San Gabriel Mountains, ANF

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by rossage, Jan 30, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Excellent report!

Too bad about Chilao...it's sucks being perfect!
    Now if only my knee would co-operate.

Faust29, mike, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  2. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Rode Inspiration down to Chaney Friday the 31st. 2 down trees on Middle merrill. All else is chunky! Thanks @alexfore :thumbsup:.

3. alexfore

alexfore Member

Name:
    Alex F
    I've also heard valley forge is loaded with down trees. It is like that up there everywhere! Our chainsaw sawyers are out there working it, they are tackling the Gab first before moving on to other trails

4. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Dr. Wellington Yueh Member

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    From SoCalHiking reddit, Gab is clear from Red Box to Valley Forge CG as of a few days ago. Rincon Rd is clear for the same stretch, then OK-ish to West Fork CG. Still bad east of there.

Here's Mt Wilson summit yesterday (9-FEB) afternoon:

Most of Chilao is fine, but Vetter Tr is a mess. BTW, they're rebuilding the Vetter Lookout. It's almost done.

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, the lookout is looking good.
    IMG_20191220_085839__01.jpg

Luis, mike, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Strawberry is open for business! Not perfect, but very good trail conditions. Several trees down but they are easy over/under and don't hurt the flow. Same with the Red box to Switzer downhill.
    Most of the brush has been cut back and the tràction is melache, baby.
    IMG_20200305_102810.jpg
    Get some!

Luis, mike, Oaken and 7 others like this.
  7. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    How is the Gabrielino from Switzer down to JPL right now? Couldn't tell from above if that part had been cleared or if it was the Gab elsewhere being worked on.

mountaingirl sara and rossage like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Good question.
    I've been asking around but the answers are vague...
    Anyone wanna go look?

9. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    I've been wanting to do that route for a minute now. When is good for you? I'll text you.

mountaingirl sara and rossage like this.
  10. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    I've been wanting to do that route for a minute now. When is good for you? I'll text you.

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  11. alexfore

alexfore Member

Name:
    Alex F
    Gab between redbox and switzers has been chainsawed, as of a few weeks ago (may be new trees down!). I know few ppl that have been riding it between switzer's and JPL, and there are a bunch of down trees but they have been limbed up to make them easy to pass. I say go for it! I think some of us are planning to do more hand sawing out there soon.

With rain forecast for next week hopefully the chainsaw crews can get out again!

12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Good to know. Gotta keep an eye on the weather...
    I am available weekdays for Trailwork so let me know if you need help out there.

Erik H and mountaingirl sara like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Finally got out and rode Strawberry.

The ANF is completely zooed out! People in every turnout. Illegally parked, whipping u-turns, not a cop in sight.
    The 210 was running like the AutoClub Speedway, I was going 80, getting passed on both sides by 100mph SUVs and minivans:eek:

But the trail, the loop is in amazing shape. Still a couple of small trees down but nothing major. The Gabrielino section from Redbox to Switzer is pretty much wide open with occasional hikers and off-leash dogs.
    Switzer day use area is closed for the time being so you have to park up top.
    I usually do the loop solo in about 2:35, but today for some reason, I did it in 2:18, one of my fastest times in a while. On my XC Chisel with a 120mm Fox 32 noodle fork...hmmm:cool:

IMG_20200322_115714.jpg
    IMG_20200322_115743.jpg

Get up there and get some soon before this party gets shut down.:thumbsdown:

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Rode and crawled and pulled my bike over a succession of downed trees on Valley Forge trail this am. Do not waste your time until you know a chainsaw crew has gone through it.
    You have been warned.

Extra bonus was almost hitting a momma bear as I came around a corner. Dropped the cutest cub in the dust. Mom took off and the cub went thirty feet up a tree in seconds. We took off too, before Momma came back!

15. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    VF has been a mess for a while now. Right before all this virus crap shut down the world, Lowelifes RCC did a couple of chainsaw days working down from the top. There was a lot of work ahead of us at that point and I'm sure plenty more has fallen now over the past few months.

