RR: The Cisco Roots Strawberry Plus!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Dec 26, 2018.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    @Luis throws out there that @Cisco Roots is in town and they have a short window to get in a Gabes Epic!:geek:

Luis.
    Cisco Roots.
    Gabes.
    Epic.
    No Brainer. Moral imperative.

The added bonus was that David Cho of OTB was in on this as well. So really this was an OTB ride with a small accent of imtbtrails. But since Luis goes both ways... :whistling: and represented in an imtbtrails jersey and Cisco is as much an imtb'er ... I find myself just babbling.

This was a shuttle ride due to the time restraint, yet I felt every bit of the climbing we did do!

upload_2018-12-26_17-39-12.png
    We loaded up into Luis' vehicle after leaving ours at JPL. Drove up to the intersection of Highway 2 and Angeles Forrest highway where we put a bike together that the gracious and awesome David Cho provided. Naturally a Santa Cruz! :sneaky:
    We headed up towards Strawberry clockwise. The climb was cold so at first it was rough, but it got warm real quick as it always a steep climb for me.

David and Cisco were kicking my azz all day on the climbs.

The dirt was absolute hero. Doubt it could ever get any better. In fact, I got further than I ever have on the steep start out of the backside of Strawberry only losing it on the very last sharp left hand switchback. I felt like supah man!

Dropped down to red box, got some water and this is where it became new dirt for me. We climbed up the paved road towards Mt. Wilson and pulled off at a saddle between two trail junctions Mt. Lowe Motorway and Valley Forge Trail. We took the Motorway. Went through a very cool tunnel, climbed a bit more and then I threw on my pads and finally shook my jacket.

When they said it was going to be Chunk-a-Paloozah, it was. I dug it! Still trying to build my confidence from the "hitting a tree" thing, I did notice caution on my part in all the chunk and exposure combination. David followed me while we let the two kids Luis and Cisco have at it. David is AWESOME!
    None the less 22 PR's for me today, so hanging out with fast company is a good thing!

If you like chunk and exposure the front side of the Gabes is the place to get it! Love that place!

When it was all said and done, we were behind schedule by only about 40 minutes. Cisco had to split immediately and I met Luis and David at Chipotle in La Canada.

Naturally I had to text @Mikie Robin Mcguire since I was on their turf. Robin responded and said they were in the Verdugo's. Of course they were! Those awesome love birds! :inlove:

Geez it was good to see Cisco. Heck I had not seen Luis or David in a while as well!
    Good times, good to be alive, lucky to be a mountain biker who gets to ride with the Brothah and Sistah-hood we are in!

Cisco Roots! (I think he must be in a gang...:eek: he's always flashing some gang symbol)

DSCF2660.jpg

Luis! It was cold. I was cold. DSCF2661.jpg

David Cho! My Santa Cruz Brothah! DSCF2662.jpg

Adjust. Adjust. Adjust... The SC that Mr. Cho supplied for Mr. Roots!
    DSCF2663.jpg

Luis and I on our way to the pass after dipping behind Strawberry Peak. DSCF2665.jpg

(More Gang Signs...:oops:) Cisco, David, Luis! DSCF2666.jpg

The Tunnel. I have never been here. It was so cool!
    DSCF2667.jpg

DSCF2669.jpg

DSCF2670.jpg

Only a couple of trees down across the trail. Did I mention the dirt was Supah-Hero!
    DSCF2671.jpg

Luis and some views...
    DSCF2672.jpg

Cisco and some of the same awesome views. DSCF2673.jpg

Done for the day! Almost to JPL. DSCF2678.jpg

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Oh I really suck for missing out on this. Poor @Cisco Roots now he’s been spoiled and gonna need a Hightower too...:confused:

3. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    What a ride n report! Hero dirt... mt wilson...is super fun...merrils sunset n then sweet dessert... el prieto... after strawberry?! Im way jealous! That might be the best ride in s cal fo sure .. u combine two awesome rides in one....oh my...

4. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Tunnel looks a bit more rugged though...

Faust29, Mikie, hill^billy and 2 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Nice one, lads!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

6. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Oh yah did that ride a few months back. Good chit baby! Sorry I missed you again@cisco!

7. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Wait? Should I be riding a Hightower?

herzalot, mike, SnakeCharmer and 3 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    @Cisco Roots looks like he's down to 0% body fat. Don't they have cheeseburgers and beer in the PNW?!?! :eek: :p

Nice ride, guys... It definitely looks a little better than a morning in the theater with Mary Poppins. :gag:

9. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Epic route! :thumbsup:

mike, Cisco Roots and Mikie like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I warned you!

mike, hill^billy and Voodoo Tom like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Did you guys finish via Sunset/Millard/El P?

Luis likes this.
  12. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Yup. As much as I like dropping into the horse trail that exits on Chaney, I prefer doing that last climb to reach El P.
    Oddly enough I suffered the only mechanical of the day. A spoke on my rear wheel gave out during the fire road climb.

13. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    I can’t tell you how grateful I am to have such awesome friends that could make this happen. David has lent me his bike both times I’ve made it out here visiting. @Luis always comes through with a killer ride all set up. @Mikie made his way all the way from Canada, bypassing Washington btw, don’t ask me how that happens, but all I gotta say is that’s true brotherhood!!

So about David’s Hightower, it’s not only a high tower, but it’s fully tricked out! Pretty much carbon everything. No expense spared on this bad boy and it’s light! It rides very similar to my YT Jeffsy. Both have almost identical geometry and travel. I had a great time on it, couldn’t have asked for anything better!

@Faust29 I did lose some weight b/c the Mexican and Latino food options in Seattle are basically NONE!! It’s the land of Teriyaki.

I felt kind of bad since I was on a time constraint. Had to be back at the cars by 12ish and we made it back by 1240ish. I appreciate the fellas for working with me on that!

Man it was good to see @Mikie again! All of my rides with him have always been epic and fun and this was no excepetion. He always brings some killer energy and positive vibes to every ride. We definitely were missing his other Canadian bro @Voodoo Tom however.

The route we rode I had done before and right now conditions are Primo. Only four of us so we kept a good pace. Strawberry was about as good as it gets. The frontside was super duper chunky but the dirt was primo! It had been a while since I rode East Mt Lowe and Middle Merrill so I stuck close to Luis and followed his lines! We encountered lots of hikers on middle Merrill so it kinda messed up the flow a few times. Mikie cleaned everything and preferred for us not to warn him about the potentially deadly features he would be encountering such as the sheer cliff faces! We bombed down Sunset and Shredded El Prieto! David later told me he PR’d and posted the elusive sub 9 minute time for him.

I couldn’t hang much after the ride but I gotta give props to Luis, Mikie and David for making this ride happen! Cheers!

7F65843D-5182-416C-BCDF-87455237C1D4.jpeg

4C798253-D829-4EAC-BD4C-E9BCACCBD9D5.jpeg

4CF795B0-613B-4D04-AD0D-20472737FF72.jpeg

FCAC2C67-1DFD-4F93-9609-0090A7072003.jpeg

E0266035-E14E-4AEE-8373-B2E6F98CB096.jpeg

14. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Saweeeeeeet! Next time brotha Ciiiiisco!

mike, Cisco Roots and Mikie like this.
  15. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    u know I never noticed any exposure at the Merrills or Sunset....
    I just don't look!

Mikie and mike like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?