San Jose mountain biker killed in crash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, May 17, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It seems like we see another sad story every day... :unsure: Rest in peace.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/16/sjm-bikefolo-0516/

San Jose: Cycling community mourns Mount Hamilton crash victim

Ever Portillo may have been trying to avoid a fire truck while navigating a downhill curve on Quimby Road west of Mount Hamilton Road.
    Robert SalongaMay 17, 2017 at 4:57 am
    SAN JOSE — The South Bay cycling community is mourning the death of an avid San Jose mountain biker who died Monday in a crash near Mount Hamilton, and authorities say the victim may have been trying to avoid a fire truck when he went down.

Ever Portillo, 41, of San Jose, died while navigating a downhill, right-banking curve on Quimby Road about three-quarters of a mile west of Mount Hamilton Road, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Portillo was formally identified Tuesday by the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office. Cycling colleagues noted that he also went by Ever Portiz.

A preliminary investigation revealed that Portillo was riding his Volagi Viaje XL bike eastbound alongside another cyclist and traveling about 20 mph when they encountered an oncoming westbound Cal Fire truck heading uphill, CHP Officer Ross Lee said.

Both cyclists rounded the corner and saw the truck, and the other rider got past the vehicle, Lee said. The crash remains under investigation, but Lee said it appears that Portillo braked hard, then went over his handlebars and hit his head on the roadway.

The fire truck, also traveling about 20 mph, came to an abrupt stop, Lee said. Portillo, who was wearing a helmet, rolled and eventually came to rest at or near the truck.

“It does not appear that there was a collision between the bike and the truck,” he said.

Lee said Portillo might have lost control looking to avoid a collision or trying to get around the fire truck.

Portillo, who is survived by his wife, was remembered fondly by his cycling colleagues in local online forums and on social media. Shiloh Ballard, executive director of the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition, knew him through the tight-knit mountain biking community and described him as a kind and humble cyclist who was also a very proficient rider.

Ballard recalled seeing him at biking sojourns to destinations like Park City, Utah, and Graegle, near the California-Nevada border northwest of Reno.

“He was just an upstanding guy,” Ballard said. “He liked having a good time, enjoying the outdoors and enjoying life.”

Anyone with information about Monday’s crash on Quimby Road can contact the CHP San Jose area field office at 408-467-5400.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Truly awful. Doesn't sound like he was mt. biking nor on a mt. bike.

Condolences to his family and friends. Ride in Peace brother - or in rowdy crowds of other fallen riders. Take a run with Kelly McGarry or Stevie Smith, if that indeed is possible in the hereafter.

Sad.

Redman likes this.
  3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You are correct... The bike is a "gravel grinder" type with skinny tires.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  6. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Quimby actually gets a fair amount of traffic for being such a road. It connects to My Hamilton, popular for riders and recreational drives. Goes to Grant Park, a county park and there is Lick Observatory up top. Gets snow in the winter.
    Amgen Tour of California used it Monday.
    I rode it a couple of times in high school and remember it being ungodly steep.

RIP to the fallen rider

7. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    RIP, very sad to hear.

8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Ride In Peace!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?