RR: Tecuya Peak

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Like most men...
    ...and most weekends, I make these last minute decisions on what I'm gonna ride.
    With @Voodoo Tom now a regular riding partner who lives the closest to me and willing to put up with my ride choice shenanigans (cuz he likes to ride almost anything anywhere any time), we decided to stay local and ride in some elevation for some cooler temps, which means riding in my neck of the woods.

So I asked him if he wanted to try the first half of the "I Hate Me Epic"! What's that you say?
    It's a ride I put together even before this Forum, it's over on the ole magazine when it was a blog. The pictures have disappeared but the brutality is still there. It's also the day I met Berni (@bigringrider101 as well! :thumbsup:)

Today was just the first half (and the smarter ride that should have been in days of old). I warned Tom that the start of the ride is absolutely brutal. It climbs what I have referred to several times in other posts as the Lake of the Woods Alpe d'huez, a famous Tour de France climb. It zig zags up this mountain face and is nearly relentless.

I would post the STRAVA profile but I forgot my Garmin today :mad:. Tom will have to do the honors.

We met my house at 8:00am and Tom shuttled us over to Lake of the Woods where we parked at Cuddy Hall. Geared up and rode back down the road about a mile to hit the climb, and climb we did...

The climb was rough and steep. I'm pretty sure we hit sections close to 30% grade. At the top of saddle it levels off and heads east then plunges into another saddle that sets us up for the hike a bike from hell. A two parter it takes us eventually to the top of Tecuya Peak. We hung out on the peak with it's 360 degree panoramic there for a bit.

Then we plunged once again onto some dual track that turned into singletrack that weaves through a bunch of burnt downed trees. The singletrack eventually turns into a very rocky access road with a gazillion babyhead sized rocks that takes us to......... a secret trail! Yes folks! There are secret trails in the Frazier Park Area! Tom now knows one more and we would have to kill you if we told you.

Unfortunately, when you have a secret trail, they often don't get a lot of traffic cuzzz . . . . THEY'RE SECRET!:rolleyes:

That being said, it needed some TLC to include, weeding, benching, and tree removal. The worst was the near waist high foxtail weeds we got in our socks and shoes which we eventually stopped and took 20 minutes to removed both to eradicate such sharp prickly things. None the less the trail was still awesome! We hit the Powerline road and we headed South to show Tom the Box Canyon I live in and the projected "future secret trail" that will give us access out, and then headed North to Digier Canyon for the final drop to Tejon Ranch and then the slow climb to my house.

Along the way to Digier Canyon, we cross the path of one of our last adventures called Cherry/Tecuya Creek Trail which ends with a very long hike-a-bike out of Tecuya Creek Canyon up to the Powerline Road we are no on (pics below).

Dropping Digier, a steep chattered access road to Interstate 5, Digier turns to pavement and ends at Fort Tejon Interstate 5 exit. There we can get water, use a real toilet, or just continue the easy climb cruise home on pavement on Lebec Road to Lebec Oaks road that climbs a bit steeper up the canyon I live in.

At the house I served Tom a Modello Brew, we sat for quite a bit on my very nice cool breezed front porch and then I drove Tom over to his vehicle in Lake of the Woods where we parted ways!

If I remember correctly we got in 25 miles and around 3500 feet of climbing.
    Another successful day in the saddle!

Bike On!

My Pics:

Cuddy Hall. That ridgeline in the background is our Lake of the Woods Alpe d'huez.
    DSCF0578.jpg

Aliens? Giant feathers? They followed us all day.
    DSCF0579.jpg

This is one of those "You just can't capture how steep it is pictures", probably around 22 percent?
    DSCF0580.jpg

The Voodoo...

DSCF0581.jpg

The road disappears cuz it drops like a rock.
    DSCF0583.jpg

Then comes the hike-a-bike.
    DSCF0585.jpg

...and beautiful views.
    DSCF0587.jpg

They're getting closer!
    DSCF0589.jpg

Yes! Life....behind bars.
    DSCF0591.jpg

So we are on top of Tecuya Peak now and Tom walks over to this pile of rocks... DSCF0594.jpg

Lifts a rock...
    DSCF0595.jpg

Pulls out a can inside a can...
    DSCF0597.jpg

Inside is a note pad wrapped in a ziplock with a pencil to sign your name... He's been doing this for years among others.... Remember, Tom is from Frazier park! DSCF0601.jpg

Frazier Mountain in the Background.
    DSCF0604.jpg

The direction we are dropping. To weave through those dead trees. DSCF0605.jpg

Looking East towards the town of Frazier Park.
    DSCF0606.jpg

Kicking it...

DSCF0608.jpg

The San Joaquin Valley.
    DSCF0611.jpg

DSCF0612.jpg

Heading East a closer shot of Frazier Park.
    DSCF0613.jpg

Gasp! ...The Secret Trail...
    DSCF0614.jpg

Thank Gawwed that was not Mistletoe stuck on top of Tom's helmet...
    DSCF0615.jpg

Cruisin' on the Powerline road towards Digier Canyon. Behind the back shot...DSCF0619.jpg

Remember that killer Hike-A-Bike I told you about in our last Cherry Creek Epic? Yeah, that's the upper part of it.
    DSCF0621.jpg

...another angle of it. It's a solid walker...

