San Gabriel Mountains, ANF

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by rossage, Jan 30, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    cmon sissy's, unicycle!!!

Mikie and mike like this.
  2. SS Barby

SS Barby Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Definitely agree! It's a looong climb as well.

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Strawberry is in typical late fall condition. Looooose on the downhill into the Potrero. Brush not too bad.
    Gabrielino from Red Box to Switzers is fast and fun. No trees down.
    Get some! IMG_20191107_081712.jpg
    I like how the zoom made everything fuzzy, ala Guccione... :whistling:

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 8 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Strawberry is in great shape after the trailwork. Still needs some brush work, especially in the Potrero.
    3 new trees down on the Gabrielino between Red box and switzers. Heads up!

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 7 others like this.
  5. alexfore

alexfore Member

Name:
    Alex F
    Thanks Ross! Last Sunday we had 46 people out, and like 30 wildland firefighters, they were doing amazing work. We did nearly all the treadwork projects from Josephine to the "Trail" rock.

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 6 others like this.
  6. alexfore

alexfore Member

Name:
    Alex F
    We are planning to work on Ken Burton on Dec 8th! The entire trail needs heavy brush work and we need as many hands on it as we can. We also will try to use lots of power tools and bob trailers to tow them up so we can get as much done as possible! Details to appear soon in the usual mediums (FB, insta, eventbright)

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 4 others like this.
  7. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You might get more hands for this if you start a new thread!

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 3 others like this.
  8. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    I’ll come out and help but for a trade off, AT in Acton is in desperate need of a big posse of trail clearers top to bottom!

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 3 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Check out MWBA or CORBA online.
    Lots of great info.

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  10. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Post it up pumpkin!:cool:

11. alexfore

alexfore Member

Name:
    Alex F
    San Gabes DG is prime! We organized a little MWBA work day on El Prieto yesterday adding some sustainable drains for managing water as well as rehabbing a corner. But today I ride!20191129_095227.jpg

Our new Pres, carrying more tools than all the rest of us guys:
    IMG_4356.JPG

The Ken Burton work day should be posted up on social media today, I'll start up a thread for that when it shows up. Go ride your bikes!

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 17 others like this.
  12. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Gonna be in LA for the holidays and can't wait to get a lap in on El P and Sunset! Maybe some strawberry mtn action too!

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  13. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Dr. Wellington Yueh Member

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    Quick note re: Mt. Wilson area conditions::

"The last storm did some severe damage in the Mt. Wilson area (north side, West Fork). Many hundreds of trees blown down on Shortcut Road and Rincon Road (probably also all trails in the area). I did what should have been a quick ride yesterday that turned into a '3 hour tour' as I dragged my bicycle through the horizontal forest. This is the worst deadfall event I've seen up there!" (quote from a note I posted on another site)

The trails in the immediate area - Shortcut Silver Moc, Rim Trail, Kenyon-Devore, Gabrielino east of Red Box, Valley Forge - are probably all quite blocked. Not sure if this also affects Gab west of Red Box or Strawberry Peak.

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Big tree down near the top of Valley Forge, didn't go any further down.
    Tree down about a half mile up from Red Box on the Strawberry trail.
    It's that time of year.

Mikie, mike, Fueledbyex8 and 6 others like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Hwy 2 sign now says that the road is open to Newcomb. Got get some freezing ass Silver Moccasin!

Mikie, mike, Fueledbyex8 and 2 others like this.
  16. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    Yesterday, I tried to go up Tujunga Rd to see if I could get up by Pacifico or something more desert-ish...no go. TJ Rd was closed at Vogel Flat. I'm guessing all other roads into SG's were closed. I ended up on Mendenhall again, and only made it just above Highline Saddle. Snow conditions were actually good (firm styrofoam over a good base) past that point, but getting deeper. It was clear that I'd not be having fun if I pushed further.

EDIT: I did try to go down the BPL road from Highline, but it is fairly overgrown. I'm interested in any possibility the Pacoima Cyn Tr can be resurrected. The BPL roadbed is in good shape, but there is only a faint use/game trail, with buckthorn, yucca, spanish broom, etc clogging the way.

The 'creek' in Pacoima Cyn was raging! I could hear boulders rolling around down there. Snow level was ~1100m/3700', and wasn't in any hurry to melt.