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, the handsaw got old real quick. There's just too much to do.
    Thanks @Erik H !

17. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    As you may know, the USFS ANF forest may be "open" but all volunteer activity is still currently "on hold until further notice"

18. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    If you're out by Newcomb Pass, keep your wits sharp. I saw Pete Puma (~60kg) there on Tuesday. He/she was sleeping in the grass that is overgrowing the connector trail. He/she split when I yelled "Hey, kitty!"

Shortcut Rd between Rincon Rd and the river is slightly more passable...yeah, hand saws... UGH!

19. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Monroe Truck Trail.
    Dirt is fantastic. My bike and my legs were covered in wet tacky dirt.

But

Getting overgrown. Manageable up to the second lookout at the top of punk out trail. Afterr that it's quite close quarters.

20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Pretty much the same story all over. Maximum growth and zero maintenance will do that for us.
    Yesterday at Chilao, the trails are in great shape but the brush is unavoidable. Long sleeves and pants this time of year.

21. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    The Saboteur placed a 'pike' (dead pine branch) in the bushes almost at the bottom of the Chilao-Charlton section. Found it last week and removed it. I know it was placed because I've been brushing that section recently. I'll try to get that bad spot in the water bars soon.

Otherwise, agreed, Silver Moc is generally in excellent shape in the C-Flats area.

rossage likes this.
  22. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Chantry Flats has been closed for about 2 weeks due to major crowds and access issues for emergency vehicles.

New update, will now be closed on weekends.

CHANTRY FLAT RECREATION AREA TO CLOSE ON WEEKENDS
    Arcadia, Calif. – The Angeles National Forest will be temporarily closing weekend access to the ChantryFlat recreation area, starting Saturday, June 13, due to heightened public safety concerns.

Recreation areas across the Angeles National Forest have been experiencing exceptionally high numbers of visitors. In the Chantry Flat recreation area, visitor vehicles continue to exceed available parking. Vehicle congestion and illegal parking on the narrow mountain roads have resulted in constricted roadways that block access by emergency crews and limits public egress in an emergency.

With the arrival of hot, dry conditions, it is imperative that fire crews and emergency vehicles have adequate access for public safety. The temporary closure of Chantry Flat is currently limited to weekends only, Saturdays and Sundays.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/angeles/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD749379

Weekday access, Monday through Friday, will remain open. The Angeles National Forest is working with state and local partners to find solutions to the recent overcrowding and increasingly heavy traffic volume on mountain roadways. Until then, it is necessary to temporarily close weekend access for public safety.

Chantry Flat is a recreation area within the Angeles National Forest, about three miles into Big Santa Anita Canyon, and closely associated with the communities of Arcadia, Monrovia and Sierra Madre. The flat itself has a public picnic area, and is the starting point for several historic trails, including the 28.5- mile (45.9 km) Gabrielino Trail.

The road to Chantry Flat is the third busiest entry into the Angeles National Forest, after California State Highways 2 and 39.
    Finally, please remember that the Angeles National Forest has enacted strict fire restrictions. With an above-normal fire season projected, using a fire on national forests in California, outside of developed campgrounds, is generally prohibited.
    For more information, please visit our website: www.fs.usda.gov/angeles. For questions, please contact Public Affairs officer, John Clearwater, at (626) 425-2150, or
    john.clearwater@usda.gov.

23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I haven't been up there in a couple of months due to the closure and then the crowds. I think they should permanently close the road up to limit the numbers of people.

24. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    Yeah...sad...but they gotta do something. It's been almost that bad at Switzers-Colby and Red Box. Farkin' morons parked in the highway lanes!

SnakeCharmer and rossage like this.
  25. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy

Might be the perfect time to go. Not too many hikers willing to walk that 3.5 from the gate to the parking lot. Hmmm?

Want to donate to imtbtrails?