DSCF0622.jpg

Back at my house... the bike that's making me think about getting, that bike. DSCF0623.jpg

Kicking it on the porch with a Modello, getting mellow... DSCF0624.jpg

Man I'm gonna regret the day I can no longer do this!
    Life is Short..... Bike Lots!

2. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Tecuya Peak. That's Frazier Mountain looking due South...
    DSCF0602.JPG

DSCF0603.JPG

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Looks like a GREAT outing! Were the temps manageable?

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    It was only hot on the 2 mile climb to my house... Otherwise it was awesome all day!

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Those clouds are bizarre. Never seen anything like them!

Nice ride and ride report. Great (and many) pictures. Nice job and thanks for sharing your adventure. :thumbsup:

6. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    That's how it is living out in the sticks. I think they see more UFOs out there too:D

7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Uh, this is a ride report, not an X-Files...:cautious::p

8. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Looks like a fun adventure. Nice views. Brutal climbs.

Reminds me that I haven't done any exploring for awhile.

The Ripley is a friggin' goat. I've got a Ripley LS. A great all around bike.

Voodoo Tom, Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  9. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    I think those may be some form of lenticular clouds.

10. socalpedalpusher61

socalpedalpusher61 Member

Name:
    Hugh Smitham
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010
    Enjoyed the report and looks to be pretty darn nice terrain.

Cheers,

~Hugh

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Nice one... As usual, Mikie! :thumbsup:

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    As soon as we start to get into the cooler season....I'm coming up for some rides. :thumbsup:

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Well... If @Mikie won't come to us for a death march in the mountains, maybe we can get him to post up a few rides in his hood. :thumbsup:

14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Sorry for my day late & dollar short chime in. Came home to Rusty the crazy puppy who had lots of energy to burn and then spent some time with the family. This was about the time I realized I was getting HUNGRY. Tell me Tailwinds doesn’t work… 4+ hours of riding and then at least 3-4 more hours after the ride before I really needed food. At this point I proceeded to eat myself in to a food coma though and turned in for the night.

Now for the actual ride. I thought it was great. True grit adventure mountain biking. Again most of this terrain I had covered on motos in years past but it is totally different on a mountain bike. Lots of loose rocks on top of soft sandy dirt made some spots a real challenge.

Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 6.49.42 PM.jpg

The initial climb is no joke. It climbs roughly 2,000 feet in about 3 miles. During that climb my Garmin never showed less than a 10% grade and many places showed 18-20% grade. @Mikie may call it the Lake of the Woods Alpe d’hues but I think a better name would be “the Zig-Zag climb from hell”. Once at the top you reach a steel gated section of private property that you must cross thru in order to re-connect with the forest service roads. Sitting next to this gate catching my breath I thought I heard some voices and I mentioned it to Mikie but we both figured I was just hearing things due to the lack of oxygen going to my brain. So we hop over and start rolling along and sure enough come across a couple cars and people setting up tables and what looked to be a camp so we just super quietly tried to roll thru un noticed which we did. I think these tables were actually shooting benches as later when we were up at the peak you could hear all kinds of shooting going on which was obviously coming from that area.

After taking in the views at the peak we started the fun decent. This used to be a fairly well groomed dual track but several fires and downed trees and very little traffic have turned most of it in to a pretty dang fun and challenging single track. after reconnecting with a power line road we dropped for another mile or two over about 397 million football sized rocks to the “secret trail”.

Still trying to figure out how I grew up in the area and pride myself on knowing those hills like the back of my hand but I didn’t know about the "secret trail”. I love narrow stuff but this thing brings new meaning to the word. Most of the trail is about 8 inches wide and steep and loose and really challenges your balance. The rest of the trail you can’t really see and just kind of have to use your imagination haha.

So a few pointers for those who haven't joined in one of Mad Mikie’s mountain adventure rides…
    ~Bring your big boy or girl panties. There’s going to be some stupid steep climbs and crazy descents and rugged terrain and bush whacking.
    ~Bring supplies like lots of water, food or tailwinds, repair parts etc. It’s going to be a long day and you are going to be in the middle of nowhere and your phone probably isn’t going to work.
    ~Bring a mechanically sound bike with good tires and brake pads.
    ~Bring a sense of humor. You’ll probably wonder WTF you’ve gotten yourself in to and be thinking that you hate Mikie. Just remember you need to keep him alive cause he’s the one who knows the way back. The comradery and the stories you’ll have to tell afterwards will be well worth it.

Done this climb many many times on dirt bikes and always had difficulty so I knew it wasn't going to be fun on the MTB

IMG_4475.jpg

Parts of the "secret trail" are tough to find
    IMG_4498.jpg

I seriously considered throwing away my shoes and socks after this ride
    IMG_4504.jpg

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Awsome....sounds like a fun way to spend the day.

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    @Voodoo Tom
    I was just looking at the elevation profile, we climbed over 3k in less then 5 miles. No wonder I hate me ha ha! Awesome day in the saddle!

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    BUMP!
    What a fun day!!!!
    Unknown adventures are the best!!!!!

DangerDirtyD and Voodoo Tom like this.