RR: Tally Tango 160

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by schillingsworth, Nov 7, 2018 at 12:37 PM.

1. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I had to try and one up @evdog and his Florida RR with all those cute little rides he did a while back. The Tally Tango 160 is one of four bikepacking races in Florida's panhandle. It's a great beginner loop for those wishing to dive into that sort of riding. My wife grew up in Tallahassee & went to FSU, so we get back there on a regular basis. It was great to see more of the area via bike seat. I had no intention to 'race', rather moderate tour pace with a buddy from South Carolina.

All my pre-ride goals were met. Finish, have fun and see a gator in the wild!! Part II of the report is how we ended up having to drive home to AZ in front of Hurricane Michael. Never a dull moment!!

Tally Tango 160

-CHXWJUPtwMn9eRKoP9GfVqciiWUk9i7ov4Rkmorzq_ZKyIH1R6KuR2j4Af_zjgpX0zHcUXRgTDdxsFy2N4SGqJQ=s939-no.jpg
    Bike loaded sans bladder in the framebag prior to shipping it to FL via Bikeflights.

GdWThwZNQ3o_tjQjWqqlRuoHS37RQHUeuBkNuDqesnu6msFp6TF_XyS6bTLFv29jWA-kcIeheikTPK7WCApeEdqs=s938-no.jpg
    Complete cockpit view.

WIDiCcdog-GkjlhPDIMk3QkY2KB7WMT5QaC5wTVQIDxVmrdC17JXw8oFlKFxs8GRUP5Upess6GYbhs8kyE=w1668-h938-no.jpg
    Sunrise near the start.

Dbr2KL6GAT460bhOdPiu27AeniOfWkXWiezosfTdVkxcu4VDk7kODHIY2LZGeRHmOvVm34aFGRz8Vf29zY=w1668-h938-no.jpg
    Crossing the Pinhook River.

UVHuKDZp0SFAk2VgZc91cNfKgCNd5mArgR56pgVciEzS4ITW3DSgVZZIqZgUe6lBT6YAXOlKGzi62NzDm4=w1920-h934-no.jpg
    Gator!! Check.

yz2rlccKu86y877lSqnsSyuC-15L68AxpWPBzsQH2siODOpjraORNIhHxzVa9eRPlBTU1bFD-d8tUocjlo=w1668-h938-no.jpg
    The Tango route overlapped the Florida Trail down by the Gulf Coast.

YVYdrKvs9r783389NZvUJP0MZCHSegHTYcf51k89H-E-4tv7WNRwAPb-ufmM9Uv01_c_MINfefQ_aiY6iw=w1668-h938-no.jpg
    Flat + flat + flat = lots of flat riding.

T3E6DbasCs9ksWpDZNK9fX1ITvLecm4mFdS-8wn0nmdjV8bRjfuba8xlA5VFQ1YcCmbXsynOy3UQbOPLI8=w1668-h938-no.jpg
    Tarmac fast singletrack

pJuWSWkhLvvwRoH_hPpGIT-RkM1o4iybsTa_FggR5ET6N7dTcnd_19kZjArcT-xzRgWwPFykRM4w5jPbpQ=w1668-h938-no.jpg
    Near the finish.

168 miles and barely 2000' feet of gain, yet it wasn't all easy. The humidity took a toll on this desert rat, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

2. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Nice report! No battery? So forget watching for rattle snakes, enter in alligator’s!

3. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I had a cache battery to keep the phone/GPS charged. Used my old MagicShine light on the bars w/battery & Exposure Diablo light on the helmet. We didn't do too much night riding. Normally, I'll have a dynamo setup for all my charging needs.
    Yeah, I'll take our rattlers over the gators any day.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Thanks for another fantastic RR! :cool::thumbsup:

5. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    You know how to live, John :thumbsup: Nice ride! Keep hammering and reminding us that we can do more :geek::cool:

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Awesome as usual... And you're making me Florida homesick... :thumbsup:

7. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Nice ride.
    But, don’t they have Eastern Diamondbacks there - twice as big as our rattlesnakes! And what about the invading pythons? They might join you in your warm sleeping bag!
    I’d love to see and eastern diamondback. They are beautiful snakes. Cool to see a wild alligator too.

mike, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    You've already got one of the coolest rattlers on Earth in your area, the Mojave "green". Are they very "green" in your location? The ones in Yucca valley sure as heck are.

9. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    All I see in the wild here are southern pacific. Prairie rattlers back home in Alberta can be really green.

mike and Tom the Bomb like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Really?! You are in a prime location for the Mojave. I have seen them most often in the Fall late in the afternoon. This is prime time season.

Sorry, about the derail. :D

mike, Tom the Bomb and CBone like this.
  11. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I think the pythons are farther south, Everglades area. I heard a story during the ride about a Florida Divide rider killing a python with his shoe after it wrapped around his wheel!! The water moccasin snakes are fairly aggressive too. I really don't mind our rattlesnakes, they tend to give plenty of warning and typically don't want anything to do with you. I'm more concerned with the pesky critters while bikepacking: mosquitos, flies, ants, gnats, etc. Those can be such a mental drain if not prepared.

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Yes, they do... When we moved into our house, the first thing our new neighbor showed us was the skin from a diamondback that he killed during construction of his house. We also had pygmy rattlers, that were no bigger than a pencil, but potentially lethal. And water moccasins...

Alligators were everywhere... under the culvert pipe in front of our house, walking down the 5th fairway at Disney's Palm course, in the courtyard of my school, etc...

Cyclotourist, CBone, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Looks like a fun ride! Maybe I can check it out if I get out there for work again. The elevation profile looks tough til you see the scale :Roflmao

Snakes were about the only thing I didn't see on my trip. And I'm not gonna complain about that.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  14. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Interesting. I guess if I ever end up visiting Florida again, I should look into riding.

Cyclotourist likes this.