RR: Trail 121... is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    All of this on Frazier Mountain West of Hungry Valley...

Not to be mistaken for Trail 120 which I have posted multiple times, Trail 121 actually comes before Trail 120 and ends much further south then Trail 120 into Hungry Valley...

I took @Voodoo Tom on a Trail 120 tour a couple of weeks ago. As we were cruisin east on the fire road towards Trail 120, Tom points out another trail on the right. Another trail? What the...

I tried to talk Tom into doing it then but I think he was pressed for time to get a good ride in but get home at a descent hour. So we headed off to get us some Trail 120.

Sorry Tom! I couldn't help myself!
    I thought I was not going to be able to ride at all this weekend. I live on a ranch that has a water well, and well... the well stopped pumping water. Turned out it was an electrical issue and that the well did not go dry. Wheewww! I was also planning to go down and hang out with @Cyclotourist and get some S.A.R.T. , but that was 3 hours away, 19 miles of riding which I still wanted to do, but then I heard the trees were still down across the trail and that made a great section, not so fun. I'm coming your way David! Promise!

So last night late, I decided to do this Trail 121 thing. I knew Voodoo Tom had other plans and it was way too late for an invite, so I did it alone.

New Garmin Graphics! Tired of the old STRAVA stuff!
    trail.121.arrasta trail.PNG

I had Cathy drop me off at the Lake of the Woods "T" intersection with Lockwood Valley Road. I rode from there out to Chuchupate Ranger Station where I started the usual climb up Frazier Mountain up to the abandoned "Look Out" Tower at the peak which is about a 7 mile climb. My legs were dead today I had not ridden all week since our Cannell Trail extravaganza last Saturday. It's starts out paved and turns to dirt 3 miles up at the Chuchupate Campground.

The Chuchupate Ranger Station. A new facility... your Adventure Pass money at work.
    DSCF0710.jpg

Thank goodness these are not gender confused. I could be a man OR a women and still use the bathrooms! So I did...
    DSCF0712.jpg

As you can see... I'm a TOTAL rebel!:cautious:
    DSCF0714.jpg

Almost glad I did it by myself. The upper section of trail is B.R.U.T.A.L!

The climb up Frazier Mountain was the usual suspect. There was more traffic then usual. One guy in a fancy SUV met me near the top and asked if I saw the behemoth rattle snake on my climb up, I said I did not. At the peak, the views still suffer tremendously from the fires throughout Southern California, it's depressing to see. None the less i was done with the big climbing and now it was on to Trail 121. Dropping down from the peak the road roller-coasters 5 miles out to trail 120. But, Trail 121 cuts off about 4 miles of fire road and I came across it faster then I thought!
    :thumbsup:

I videoed most of the trail. Holy Fashizzle! I had to even tripod some of the sections. Talk about baby heads on top of baby heads yet on top of more baby heads! Then to boot, all this on top of a slurry of gravel so NOTHING was stable (to include me for doing this alone!). This is officially a mega fat tire ride. My 2.30 Minions were cutting through the upper layer trying to find traction somewhere subsurface. There were sections of fun that would tempt you to come back, but their is much more climbing and mileage involved in this ride, so you would definitely have to approach this one from a different perspective. Positive it would NOT meet the "Climb vs. Reward" equation @herzalot would use to evaluate if it's a ride to conquer.

When I finally got to the bottom of Trail 121 I thought I would be at the valley floor of Hungry Valley. Far from it! It "T-Bones" into Trail 122 up on the side of the east face of Frazier Mountain...Huh? There were two Moto guys sitting at the intersection, when I came flying out skidding to a stop at the "T". They just looked at me and said," Where the hell did YOU come from!" I said the, "The top of Frazier Mountain." They asked if I started from there and I told them no I came from Lake of the Woods. They just both shook their heads and said, "No way."

I said, "Enjoy the rest of your ride!" and headed west on Trail 122...

Actually Trail 122 is a MUCH nicer trail that somewhat attempts to cling to an elevation as it skirts in and out of the canyons of Frazier Mountain. It had its rocky sections but it was much more groomed and had these big rollers some with a little punch, some I preferred to get off and hike as oppose to burn myself out on since I was not sure of what I still had in store. For the most part it headed down hill much to my delight!

On the climb up Frazier mountain... This still gives me hope...
    DSCF0715.jpg

Looking west on the climb up. Cuddy Valley with Mt. Pinos to the left and the San Emigdio Mountains on the right.
    DSCF0716.jpg

The outsider that flourished.
    DSCF0717.jpg

The turn off to the Look Out tower at the Frazier Mountain Peak, just a little more climbing. The double 4x4 posted sign broken off and leaning against a tree. Apparently your Adventure Pass funding NOT working.
    DSCF0718.jpg

A lot of the climb is shaded with big beautiful pines.
    DSCF0719.jpg

The arrival to Trail 121!
    DSCF0720.jpg

"Most Difficult", I spit on yo face! It was tough however, more of an exercise to stay on top of your bike then anything else.
    DSCF0721.jpg

After a series of up and down rollers I finally came to the junction of Trail 120, something I was quite familiar with. Ran into a bunch more Moto guys and we talked. I follow a guy and his son down to my next turn off. Got it on video, pretty cool I think. Made my usual left and had still more climbs to do to get outside the Hungry Valley borders. Hopped a couple gates. Climbed a couple more very punchy climbs, and finally got to the Juniper Ridge Estates I started building homes in several years ago. This drops me right on to Frazier Mountain Park road where I coasted down to Flying J and then left on Lebec Road that would take me North to Lebec Oaks Road that I would climb up to my house.

A nicer section of Trail 121. I will post up some pics off the GoPro of the actual trail...
    DSCF0722.jpg

Trail 122, much nicer trail obviously groomed for lesser experienced Moto riders...
    DSCF0723.jpg

DSCF0725.jpg

DSCF0726.jpg

DSCF0729.jpg

Final Gate crossing. Sheesh! It's like folks don't want us to ride here! How rude!
    DSCF0730.jpg

Hitting Bird Street, my final climb back on dirt I was dog tired. I just pulled most of my gear off and laid down on my front porch only to have "Wheeler", my dog, come over and attempt to lick my face.

Nearly 5 hours and just under 30 miles with over 5,000k of climbing I'm bushed!
    Is it worth it? As a solo ride for me again? No... But if I had some crazies come up and say they wanted to do it... in a heartbeat!

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Great RR but you officially suck for doing that one without me lol... Wasn't sure a couple weeks ago when we were up there but now after reading youre report that's exactly the trail I thought it was. Nice one.

Tom the Bomb, UPSed, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Yeeeeeesh!!! That was a courageous undertaking on your own. (saluting emoticon) :notworthy: :thumbsup: Good on ya, and yeah, you're right - not likely to entice me. :confused:

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I want to get some of that stuff. Hot, dirty, and nasty. Just like I like my women.

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Looks good to me! Herz must use new math in his equations...

Tom the Bomb, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Common core...?

Tom the Bomb, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Common Core emphasizes critical thinking, creative problem solving and real world application. Trail 121 would meet the "creativity" part of the solution, but fail miserably on the critical thinking aspect. As for "Real World" - nobody really knows what that means.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Climbing gates, climbing trees... it's all good! :)

Tom the Bomb, Luis and Mikie like this.