RR Sycamore 5/9

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Grego, May 9, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I want to say thank you to everyone that attended the ride today. We always have a good time here and the more the merrier. 12 people in the group. Some have never been here so I wanted to do our usual course starting at Jensons, head north for some single track miles, then back south to roll some rocks and hit some jumps. Probably only rode 13 miles. Lots of regroups because when you have riders of different levels you can't let them get strung out too much because there are so many turn offs. Sycamore is not that large of an area but there are probably 100 intersections. Dirt was dry as predicted and weather was overcast, perfect! We rode, we rolled, we jumped. I'm so happy, I cleaned Rattlesnake this time :D. A couple crashes and mechanical's were amongst us but nothing serious. Great seeing old friends and making new.

One thing about Sycamore after the rain is the ruts are deeper than ever. This one will swallow you whole.

This ride was partially Jaime's idea, and that beer hit the spot, thanks bud!

First mechanical, BeckTrex with a broken chain, will break again later. He's just too strong.

Varaxis

T2

Jeff

slomosapien

knucklebuster

BeckTrex

Group shot.

More pic's in a moment....

rut.jpg

GOPR2293.JPG

senery.jpg

G0052324.JPG

G0082337.JPG

G0072332.JPG

G0102347.JPG

G0062326.JPG

GOPR2300.JPG

G0092343.JPG

GOPR2354.JPG

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Looks like fun! Thanks for the pics and RR. I have to live vicariously at times. :thumbup:

Mikie likes this.
  3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Had a great time. Learned some new trails and met some new friends.

Mikie likes this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I could of and should have made this one. 1) I was too dahm lazy, had a rough late night (just couldn't sleep) and, 2) I wasn't paying attention! Looks like a lot of fun! I really wish I made it out there....next time!

Thanks for the report and pics Grego! We have yet to meet! :( (felony in most states)

5. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Buddha statue.

Vincent

Ryan

Burt

Greg"wf"o

Where's varaxis when we need him? Out with a broken cable, dang. Another thing about Sycamore, if you have a problem with your bike, Jensons is right there.

Tom the bomb

We hit a few more rocks, chunk and jumps but didn't get pictures of them all. It's kind of a buzz kill to stop and take pictures all the time but I'm thankful for the ones I have to share. Good times! Thanks again everyone.

GOPR2351.JPG

G0122385.JPG

G0112378.JPG

GOPR2374.JPG

GOPR2373.JPG

GOPR2366.JPG

G0152399.JPG

GOPR2393.JPG

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Yeah, pretty much my excuse as well. Just down the road a bit from me, but by the time kids are fed (one sick), and I'm half way ready to go, it's pushing 9:00. BUM-MER as it looked like a great time out there! I eventually got motivated enough to get out the door, and a great ride around locally, but sure would have been fun to be out there w/ all y'all!

Mikie likes this.
  7. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    That was a fun ride. Thanks for putting this together and being tour guide.

Mikie likes this.
  8. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Thanks Grego for setting this up. Had a great time, got to meet some great guys and hit some new dirt, in perfect weather. And thanks Jaime for the post ride beverages! Sycamore is nothing like OC trails. Wide open sight lines and short steep up, steep down, bolder rolls and mostly friendly jumps. I could probably be better at jumping if I had a place like this close by to practice on! But BFR is out of my league. Thanks everyone that came out! A few pics I got...

IMAG0902.jpg

IMAG0905.jpg

IMAG0906.jpg

IMAG0909.jpg

IMAG0912.jpg

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Great pics and nice perspective on BFR. I've seen lots o pics fro there, but none from that angle. I am sure the pic doesn't do it justice - and it looks pretty imposing in the photo. The transition at the bottom looks very abrupt.

Nice photos and RR. :clap:

Mikie likes this.
  10. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Herz, It's quite abrupt at the bottom and I'm only doing "mini" BFR. So much so that almost every time that g-out makes my narrow wide derailleur pulley skip a tooth and I have to reset it. Weird.

I agree Mikie. Soon!

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  11. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Had Burt following me around on some optional routes. The guy's the energizer bunny. The guy's used to chunkier stuff from out of state riding, showing how some sections that would trip up some SoCal natives were no problem for him. Doesn't look like he's too far off from conquering whatever wall it is that keeps him from rolling BFR.

12. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Had a great time with all of you guys, it was nice meeting new peeps and always having fun watching you guys make those jumps look easy, especially Grego, Vince and Ryan... heres a video of the ride, hope you guys like it.. (I'm kind of newbie uploading videos)

[youtube]9MmRJ3W3e1U[/youtube]
    <a class="postlink" href="https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=9MmRJ3W3e1U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... MmRJ3W3e1U</a>

Mikie likes this.
  13. T-2

T-2 Member

Name:
    Tom Shaffer
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Stumpy EVO
    Thanks for setting up this ride, nice to see everyone out there. From the photo angle on the ground BFR doesn't look like much of anything, piece of cake. but from up top it's looks super scary. I don't get it. I drew the line at the top. Thanks again.

Mikie likes this.
  14. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Hey nice moves on the rock drop to dave and T-2. The berms, jump section was a blast. Hit that 3 times , thanks Grego. The kids were rippin it!

knucklebuster and Mikie like this.
  15. burt

burt Member

Name:
    burt
    Awesome report, pics & vids guys. Thanks for showing off the trail system, can't wait till I can get out there and ride like teh groms ;) Way to go Vince + Ryan: stylin with ease out there.

knucklebuster and Mikie like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    A 45* angle looks vertical from the top, and looks mellow from the side. A 45* angle is 100% grade. It's a mindfu## for sure. A super steep ski slope that feels nearly vertical is actually like a 30* pitch. I imagine I would have backed off of the big roll-down too, especially since the transition at the bottom probably looked like a wall.

Mikie likes this.
  17. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    The ride report with most pictures evaaaa !!! [emoji57] [emoji41]

uploadfromtaptalk1431293335749.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293360924.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293375625.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293390725.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293399585.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293407347.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293416779.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293425997.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293435677.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293443445.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431293501384.jpg

18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Yeah Tom you hit that drop into the hole the first time and made it look easy, thanks for the peer pressure :) That section was real fun with the perfect berms and the reasonable jumps, and fairly easy to get back up top. Fun stuff.

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I'm liking the thumbnails in the upper right corner in the header, and literally Re-Liking the posts. It's caused me to click on several of the pics and go back and experience old ride reports like this that totally rock all over again!

It's a shame the conversion from phpBB to xenforo misplaces the pics from their original location in the Post...:thumbsdown:

Grego likes this.
  20. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    This has always been one of my favorite places to ride and even better with a group. When the weather cools down we''ll do this again.:D

21. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    So many Kodak moments at Sycamore. :laugh:

I wonder who's fixing those giant ditches/trenches/ruts.

rojomas likes this.
  22. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    No one. It ain't looking good out there.

23. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    We will fix some of it, but can't do much til it rains.

knucklebuster likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?