San Juan Viejo Tie Loop with the Bomb Squad

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Dec 28, 2014.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    To make it clear . . . ANY group ride that Tom the Bomb is on is called the Bomb Squad. You too could be on the Bomb Squad if you join in... :D

This is what it looks like at my house a O:Dark Thirty
    ODark30.jpg

I live near Frazier Park. To get to the San Juan Trailhead I got up at 3:45am :shock: , to be on the road by 4:15am :eek: , so I could meet rossage in Arcadia by 6:00am :? , so we could roll over to Tom the Bombs house in Rancho Cucamonga at 7:00am :cry: , that way we could meet Dan Vu (varaxis), Mark (abuck55), and another guy named Mark at the San Juan trailhead at 8:15am...Whew! So I don't want to hear from any of you that EPICS are just too far away to go do... :D

So as I'm driving down the 210 freeway and looking at all these early bird cars on the road, and I'm thinking, "I wonder what trail "THEY" are riding today . . . and where are they stashing their bikes?" . . . Just thoughts of a mountain biker on the road.

None the less, we were a tad late, but we made it! Posted over in Trailheads was the invite to do the San Juan Trail by none other than Tom the Bomb! I've been wanting to do it and had several offers but I didn't want to drive all the way down there by myself (approx. 3 hours one way) to do it. So when Tom the Bomb put it out there to carpool from his house and rossage was going as well, I jumped on cuz I could meet rossage in Arcadia and we could carpool the rest of the way there from Tom's Casa...

Tom the Bombs house... (Sorry, it's classified)
    IMG-20141227-02720.jpg

Triple "D"
    IMG-20141227-02721.jpg

Rossage looking like he is sleep walking
    IMG-20141227-02722.jpg

Now I normally get up for work during the week at 2:45am so I can be on the road to Palmdale by 3:15am so getting up early is not a real big deal, especially if it is to go ride some Class "A" Epic singletrack...

...and San Juan is no exception to the EPIC label... It was awesome! We did a variation called according to Tom the Bomb as the San Juan Viejo Tie Loop, and rossage states that you get the best of the best in doing that loop. It was pretty amazing and I recommend it highly. Just enough chunk and technical to keep it interesting and fun. My favorite part was after Cocktail Rocks where we plunged into this canyon down a destroyed fire road turned singletrack where there were drops after drops with these large roots sticking out of the ground everywhere! I hope varaxis caught some video of that.

Tom the Bombs as commander carpool.
    IMG-20141227-02723.jpg

When we showed up at the trailhead I had heard that we were meeting a guy named Mark. Mark? I was hoping it was abuck55 from STR and it turned out it WAS that Mark! Mark is in my opinion the nicest guy on the trails of Southern California . . . evah! He brought along another guy who was named . . . Mark.

Busy Trailhead!
    IMG-20141227-02724.jpg

Danger Dirty D . . . . Working it.IMG-20141227-02725.jpg

Us getting ready for the ride.
    IMG-20141227-02726.jpg

So we headed up the trail and I was told it would be about an hour and a half of climbing but not too steep. It was switchback heaven all of which are cleanable. As we rose up out of the canyon you could see the ocean and the Islands cuz it was a pretty clear day with a breeze to blow away the haze. I don't get to see the ocean on many of my rides so this was a real treat.

IMG-20141227-02727.jpg

IMG-20141227-02728.jpg

Triple "D's" Lips . . . . . . Scare me.
    IMG-20141227-02729.jpg

Rossage, Me, Tom the Bomb, and the other Mark.
    IMG-20141227-02730.jpg

Abuck55 (Mark), Tom the Bomb up front, and Mark experiencing some views.
    IMG-20141227-02731.jpg

Abuck55 took a picture for me, thanks Mark!
    IMG-20141227-02732.jpg

When we reached Cocktail Rocks I remembered it from other ride reports, and pictures do not portray how awesome the view is from there. We got a quick bite to eat while Tom the Bomb cleaned up his CSI Crime Scene of Blood... :roll: apparently he decided to hit every branch on the climb up to the point of donating blood to the trail. There was even blood splatter on his shorts! After that, we then headed on up the trail. From there it gets much more technical compared to what we did climb. In my opinion this is where it started getting good! I have no idea where we were or what trails we were on, I just followed with a big smile on my face the whole day!

