Running regular tires tubeless?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by kingaucho, Jun 18, 2018.

1. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    I have two pretty new regular non-TNT Geax tires (Saguaro and Aka, both 2.2) and would like to run them tubeless on my new wheelset (DT Swiss x1700 Spline Two). Is this a no no? Anything I should watch out for?

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  2. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    It might take a few rides to seal properly. I've used non tubeless folding tires before and sometimes the sidewalls don't hold in air and deflates initially. It takes a few rides to get them plugged properly. Dunno why it takes rides to do this, but that's been my experience. Pumping the tire up and spinning didn't work as well as taking them on the trail.

Also, obviously your wheel must be tubeless compatible with the appropriate valve stem.

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    I did that once with the original Maxxis Ikons that came on my Kona. These were not TR tires and mounted really easy with no levers needed. Very light and thin and flimsy tires. They sealed fine but I took them off after a couple weeks because I got to thinking how bad the outcome would be if I debeaded the front while riding.

4. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Thanks! Sounds like it may be a little risky. Will just run them with tubes until they wear out.

5. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Good plan.
    I tried the same thing with the same brand tire a few years back. Kept burping them. Kept scaring the crap out of me. Ran tubes in them until they wore out.

Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I can tell you in explicit detail what happens when the front tire debeads while riding...:whistling::unsure::oops:

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Yep. I ran regular tires tubeless for a minute, until the front slipped off the rim. Luckily didn't break anything, but came close!

Danmtchl, Mikie and kingaucho like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I did that once with non-tubeless tires. They held pressure well and I thought all was gonna be good, but... The sealant ended up delaminating the tire sidewalls of each tire. Yes, they were coming apart from the inside! :eek:

Danmtchl, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  9. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Holy cr@p! Glad I asked. Based on all of your stories, there is no chance I am trying it!

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Uh oh...I use non-tubeless tires on my tubeless rims with stand sealant. No issues so far for me, and I’m a Clydesdale with a 203 front rotor and am not afraid to use it.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Just to add when I went tubeless about 10 years ago all the info I came across basically said it was a crap shoot. Definitely not worth the risk.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I currently have a Saguaro Non-TNT mounted up tubeless on @horsebikerider hardtail on an Arch EX without issues.

It is one of the last tires that i continued to use that was not tubeless. It’s such a great tire, unfortunately the TNT version doesn’t fit the Stan’s 29er rims.

I’ve also run the AKA tubeless without issue. My only issues were not with the tubeless aspect....the tire just wore out way too quick.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    I saw the video:thumbsdown:

Evoracer, Danmtchl, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    You just end up running them higher pressure than you do with Tubeless Ready tires. I only burped 1 non tubless front tire....and that was my fault for not putting air in it before the ride.

DangerDirtyD, UPSed and Danmtchl like this.