San Gabriel Mountains, ANF

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by rossage, Jan 30, 2017.

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Strawberry is still in excellent shape. Same two trees down on the backside. They will be there until someone gets a chainsaw out there.
    There's at least 4 trees down on the Gabrielino between Red box and switzers. Easy to get over, around.

Get some!

2. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Now is the time to hit Chantry, the shutdown means the gate at the bottom is closed, so nice 3 mile warm up, but also means you can have the winter creek loop almost all to yourself...

Mikie, mike, Cisco Roots and 4 others like this.
  3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier

Not having ever ridden anywhere ANF, go get it!

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Jim, you gotta change that, it’s full value. Need more myself.

5. IanKLarson

IanKLarson Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ian Larson
    Current Bike:
    Norco Sight
    I'm going to be traveling out next week for work and am fortunate enough to be staying near this trail system, so I'm packing my bike and bringing it out. That said, I've never even been in the area this time of year, much less ridden it. I can see the forecast for Upland (which is where i'm staying) but curious how much elevation comes into play at these trails? Any tips on what I should be packing for clothing is much appreciated! Planning to be on the trail most of the day Friday if anyone feels inclined to track me down, as well!

herzalot, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Welcome! It'll be cold, though not Kansas cold, and we're supposed to get rain Friday afternoon. Snow above 6,000 feet.

Upland isn't very close to Chantry; it would be about 25 miles, on a work day, in our wonderful traffic.

Worth doing but don't underestimate how long it will take.

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    There will be considerable climbing and from what I hear, the gate at the bottom of the entrance is locked which means you would have a 2-3 mile uphill pavement climb before you even reached any dirt.

Since you are in Upland, I'd consider Marshall Canyon and or Monroe Truck Trail instead. Both are closer. Everything around here requires considerably and consistent climbing but the reward back down makes it all worth it. :cool:

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    Nice! What kind of work you do? I was born and raised in Upland.

You would climb at least 1,500’ or up to 10k if you fancy. It will be up to 4o-55 degrees and raining or below 40 and snowing if you go above 6,000’ elevation, so consider that. Are you into flow or chunk or a mix of both? Marshall Canyon and Monroe Truck trail are flow, Chantry (and most of ANF) is chunk, and Barrett Stoddard is somewhat of a mix. These are your closest trails. I’d love to show you around, but I can’t this week(end).

It likely will rain on a Friday, so Marshall Canyon is not a good option. Barrett Stoddard, Monroe, and Chantry are viable. Also you can travel up Hwy 2 into ANF for lots of decomposing granite riding if you feel frisky (i.e., if your skills are up to riding solo in stormy/snowy conditions on somewhat challenging terrain). The weather also means there won’t be many randos you would run into to follow around out there.

Hopefully someone here who could ride doesn’t take opportunity for granted and is obliged to play good host. PM me if you’d like some trail details, but unless you are a comfortable rider with a bike in good working order, heading into the ANF or Barrett Stoddard solo in a storm is, well, badass either way!

Mikie, mike, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Rain on Friday?! Thats wishful thinking.

Mikie, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  10. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    @DangerDirtyD had great points. What type of trails do you usually ride? How do you feel about exposure? Are you looking for minimal climbing? Marshall Canyon is probably the closest trail system to you, but if it rains more this week it might be pretty soggy, Monroe truck trail is very close and rides great in the rain. Can be shuttled or out and back. Just over 2000 ft climbing on it, over about a 7 mile stretch.

If you are looking to make a day of it then the trails around Mt. Wilson can be shuttled if you don't want to climb, (can still get climbing in), or some great out and back. I did Chantry a few days ago and because of the shutdown the gate is closed, so extra 3 mile climb...total for the ride was ab out 2200, so still average for around here. Clothing... depends on the day... I usually wear a compression layer under my shirt, and wool socks.... gets a little chilly on open fire road descents... but nothing unbearable.. But I don't go too deep into the mountains or higher up (until i get better gear).

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, mike and 4 others like this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    @SnakeCharmer is correct (for now)....rain won’t happen until Saturday (again as of right now). Marshall Canyon would be totally doable, but like @Derkderkall suggests, Monroe Truck Trail is the most easily navigable as an up and back. Round trip 14.5 miles. Also good point @Runs with Scissors...driving the 210 fwy to/from Chantry and Upland on a Friday is no bueno (we Californians speka Spanich tambien). If it doesn’t rain on Friday, you’ll probably find company to ride Marshall Canyon during the day if you park in the north parking lot of Oak Mesa Park in La Verne or Monroe Truck Trail if you park in the western turnout just north of the intersection of Glendora Mountain Road and Big Dalton Canyon Road.