CSI would have a field day with Tom the Bomb...
    IMG-20141227-02733.jpg IMG-20141227-02734.jpg IMG-20141227-02735.jpg IMG-20141227-02736.jpg

Mark claims this is all he got, but we figured it was blood splatter on the foliage climbing up after Tom.
    IMG-20141227-02737.jpg

The "other" Mark was beginning to wonder who he had gotten himself mixed up with.
    IMG-20141227-02738.jpg

Grabbing a bite before we head on at Coctail Rocks.
    IMG-20141227-02739.jpg

Danger Dirty D behaving himself.
    IMG-20141227-02740.jpg

Rossage.
    IMG-20141227-02741.jpg

Varaxis (Dan), as quiet as a Ninja (always).
    IMG-20141227-02742.jpg

The direction we are heading from CR.
    IMG-20141227-02743.jpg

Glam shot.
    IMG-20141227-02744.jpg

For a Saturday there didn't seem to be many hikers on the trail. The ones we did come across were all very nice. We had bells on our bikes so they all got a good fair warning we were coming. Looping on this one section in the back country we hit some awesome tech sections with some nice rock roll features. One of which no one attempted accept Tom the Bomb. I had seen some video shorts of them doing this in the past. He did it again and I got what I thought was a pretty good shot of it. Nice Tom the Bomb!

IMG-20141227-02747.jpg

Cruising the Back Country on the Viejo Tie.
    IMG-20141227-02745.jpg

We continued to loop back around and start heading back to the Cocktail Rocks on another trail. I was feeling pretty fresh as the pace was a nice cruiser the whole day. When we got back to Cocktail we again got some grub and some padded up. I have pads and didn't think to bring them. None the less, it would have been nice as my front wheel washed out on one of the first switchbacks back down to the trailhead and I went down. Not bad, no high speed in a switchback... got a small cut on my elbow and was no big deal. I cruised down as one of the last guys and rossage called sweeper so we both cruised it at a pretty good pace and just had lots of yelling a whooping fun! In addition, rossage sang me his version of Godzilla on the way down...

Back at Cocktail Rocks.
    IMG-20141227-02749.jpg

The "other" just didn't seem like he was enjoying the day.
    IMG-20141227-02750.jpg

As we were just sitting around soaking up the sun. Dead center, Mark died and no one noticed. NO! That's a lie! But in truth, I can't explain Rossage in the upper left hand corner of the pic. (I think he was pretending to be Godzilla)
    IMG-20141227-02751.jpg

Oh No! They say he's got to go!
    IMG-20141227-02752.jpg

View from CockTail Rock out to the ocean to the west.
    IMG-20141227-02754.jpg IMG-20141227-02755.jpg

At the bottom we talked a little smack and changed our clothes and headed to Rubios for some Fish Tacos (they too, were the Bomb!) over near Corona. Dan decided to take off, as well Mark and Mark had to head their own way, so we didn't get to eat and spend time with them . . . bummer!

We got back to Tom's place, Ross and I loaded up and we said our goodbyes.

Another amazing road trip to some new dirt for me...

san.juan.map.elevation.jpg

IMG-20141227-02748.jpg

IMG-20141227-02746.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower; Revel Rail
    "History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men!!!" (Look it up)

Great ride and great ride report, as usual. I admire your dedication. I live 30 minutes from the SJT trailhead and complain about the time it takes me to get there! I'm always fried by the time I return to Cocktail if I do the upper loop - and I've never done the extra part of the loop like you did. Good work all!

Mikie, I noticed you said all of the switchbacks were cleanable - so, did you clean them all? There are a couple of tough ones.

3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    GODZILLA!
    I missed the left towards the top that makes you climb that rock outcropping, that switch leads you to the awesome view of the ocean... otherwise it was a good day on the switchbacks!

rossage and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oh No! There goes Tokyo! Go Go Godzilla! Yeeeaaaah!

Nailed that report Mikie. What a day on the trail! Pure MTB soul ride.....

Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  5. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Great ride report Mikie!
    It is always a great time riding w/ this group! Great to ride w/ you again Mikie!!
    Looking forward to more in the future.. :)

6. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    Mikie knocks another RR out of the park. Awesome, looks like a great outing. :clap:
    I do have to say though that the close up of Rossage that early in the morning is still scary even at this time of day. Don't do that again. :D

7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

NICE! Ok Tom, how do you do that with your saddle touching the sky? I know your legs are long, but damn that is hard to do! :thumbup:

8. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Great RR as usual.. You know you could save alot of time if you just picked up Ross and went to the trailhead. I guess you needed more male bonding huh....lol

9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The trailhead is still 75 miles from my place in Alhambra. Tom's place is only 30 or so. Logistics do get in the way but we were all surprised at how early we actually finished.
    Like my wife says, "when you ride with Tom, it's always dark to dark!" :eek:

Mikie likes this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    All fashion choices are approved in the pictures above with the exception of Mikie's Lycra, Rossage's Wingnut pack and Tom's red bandana. But when your last name is "the Bomb" you get to protect your neck from the sun in any manner you choose. At least he chose a color to accent his socks, jersey and bloody arms. Not sure why he has knee pads on at cocktail rock but was not wearing them for the chunky roll-over pictured earlier. As for the other two fashion faux pas, well you gotta wear what's comfortable, I s'pose.

