has a spigot with potable water.

5. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    CNF closures and alerts:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleve ... rdb5340229</a>

Trabuco, HJ, Upper HJ, West and East Horsetheif, Los Piños, Bell Ridge, San Juan, Chiquito, Coldwater, Skinsuit, Smashface, Joplin, Upper Joplin, Luge, are open to bikes. Looks like almost all of the fire roads are open to bikes or are not definitively closed. Probably worth a call to the ranger office before executing a plan.

Silverado Motorway appears to be the only ST trail closed.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Per a post on Geoladders:

The Other One
    10/14/14 9:24 PM When I called Trabuco Ranger District on 10/02/14 they said it was ok to ride Main Divide between Beeks and the Bedford Peak gate at the top of Motorway, but from there to 4 Corners plus Motorway and Maple Springs still closed.

Please be respectful and stay off the Motorway until the closure is lifted.

7. Andy

Andy Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...

It looks like Maple Springs is still closed... But Harding is open -

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229&width=full

So... (having never been up Harding, only MS), if I take Harding, can I go further than 4 Corners? To Santiago Peak?
    Or is Main Divide also closed for that route?

Thanks for any info...

8. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    You can take Harding to 4 corners and up to the peak just not toward Motorway.

9. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Some decent rainfall overnight; much more due tomorrow and tomorrow night.

Week of 12/8: Check dam removal project on upper Trabuco Creek Road in the forest. The road will be passable, but heavy equipment will be there demo'ing the dams and moving resultant debris to reinforce the banks. Delay possible or likely.

10. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Trabuco Creek Rd is passable by bike and auto.

11. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli screamy Stump Jumper FSR
    is it ok or wise to ride Santiago truck trail tomorrow (Friday), that seems to dry pretty fast - thoughts?

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Sounds like Jim was out working on it the last couple of days....should be good to go.

13. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    I agree STT should be fine. Very little mud anywhere once on the mountain.

This weekend will be great conditions for pretty much everything in the Santa Anas.

14. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli screamy Stump Jumper FSR
    sweet I am heading out there today around 1:30 - should be nice

15. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Lots of bikes out in these great conditions today. Los Piños was getting mobbed by a group, they said San Juan was actually a little too wet.

I did Trabuco to Yeager Mesa, which is in great shape overall. A bit of a rut down many parts, still a little soft with insane traction. No mud to speak of on the trail. Trabuco is much easier to pedal up right now than in normal conditions.

Watch for trees that you need to duck under on all forest trails, and note that they can move over time like one near the top of Trabuco.

Go get some of these conditions while they last. Ditch work or school if you have to.

16. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Upper Holy Jim is a bit of a mess after last weeks rain. Pretty rocky and/or rutty.

Lower is in excellent condition, but I noticed 3 or 4 sections that could turn into wash outs after the next rain storm. Keep an eye out if you are going down them after Friday's rain!!

17. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Heavy rain expected Friday, on top of existing moisture still present from the last storm.

Sat AM 12/13
    Santa Anas trails are rideable. Trabuco Creek Road will be very muddy today and possibly tomorrow.

18. SCPivot

SCPivot Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c
    Harding to Santiago Peak in good shape

Some rock fall on Harding with a few wet spots easily avoided. Trail was in really good shape. Rest of the climb to MP then SP as usual with a few puddles between MP and SP.

19. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Despite Santa Ana conditions today and sunny days, the trails and roads are still damp and overall in great shape. A puddle or three on Forest roads.

Joplin is in prime shape, making Holy Jim > Joplin > Cadillac loop a joyous and low commitment way to bag Joplin. (Gunning for 3 hrs, and I'm average.) The roads up to HJ/Trabuco are dry.

Go make the most of these short days during prime conditions. Or be bummed :cool:

20. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    As usual, Upper Holy Jim has been made a bit more difficult by rain erosion. A couple of spots are tricky with a rut in the trail, but it's no deal breaker at all. Still one of the best trails as far as consistent tech difficulty for those looking to bone up for the harder trails or just have a bunch of fun.

If bombing lower HJ, watch out for the bite out of the trail just over a mile down from Main Divide. It'll be on your left after some right turns. Eye pro recommended for the overgrowth. Bear Springs (3.5 mi up HJ) is dribbling pretty well with some refill cups positioned under the main flows. You could fill up your water there pretty quickly. Water flowing below HJ Falls (read: all the way out the lower canyon) is not potable.

21. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Bell Ridge is in fair shape, with some usual ruts that add some challenge and fairly overgrown. In other words, par for BR. Dingdong exit is in great shape.

Thanks to whoever removed the big rock that rolled down.

22. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    1/10/15

Holy Jim was cleared of tree blockages/walk-arounds in the creek bottom today. Thanks, whoever.

Almost no snow to Santiago Peak via UHJ.

The chopper buzzing around the summit today was picking up an exhausted and possibly injured hiker and his sister and mom. They were a short ways down from the summit heading toward the top of UHJ but were essentially inambulatory as a group. A medic was dropped, and they probably used the big UHJ switchback as LZ and pick up for the victim (and party, I presume). Impressive work by OC Fire getting a ship up there in under :15, before dark and before the rain.

Lots of Main Divide doesn't have cel reception, but these people managed to get some where they were. It makes sense to carry a PLB up there for that reason. And don't bag peaks off the couch right before a storm.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    This ^^^^^^^ :x

24. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Per freewheeler on STR, Coldwater and ITT are in great shape.

Thanks for the brushing on CW, freewheeler.

25. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Anyone (Mike?) been on Joplin since the big New Year storm? Rideable or passable? Thinking of hitting next week but know there's many old Oaks in the canyon that could have come down. My little folding saw wouldn't stand a chance against those monsters.

26. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Dave, I have not been over there. I am curious myself. If you want another optimistic fate seeker on board, I can probably swing it.

I can pack the chainsaw. Jeez, that might not be a joke. :?

27. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Hmmm, thinking maybe Wednesday ride up to Old Camp and (something I thought I'd never say), head up Joplin :shock: with handsaws and loppers and see how far we can get? Might have another person willing to join the adventure (Sir Crashallot, prompt prompt, poke, poke)

28. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Interesting idea that might fill the bill. OTOH, if it's a trail clearing mission, then I wouldn't want to see us unable to finish or get rebuffed because of a few of 12" trees. I'm almost more inclined to commit to getting the full kit to top of Joplin and doing it hell or high water. If there are a few of us, that could really help.

I'm in for team spirit, though. I'll go with whatever plan.

PS: Humanpower might negate the need for burly toolage. More = quicker, better job and less work. Ahem...midweek Warriors?

29. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Did a little more research, per strava quite a few people have ridden Joplin this year with a handful in the 10-20 minute range for the full 2 mile downhill. Based on that I'd say there probably aren't many/any major blockages on the trail. Now, to get up there and confirm...

30. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    1-30-15

Bell Ridge is moderately overgrown between Los Piños Peak and Yeager Mesa split; light/inconsequential overgrowth otherwise. Yeager Mesa has light overgrowth, not greatly affecting the riding.

Surface conditions on both trails: as good as it gets.