You won’t find any company on Barrett Stoddard because that trail sucks and no one here likes to ride sucky trails.;) Seriously tho, you’d be alone on Stoddard.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    The issue with MTT is the raging torrent that occurs, if/when it does rain, in the creek bed for the last mile of the ride at the bottom. Ive had to cancel the trip trying to cross it for a climb up.

But, it wont rain on Friday so thats mot a concern.

Mikie and mike like this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    Be a man and drop Mystic Canyon, breh!

Mikie, mike, IanKLarson and 3 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I have!!! But a series of gappers across the raging torrent would be more funner!!!

Mikie, mike, IanKLarson and 1 other person like this.
  15. IanKLarson

Name:
    Ian Larson
    Current Bike:
    Norco Sight
    Thanks for the heads up on traffic. I'm not planning to do much, if anything, after work during the week. I travel in on the 14th and will be done with work around mid-day Thursday. The rest of Thursday and all day Friday (17th and 18th) will be my trail days. Or, all day Friday until my fitness runs out! :) Kansas winter has not had me on a bike much in the last 2-3 months or so.

herzalot, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  16. IanKLarson

Name:
    Ian Larson
    Current Bike:
    Norco Sight
    Thanks for the details! I have all the rooted, rocky, technical that I can stomach in the KC area.. would love to hit something with some more flow (and I certainly don't mind a climb if it is followed by some gravity fueled fun!)

herzalot, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    I would say then, Monroe truck trail would be perfect for Thursday after work,

Friday, well the world is yours

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Second this ^^ :thumbsup: Monroe is a fun, flowy 7 miles of singletrack.

19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    There's a BIG WHITE Strawberry up in ANF right now for you to tackle Mr. @rossage...

20. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

I was checking it out from the KB memorial before you started typing.

I'm probably going out to Strawberry tomorrow. In conditions like that, with downed trees and new rockfalls, combined with the snow and ice, I'd prefer to have a partner to suffer with.
    Any victims?

Cisco Roots, MrGreedom, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  21. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Sounds romantic.... :gag:

22. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Well, I ain't gonna hold your hand, but I might grab your ass!

Mikie, mike, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    White van?? o_O

Mikie, mike, rossage and 5 others like this.
  24. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
  25. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Let me know how it is. Im planning to do Strawberry+Gab on Saturday.

Mikie, mike, scottay and 1 other person like this.
  26. patnugent

patnugent Newbie

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    pivot 5.5
    I'm in the same boat as Ian. Will be in the LA area tomorrow and Friday with all the time in the world to ride... What are the best bets? I have my bike in a box next to me in my office and fly out this evening, I haven't booked any accommodations yet for tonight and tomorrow night, but am thinking about staying in/around Pasadena and hitting San Juan tomorrow and Mt Wilson Friday, I would love input as to what would be in the best shape... I am also fine heading in a different direction with my plans.

Has it rained as much as it seems like it has out there? Our trails in NY haven't been dry since mid summer.

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  27. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I got called into work after I posted this... Working Wed-Thurs so I won't know until Friday ... If I get out there.
    There are several new trees down on the Red Box - Switzers portion so be aware of that.

Mikie, mike and MrGreedom like this.
  28. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Unfortunately, it has been raining for a few days straight here and it won't stop until sometime tomorrow morning. Our trails are very wet but many of them are decomposed granite, which drains fast. Not the best conditions, currently. The creeks here will likely be flowing as well.

29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I bet the creek through there will be roaring, too.

IME, "I got called into work..." is code for "secret ride with friends". :rolleyes:

Mikie, mike, scottay and 2 others like this.
  30. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    If you can drive 100 miles east from Pasadena, the Palm Canyon Epic is awesome. Look it up and see if Xavier with CrazyBearBikes.com is shuttling folks. He may be able to pick you up from Pasadena if you call his cell and ask.

Alternatives are Sycamore Canyon in Riverside, which are a bunch of braided trails (when in doubt, climb and then pick the rockiest singletrack to drop and do that over and over again).

Mikie, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.