Rwanda Ride

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Faust29, Dec 10, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Just got the email yesterday that the Rwanda ride has opened registration... This is a fun and worthy event. Just spreading the word for all the "northerners" on here, who may not have seen this in the past... Might be worth a drive down.

Hopefully, I won't have to carry the bike up the first climbs in O'Neill this time around. :)

<a class="postlink" href="http://50mr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://50mr.com</a>

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I think I have heard of this, it's the ride that gets kids bikes in Africa right? I'm at work and can't open the link right now...

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That is a big part of it... Supplying kids with utility bikes. They also sponsor and train the Rwandan pro riders, some of whom have become quite successful.

4. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    If I am remembering correct this will be my 7th or 8th time doing the ride. It is always a fun day with a big turnout.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    3rd time for me!

I registered this morning...

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    We did it 3 years ago. Hoping to do it again this year.

7. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    With Vision Quest being pushed back to Oct, I ended up signing up for this as a measurement of how (not) ready I am for VQ.

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    They really do put on a good ride... Aside from the occasional hiccup at the aid stations. If anyone wants a preride partner, let me know... The entire route is local for me. I'm always on part of it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I actually wouldn't mind syncing up for a pre-ride at some point. While I'm local (Aliso), I've never actually been on lots of those trails. I don't ride O'Neil or the part down to Casper's that much. I'm not terribly fast, and any pre-ride will have to be heavily negotiated with the wife for that much time on the bike :)

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Let me know when you are available, and we'll see what we can work out... I'm up for doing part or most of it. Sundays are better for me now, as most of our Saturdays are devoted to baseball for the next few months. Maybe some of the others on here will chime in.

If you have to choose part of the course based on available time, I'd recommend doing the Dove Canyon to Caspers Loop. The O'Neill section has a couple climbs, but there is nothing technical, whatsoever. It's all on the fireroads, and they avoid the singletrack. Caspers is also not technical, but there are some sandy sections, a few rocky areas, and more climbs...

11. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    How about we throw a tentative date for Sunday Feb 22nd out to see if we get any more takers, and then as we get closer (a week?) lock it in or move it as need be? The wife is pretty supportive, I just need to plan rides on either side of it with the appropriate amount of brevity to offset an epic :)

I'm actually up to do the entire route, as I need to test my fitness/nutrition more than anything else. I've done 50 miles, and I've done shorter mileage 6k elevation gained rides, but I haven't done both heavy miles and heavy elevation gained yet. I rode Casper's last year with the OC Classic series, so I'm familiar with that loop area, but nothing in between (which is the majority of the route).

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The only really bad part of the Rwanda ride is the climb out of Caspers.....and the flatness of Tijeras Creek.

Otherwise it is actually a nice ride.

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The 22nd works for me! The water is back on in Caspers, so there are refilling options...

The climb out of Caspers didn't get to me. For some reason, I like that one. I was still "chasing rabbits" at that stage. I really felt it climbing Live Oak at mile 45, and walked a 50 foot stretch just below the towers.

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I will be keeping an eye on the 22nd. If'n all y'all (that's the plural, by the way...singular is "y'all") are still doing it, let me know where you're starting from and I'll be there. This should be a blast.

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think we're past the "tentative" stage... :D

Looks like we'll be starting from the Oakley Building in Foothill Ranch. Street parking should not be a problem on a Sunday. I prefer an early start, but I'm game for the group consensus.

I lived in the south for 15 years. I can still manage a Y'all and an All'y'all every now and then! I used to get laughed at when I tried it with my western NY nasal accent, though...

16. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    This ride is coming up Saturday - and the weather is trying to scare me again. Currently it looks like it might get everything slightly wet Thurs & Friday with hopefully enough time to dry out for Saturday morning. I'm trying to talk the wife into bringing the kids out to Oakley for the fun/food after the ride ends, but we'll see. I do not look forward to riding in the mud, so even though we need the rain, I'm hoping it's more of a typical rain sprinkle that dries out 60min after the rain stops than any true rainfall.

I'm slightly worried about the cut off times for this event. I can do these long ass rides, but I'm slower than the majority (depending on the climbing - I'm a slow climber). These cut off times look fairly aggressive on paper. There was only one cut off time for the Pioneertown ride which seems a bit more sane than the 5 check points for this one.

I am looking forward to this and I hope the rain doesn't detract from the fun. (and yes Herz I'm looking forward to my XC and Enduro races later in the year too :p)

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm on part of the course right now... :) You will be absolutely fine with the cut offs. I plan on skipping the first 2 aid stops, and making my first break in Caspers before the east ridge climb.

18. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    In for the ride and will be manning he PureRideCycles tent later. I would be bummed to have another mud slog as well. If it were to happen, I am gonna remember the lesson that I learned last year and straight carry my bike up that first real climb.

19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    10:30 on a Tuesday morning and you can go out riding?? I are jealous!

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Locked and loaded and ready to go... I did hear Mr. Grant say at the registration that they were over 1200 this year!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429905843.373442.jpg

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Good luck to all the Rwanda Riders tomorrow. I really wanted to do this, but it just wasn't to be. Maybe next year.

Looking forward to the RRs and Stava routes on this one :)

22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    So...... is it raining in south OC?

Should I switch out my AKA to something with bigger knobs? (Do I have time to start shopping for a tire this afternoon?)

23. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'm in Aliso, and I haven't seen so much as a sprinkle. My window shield did look like it had been sprinkled upon when I got to it this morning (so a wee bit of sprinkles overnight?). While RSM/Foothill Ranch might have gotten more than we have here, I can't imagine it was enough to leave the trails wet outside of an odd pocket of poor drainage here or there. I'd be surprised if there was any standing water on the trails tomorrow.

24. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    thanks

25. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Last years mud climb was horrible. Looks like no rain in sight this time. Due to family illness we won't make the 50 this year, so bummed. Have fun.

r5.jpg

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There has been a sprinkle/mist on and off all day in RSM... Nothing substantial has fallen. If it stays this way, the trails will be great! :D

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I used so much energy on this section! My wheels got to the point that they wouldn't spin freely, so I ended up with the bike over my shoulder. And then I spent 20 minutes at the top scraping off mud!

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Good luck and have fun all! :clap: :wave: :thumbup:

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Scratch this... Steady rain in RSM at 9:00... Should be a fun day in the mud! :)

30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So how'd it go? Or is everyone still stuck in the mud out there???

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?