You're welcome! :wave:

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  11. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Oh, you probably went down the 15 to the trail head? That makes sense then to go to Toms.

Mikie likes this.
  12. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    gp5ArMl.jpg
    - The morning view

dfiG4hQ.jpg
    Jw1ZsJ5.jpg
    DWK54Qq.jpg
    - Short & steep climbs. I'd like to rechallenge the ones which I didn't clear

qkGbqZv.jpg
    - At the top of one of the peaks

hF1vYTR.jpg
    - Roots! These roots made this fast section super fun

VtwHRQj.jpg
    - I seriously love pinballing off of this stuff. I go as fast as I dare to amplify the effect

p3xF8WV.jpg
    - The ruts in this section... my goodness, they were deep, but it was really fun riding through. Would totally ride through again

5HZckHC.jpg
    - Mark (Marc?) showing off

KMFdXHG.jpg
    arGsySB.jpg
    VB0LJ7V.jpg
    - Beautiful singletrack

fedB3m6.jpg
    6qB9KfD.jpg
    - The kitty litter had me standing on edge, which led to about 4 crashes, not counting the parts where I came in too hot for the switchbacks and had to dab, bounce, and try and not tip over fully

dDxI2Qs.jpg
    - One of the many switchbacks

13. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Bummed I couldn't join you guys - Mark is right, you're a fun bunch to ride with, maybe next time.

Thanks for another entertaining RR Mikie...keep em coming!

Mikie likes this.
  14. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    rossage the Stone Snake, first off his name, the rightful King of the Right-of-Way and the First Men and ruler of San Juan... I had a decent chat with him on the long climb up, and decided to give him these titles. He goes around all the rocks I tend to just try and roll over straight on, with a success rate surprisingly much better than my own. He bravely led the vanguard, knocking aside discourteous downhill traffic. Even one of those he cast aside and climbed past proclaimed that this trail belonged to him.

3dAb0tD.jpg
    - We suspected that one of the non-right-of-way-yielding Lannisters got This-Is-Sparta'd off the San Juan moon door.

Joking aside, this has become one of my new favorite places to ride. I rode it 3 times before, and it seems to get more enjoyable with each visit. Despite me sounding like a whining old man, complaining about my back aching, I thought the climb was very pleasant overall, and the fast flowy luge stuff is always a blast. Speaking of blasts, the riding company made this ride experience a blast too, literally. *shakes head and laughs*

15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Yo Doug my saddle was down! Missed you Buddy!
    Strawberry This sat.

Mikie likes this.
  16. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Hey Herz, knee pads don't protect your head over that Boulder and you should see that bandana flying in the wind when we are bombing baby! Mikie may be sporting lycra but he sure don't ride like no roadie! Dude, Ross climbs steep nasty switchbacks faster than you can spin a wing nut !

Mikie likes this.
  17. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Awesome rr Mikie. It's always good when you and Ross get together. Mark is great company and dirty D well, it's a gas sparring with him on the downhills, we were haulin the mail Dirty D!. Dan is a great riding partner too an I hope to ride with him again.
    You guys rock, here's riding withya into the New Year!

rossage, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

So you're planing a snow ride? :eek:

Mikie likes this.
  19. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Will watch the weather.

Mikie likes this.
  20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    You guys are a blast! I have the time of my life every time we hit the trails! The Bomb Squad definitely sets the standard when it comes to riding EPICS.

Mikie likes this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    All fashion commentary by yours-truly is tongue in cheek and in no way intended to be transferable to riding skills. I get passed by guys in gym shorts, running shoes and reflectors, so I know that fashions do not translate to talent. That's why I always dress properly for mt. biking - I prefer looking and talking like I know what I am doing far more than proving it!

:shh: :shifty: :wave:

rossage and Mikie like this.
  22. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Hey hezalot, not sure if I've met you or not, regardless keep up the entertaining rhetoric, on whatever subject you choose .:lol:

Mikie likes this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks - it's what I do... Resident smartass! :thumbup:

Mikie likes this.
  24. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Lol I'm withya just contributing to the flow.

Mikie likes this.
  25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    This place is developing into the place I hoped it would. Just a bunch of good razzing fun wrapped around mountain biking...
    Thanks you guys, for setting the standards! :clap:

26. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 Member

Name:
    Eric
    Great RR!!!! One of my favorite loops :-D

Mikie likes this.
  27. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    This trail is not trimmed for 6'4" 30 in. Wide bar riders! Forearm guards next time.

Mikie likes this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    The picture slot machine strikes again!

And I still haven't climbed this or shuttled it... I've got a route for you, @Mikie. :whistling:

Tom the Bomb, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  29. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Great memories of that day...

30. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    These things have meshed into a single euphoric memory. So many safety breaks; it's hard to tell them apart anymore.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?