San Juan Trail Work Jan. 6th

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by mtnbikej, Dec 29, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 01-06-18
  1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Time to give back. Everyone can/should give up at least one day of riding to help out on the trails that we use.*

Saturday, January 6th:
    Trail work/rehabilitation on the upper loop of the San Juan Trail.

The Warriors Society will be performing trail work/rehabilitation on the upper loop of the San Juan Trail

• Meetup is at the Bluejay campground at 8:00 am
    • Food & drinks provided after the event
    • Wear sturdy hiking gear & gloves
    • Tools provided but bring full size cutters/pruners if you have your own

WHAT: Brushing the "Upper Loop" on San Juan trail
    WHEN: Saturday, 2018-01-06
    WHERE: staging from Blue Jay campground, at the overflow parking next to site 36
    TIME: 8:00 AM sharp

You: Bring sturdy shoes, gloves, trail snacks, water. A folding chair and a dry shirt for the post-work luncheon.

We'll work the upper loop down to Cocktail Rock, brushing back the vegetation which is encroaching on the trail corridor. If we can get enough of a crew together, we will use gas trimmers.

Bring loppers and folding saws if you have 'em. The Warrior's Society will provide loppers and saws, along with the gas trimmer(s), if we are able to use them.

RSVP super important for this one.

RSVP to:

countingcoup@warriorssociety.org
    ecksteinly29@gmail.com

*My opinion....not that of the organizers of this trailwork.

2. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Huh , what I asked for and have done before that's a full day's worth of work let me make sure I am clear, then I will RSVP.
    TFPU

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    With a big enough crew and power tools....it goes by quickly.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Quite possible. TFPU!

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  5. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    So is IMTB the correct place to express my outrage at whatever work is done if it doesn't agree with how I think the trail should be enjoyed?

(Asking for a friend... who never does trailwork but won't like whatever work is done)

6. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    @evdog Please have him send his comments to:

/dev/null

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    People who don't do the work....have no place complain. If you don't like how something is being done, then go out and help. :thumbsup:

With that said, the trail is in serious need of a brushing...unless you truly enjoy rubbing up in the poison oak. :gag:

Since your "friend" doesn't want to help out with trailwork, the trails get cut back a little farther so that we don't have to go back next year. With limited resources, having to brush a trail every year is a lot of work. Throw in a wet year like this year, and the brush becomes too much. You get trails like Holy Jim where the brush on the upslope starts pushing users to the outside of the trail...this eventually begins to fail. There are legitimate reasons for doing it the way it's done.

The ground is too dry for any earthwork, so it'll only be brushing.

So no, this really isn't the place for it. ;)

MattB, Erik H - MWBA, mike and 8 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    You really have to be a geek to understand this... I used to have a sign over my door that said "Hier spricht man Unix." :whistling:

And I'll be out of town again... Road trip with the boys. Taking one back to the U of O, and stopping at two colleges along the way for the younger one to take a gander.

9. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    RSVP sent.

I have a small folding saw, a folding lopper on the way via late xmas present (a Gerber Myth Folding Lopper), and a Ryobi 40v 24” Hedge Trimmer with (2) batteries…should be good for nearly 2-hours of run time and without the dangers of gasoline.

I have a pack that I can use to ride in with the equipment if necessary.

Additionally, should a little bit of moisture in the forecast materialize, I can also pack in my Trail Boss kit for spot work (if needed).

For those unable to make this trip, (warning, thread hijack), there are upcoming trail work days within the OC Parks system through SHARE (http://sharemtb.com) and the Laguna Canyon Foundation (https://lagunacanyon.org/volunteer/). Even without rain, there is always work that can be done...sometimes it ain't sexy, but if we can do our best to keep single track single and double track having appropriate options, we all win.

MattB, herzalot, DangerDirtyD and 7 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Thanks Dan. :thumbsup:

pperrelle likes this.
  11. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    I am in, need to send RSVP... I have little to no equipment, folding saw I think, gloves. But hey my contribution is to follow directions, apply muscle and effort & get it done . I ran some sessions of the power loppers at a quick pace a couple years ago on Pinos...good hard rewarding work. Not sure I am that fit this year but well see.

Edit: RSVP complete

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Thanks Steve....

If they get enough volunteers they will use gas powered trimmers. They break into groups of 3....1 sunning the trimmer and 3 swamping begins them, and switch off. I know WS has 7 of them, not sure about the other group.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and bvader like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Update:

If you are free this Saturday consider joining us and help keep the trails open:

WHAT: Brushing the "Upper Loop" on San Juan trail
    WHEN: This Saturday, January 6th
    WHERE: staging from Blue Jay campground, at the overflow parking next to site 36
    TIME: 8:00 AM sharp

You: Bring sturdy shoes, gloves, trail snacks, water. A folding chair and a dry shirt for the post-work luncheon.

We'll work the upper loop down to Cocktail Rock, brushing back the vegetation which is encroaching on the trail corridor. If we can get enough of a crew together, we will use gas trimmers.

Bring loppers and folding saws if you have 'em. The Warrior's Society will provide loppers and saws, along with the gas trimmer(s), if we are able to use them.

RSVP super important for this one.
    Keith Eckstein
    949 331 3101
    ecksteinly29@gmail.com
    and/or
    John Nobil
    johnnobil@gmail.com

14. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Bringing a friend tall Brit friend of mine that got beat up / scratched up last time we rode SJT... Think he wants a little revenge ;)

I RSVPd him too

herzalot, mtnbikej and pperrelle like this.
  15. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Ha, just joking about the inevitable complainers. Years ago I'd heard there were so many people moaning about any work done on SJT that few people were willing to work on it. Brushing not a big deal but for some reason people seem to lose their sh*t if you change the trail bed, even if it is badly needed and the work well done.

Faust29 likes this.
  16. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Well we got it done ... Cocktail Rock to Viejo Tie & Chaquito is now awesome. I had a rather comical outing but it turned out very rewarding. At one point about 1/3 in I had no soles on my Lowa boots (both delaminated) , lost a glove and broke my loppers. BUT ... I had my hand saw and went to work and went deep and really cleared some serious sections, cleared enough to be able to ride through inside lines again...

Calvin and Crew (who I was supposed to be with) caught up /came through and I got to run the power loppers.... Not sure what it is but * I love that!* I ran them till I could not safely run / lift them then passed them off and swamped (tossing / clearing cuttings).

Good day, perfect temps lots of work. I also get to see some good folks I don't often see.

In a once in a lifetime event (like a self touchdown today) Both of Lubics boot delaminated too!!! Inconceivable. Mine were 6years old and spent the summer in the garage, lesson learned.

I'll be a bit sore, Especially my feet but I feel like we really accomplished something.

All please enjoy!!! I know I will.

Hapless Brown
    Screenshot_20180106-190436.png

""Boots"" at the end thank God I had inserts in

IMG_20180106_150929.jpg

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Now that is determination.

Thanks for helping out.

Old&InTheWay, herzalot and bvader like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Thanks everyone! Sorry I missed it. I seem to have awoken in Colorado this morning. But I'm back now.