RR: Three Breweries in Redlands (and some bike riding)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Cyclotourist, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    OK, ride report is going here (Yes, I need instant gratification, I've had to wait a day already!!!).

This was a pretty fine day out! The original plan developed when the forecast said it was going to be 10 degrees cooler. Well, that went sideways, but only supposed to be 80F out. It was going to be a mixed group of local guys (possibly gals), tour buddies, and IMTB blokes. Ended up a little bit of all of that, so perfect! The aforementioned lady-riders must have taken a gander at us and split.

Approximate 10:30 start time from downtown in pleasant temps due to travel delays. No drop ride, so we wanted to start with a good precedent! Meandered across town and out the dirt. There was a lot of unexpected sand we ended up having to walk through, but AMAZING streams everywhere! I wouldn't shut up about how rare and unique that was!

47603562881_ac242b19c3_b.jpg

46879403904_063d1dea18_b.jpg

First stop was lunch at Hangar 24. We beat the crowds (it can get unpleasantly busy) and had great beer and food. This was 14 miles in, and it was heating up a bit, so it was great to stop. I think it was a good intro for what to expect!

46879404394_551a5bb94e_b.jpg

47603562851_eb184efe35_b.jpg

After Hangar, the climbing began. This was a straight shot across town, ending with a decent little hill to get up. Basically car-free though, so the only thing slowing us down was the heat. Summited that, followed with a fast dirt downhill, then across the freeway to a dirt parallel road, with some more climbing up to Sunset.

32661026227_9e79afecb1_b.jpg

32661026337_3402dc15f6_b.jpg

Due to the heat, we made a decision on the fly to skip the Oakmont trails. They're amazing and it's so beautiful out there, but it would require close to an hour of extra saddle time in the heat of the day. Easy choice to bypass. I threw a little bit of unplanned dirt in via Caroline Park. More trails including a little bush-whacking. Followed by a perfectly placed lemonade stand.

46879405484_dcf76f6b34_b.jpg

32661026967_fd16db8498_b.jpg

Carriage Trail awaited, where we had our first and only mechanical when Arnold contemplated the positive aspects of a 1X set up. We rode parallel to San Timoteo Creek for a bit, then headed through former orange groves that are now mega churches and warehouses. All downhill to Escape Brewery!

We ended up skipping Ritual, as it's the furthest out, and as mentioned, it was hot and a long day already. Escape is my favorite place, and we ended up with no lines and a great table! Beer for all, tacos for some, then we headed back into town via mostly-complete multi-use trails.

40637099163_519ee0b471_b.jpg

Made it back to the start downtown which was bustling at this point of the day. The majority took off after a full day, with a long drive still waiting for them. I was able to talk the San Diego peeps and the O.C. guy into sticking around and trying out a new Thai street food restaurant. SCORE!!!! Fantastic food in a great atmosphere. We opened the place up at 5:00, and there was a line out the door when we left around 6:40. Story of the day was perfect timing everywhere we went!

47603564901_6931b29c4f_b.jpg

46879407424_315098bfee_b.jpg

As mentioned, the heat was a bit oppressive, but I think we changed plans quickly and wisely to maximize the good stuff. Some fantastic beer and food from great places. I hope I didn't spaz out a bit too much regarding the water, the businesses downtown, the breweries, etc... these are just things that I love and it's amazing to be able to share them!!

I think the ride was perfect, but the people that came out and the great attitudes, desire for adventure, and a bit of trust in me that this wasn't going to be insane all came together perfectly!

This ride is a keeper... mark your calendars for next April, if not sooner!

My pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/albums/72157707884576455

Strava route: https://www.strava.com/activities/2287898767

DangerDirtyD, CarlS, mtnbikej and 8 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    @Cyclotourist fear not!
    People probably can not "like" your Ride Report. I get an error when I try. Working it Brothah! So here is my "LIKE"!

upload_2019-4-14_21-37-54.png

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  4. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    It's likable!

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I like that you guys like this because I like it, too.

mike, Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Bikes, beer, food & friends what’s not to like? Well done @Cyclotourist. I had a short leash on Saturday or I’d have loved to have gone.

mtnbikej, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Tour de Redlands, with Beer, Tacos and Thai Food.

It was definitely an eclectic group! Fancy touring bikes, a couple mountain bikes, some titanium here and there... But it was a riot. There was pavement. There was single track. There was completely overgrown single track. There was a sand wash of death, which the stray dog tried to lead us through. There were creek crossings, wet feet, broken derailleurs, beer stops, tacos, and a boatload of smiles.

I will say that @Cyclotourist cleaned a few things (up and down) on his skinny tires that not all of the mountain bikes cleaned. I have a skinny tire bike in the garage now, and I was glad that it stayed in the garage for this one. :thumbsup:

Images shrunk to 1024 max width. Doin' my part for server health.

David leading the group out of town...
    IMG_1457.jpg

@riiz - On the water crossing immediately after the sand pit...
    IMG_1462.jpg

Skywriter putting on a show...
    IMG_1469.jpg

Obligatory selfie...
    IMG_1474.jpg

Taco and Beer stop #1- And we all left with a free glass. I got mine back to civilization intact. :thumbsup:
    IMG_1481.jpg

Been outside several times for Hellacious Ride, but Hangar 24 is worth going in. :p
    IMG_1482.jpg

9 guys, and 9 different ways to cross... I did not opt for the "throw the bike ahead" method. I went with "clutch it close and pray".
    IMG_1487.jpg

A public water fountain on the edge of their property... That's pretty cool.
    IMG_1490.jpg

I think there was a trail here...
    IMG_1493.jpg

I think the skinny tire guys were questioning the route choice here. :laugh:
    IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

Beer Stop #2- And more tacos
    IMG_1499.jpg

I ended up with 35 miles and 2000 feet... Fun day out there.

mtnbikej, mike, riiz and 10 others like this.
  9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    SUPER LIKE!!

Really bummed I missed this, looked like a great day!

mtnbikej, mike, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    OK Hooligans...
    This ride report is now in "Ride Reports" I believe the "Like" Button works again.

@AndyB is Kung Fu fighting the site back into shape and working with the Hosting service! That guy is ...Fast a lightning... :whistling:
    Andy is Awesome!

:thumbsup:Mikie

DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej, mike and 6 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Thank you for updating this! I think a proper RR is necessary on this one... it was a GREAT day! The route ended up being just what I hoped for. A little demanding, needing a touch of endurance and skill. But nothing over the top. A couple unexpected areas (sand, mustard-encroached trails) but to be honest, I think it added to the ride.

But beyond that, what made everything click was the crew that came out for it! As @Faust29 mentioned, it was a mixed group for sure. But everyone was there to have a good time and knew what to expect. So the sum of the parts added up to one of the most fun rides I've been on!

The best part was hearing a guy say how shocked he was to learn of all the trails/dirt out in Redlands!

[​IMG]

So mark your calendars for next April, this will be happening again!!!

Edit: Note to self next year, don't have the huge burger 1/3 into the ride. Stick with @Faust29 choice of fish tacos!

12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    Yea! With tailwind!

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Hmmm, I wonder if it could be fermented...

Faust29 likes this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I’d do this ride again... But I’m keeping the Tailwind separate from the brew. :cautious: :gag:

15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Could be the base of an awesome cocktail!