San Juan - Upper Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Rob S., Jan 14, 2014.

1. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    My friend had heard from someone that San Juan was a big-epic-challenging-mega-ride, and she would never commit to going there. She's a good rider, and I know she can do it, but steering people is not my strong suit. So a week ago, in the middle of the week, we were looking for something to ride. I suggested that we not do an up and back, and not even a shuttle, but we'd ride Bluejay to Cocktail, and make a loop out of it.

The weather was perfect, the scenery was gorgeous, and we only saw one other rider, right near the truck. The whole wilderness belonged to us. There's a lot to be said for mid-week adventures.

Now that she's done the upper loop (which is harder than a top-to-bottom shuttle), we'll be doing the shuttle soon, and then maybe the up-and-back.

Here's a couple pictures:

The giant rocks dwarf riders and the trail.

Obligatory poser shot atop Cocktail Rock.

There are a lot of ancient walnuts in the ravines.

Atop Cocktail Rock.

A whole lot of scenery.

DSC04784.jpg

DSC04789.jpg

DSC04796.jpg

DSC04809.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

2. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Thanks RI for the RR and pics. A friend and I did the bottom to Cocktail last Thursday. We were the only two cars in the lower lot and did not see a soul either. Weekdays are definitely the best time for San Juan. I used to love starting at Blue Jay and go down Chiquito to the waterfall and back up around the loop. For some reason we mostly start at the bottom lately, probably to avoid the extra time it takes to drive up to blue jay. But I miss that top portion of SJT so will make a point of getting up there soon.

BTW, rode with you about a year ago, B* to Sierra Peak with Irv if you remember.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Super sahweet!!
    Thanks for the report RI...
    Those pics came out great!
    Being from so far North (Frazier Park), I have no idea where San Juan is. I'm starting to hit the San Gabes with rossage and Tom the Bomb more and every time we hit a trail down there I am blown away at how much I have missed over the years :x .

I would like to come down (wherever that is) and hit dat stuff this up coming year! I'm never afraid to drive...

Thanks again!
    Mikie

4. Rob S.

Rob S. Member

Name:
    Rob Skinner
    Hey, Dave. That's been a while since B*. Irv has been expressing interest in a jaunt up San Juan. I understand what you're saying regarding the extra time to drive to Blue Jay. I had never driven there before.

Mikie, we should do a ride down this way. This weekend I'm backpacking, and the following Saturday I'll be obligated to stick close to home for my birthday party.

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I'm down. We'll be working something out in the near future...

6. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Thanks for the report. So much to ride, I love this sport! :cool:

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    San Juan is best done during the week as it gets over run with shuttlers on the weekends. Shame really. Such a good climb up too! :roll:

BonsaiNut likes this.
  8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Picture Slot Machine...
    Whatever happened to good ole' Rusty Iron aka @Rob S. ... :( Although I know this is not Rob... :p
    img_0984-jpg.631.jpg

herzalot likes this.
  9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Blast from the past Picture Slot Machine again... 2014 Ride Report.
    dsc04809-jpg.jpg

Danimal likes this.
  10. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    One of my favorite rides... For years I only bothered to cocktail Rock bc I did not know the good stuff was past cocktail..the downhill is just desserts!

11. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    @konakc I did the whole trail last Sunday. The upper portion from cocktail to bluejay needs some serious TLC. lots of over growth.

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.