Here's the view up Pacoima Cyn, Mt Gleason in the background, right of center:
    170253048.CZPte4oV.20191229_153141.jpg

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 9 others like this.
  17. alexfore

alexfore Member

Name:
    Alex F
    Sunset and El P are in great shape right now, prime winter conditions! Still some snow on lowe road and presumably on Middle Sam Merrill. Yesterday there was a ton of trees down on Idlehour trail! And like 1' of snow. Took the CX bike up there

Mikie, NinjaDon, Oaken and 9 others like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Lots of trees down on Zion. Brushy too. UWC and LWC are in great shape but all the stream crossings have been reworked.
    IMG_20200102_081507.jpg

mike, Mikie, NinjaDon and 10 others like this.
  19. alexfore

alexfore Member

Name:
    Alex F
    I just sawed like 14 down trees on Middle Sam Merrill, sawed till my arms started to give out, or about 4 hours. There are about 3-4 left, one needs a big saw. But it is nearly all rideable again -- go get some!

IMG_4563.JPG

Luis, Fueledbyex8, mike and 14 others like this.
  20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    With a handsaw?!:geek: Yeah, that’s brutal!

herzalot, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Impressive. I don't ride there - but thank you! :thumbsup: :cool:

22. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    Thanks! But...GAWD...be careful! The larger ones should be left to the qualified sawyers. To wit, I almost got knocked off Rim Trail when trying to move what seemed a manageable size downer. They're like icebergs, hard to tell how the weight is distributed, and how it will move when you cut off a chunk.

BTW, been doing the same on Shortcut Rd...sawing is a very cathartic activity! :)

rossage, bvader, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Much gratitude for your effort! Pace yourself, my friend, be safe...

24. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Had to post some screenshots of the damage on the Gabrielino between Red box and Switzer.
    @alexfore and the McGuires and a host of others almost got it cleared but there's still work to do.
    Thanks so much you guys!
    Screenshot_20200105-201045.jpg Screenshot_20200105-201113.jpg
    Screenshot_20200105-201131.jpg

Luis, Fueledbyex8, bvader and 12 others like this.
  25. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    12-JAN-2020 Mt Wilson area: Rim Trail is really REALLY bad. The snow up top just doesn't melt. There are still drifts up to 1m/3ft deep across the trail on the summit. The upper switchbacks were a little creepy. The snow clears up about 120m/400ft below the summit, and then it's OK riding for about 2km/1.25mi, with some deadfall. Then the deadfall becomes the theme. About 1km/0.5mi before Newcomb Pass, it looks like a tornado rode right down the mountainside. A very wide path of destruction (dead and live trees downed regardless of size) cuts down to somewhere below the Rincon Rd. I was crawling through downed trees, dragging my bike, and for about 0.5km/0.25mi was not in contact with the trail surface.

I trimmed some on the way down Rim Tr, and some on Rincon Rd, but ran out of time and energy. Rincon Rd east of West Fork CG is generally terrible right now, but west from there up to Red Box is mostly riding, with easily passable deadfall.

My love of 'Mt Ventoux' finishes brought me a delightful return up Mt Wilson Rd, bright moonlight and snow everywhere, with light fog welling up the West Fork valley, dead calm air and minimal traffic. I tried to get some video with my phone, but no luck. The scene was just too dang sublime to be captured by any device made by humans.

Here's the scene on the summit, near the picnic table (pics or it ain't true, right?):
    170303059.LuAesrFk.20200112_141857.jpg

Faust29, Luis, Poofighter and 15 others like this.
  26. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Name:
    Tom Kenney
  27. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Good recon.:thumbsup:

Just like the last couple of years, the snow hits and stays around for a long time. Used to melt away in a day or two.
    What's that Dylan song?
    "The Climes they are a changin'"

28. alexfore

alexfore Member

Name:
    Alex F
    mike, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  29. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    Fire & Ice

Attempted Kenyon-Devore yesterday, 21-JAN-2019, didn't get very far. There's a controlled burn on the summit of Wilson presently. The cam (http://hpwren.ucsd.edu/cameras/I/wilson-n-mobo-c.html) should show the smoke at left edge for the duration. Yesterday, the smoke combined with the cloud cap and turned to a dense fog. I got almost 0.5km down the trail before I saw eerie little campfires surrounding me. ABORT!

Changed plan and headed to Rim Tr, discovered still too much snow, did not want to deal with anymore deadfall, so bailed on that one as well. Point the sled back toward the trailhead...and discover a gentle ding in my rear rim has caused a flat. What tiny dribble of Stans that is left (dang...almost made my maint window!) isn't really helping.

Oh, well... it was a nice afternoon drive at least.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?