RR: Sisar to Red Reef to Gridley

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    @Daddy Dirtbag called it and we responded. Jeff (Daddy Dirtbag organized an imtbtrails ride in trailheads to do this master planned ride in Ojai. @Voodoo Tom and I have been venturing over to ride that area ever since Tony @AKAKTM suggested an exploratory ride where we rode Red Reef Trail (a must do trail). Some were starting at the school, some at the ranger station, blah blah. It doesn't take much if any to confuse an imtb'er especially me. So Tom and I showed early and talked to Jeff at the school, then flew down to the ranger station. Talked everyone into starting at the school accept @MTBHotRod and Danny lee who stuck with riding the original Ranger station loop (we never saw them again).

We drove back to the school and was going to add our extra credit by climbing Sisar and making the right to Red Reef. So we chased the peloton up Sisar and met them about 4 miles from the pass. Stopped to say hi and 5 of us drove on past them in effort to get the extra credit and meet them at the top of Gridley.

It sprinkled, it hailed, it got cold, then it got warm again. We tried to catch @scottay before he dropped down Red Reef but he was long gone. So we dropped Red Reef to much whoop and holler's (an excellent singletrack of much variety), then slogged back up the 5 miles to the Sisar summit. Then headed West on Nordhoff to Gridley. A few climbs left in the large rollers (one hurt bad in particular) with some screaming fire road descents nearly hitting 40mph, we arrived near Gridley to find that Luis had waited for us at the top! :thumbsup:

Burt took off first, then Ed, then Luis, Myself, Pete and Voodoo swept. I hung with the boys about a mile in then they just dropped me, I mean bad. WOW!

When we got to the Avocado Orchards we met up with the posse! Yay! Jeff came over to me and said, "See that guy sitting on the rock over there? That's Dino Brown. You two are some of my most favorite guys, go talk to him."

So I did. There were rumors that we had issues. Which in my book proved to be wrong. I rode up right in front of Dino dropped my bike and said, "You need to stand up and give me a hug." Dino said, "Okay." We talked and had a great time. Probably hugged six more times. What a funny and great guy. My first time meeting The Mayor!

We dropped the remainder of Gridley. Burt almost cleaned the stairway, one guy did clean the stairway but fell on the easy part afterwards laughing. We dropped the road to the Ranger station then hit the Mexican Restaurant for some fine grub.

Great (long) day in the saddle, wouldn't change a thing other than have a little more sustained climbing in my back pocket for days like this...

Great job! @Daddy Dirtbag !
    sisar.redreef.gridley.PNG

Meeting a @Voodoo Tom 's loading up for the trek to Ojai.
    DSCF0876.jpg

Rain drops were falling on our head...
    Apparently we were the luckiest guys on the planet as it rained mostly everywhere but where we were at.

DSCF0877.jpg

@UPSed and @Voodoo Tom stopping at the transition from tree cover to open fire road as we climb up Sisar Road.
    DSCF0880.jpg

@burt and @Voodoo Tom with @UPSed lurking in the background with his new weapon of choice.
    DSCF0881.jpg

Pete! Came with @Luis for the ride. Pete did the whole enchilada with us to include the 10 miles of extra credit. Great guy, loved the ride.
    DSCF0882.jpg

UPSed on his non Niner, Niner.
    DSCF0883.jpg

With most of the climbing "Beat Down" complete, we relax a few before heading over to Gridley. Only a few big rollers to get through.
    DSCF0887.jpg

Luis hung out at the top of Gridley, waiting for us to arrive behind the "pack"... Awesome!
    It's a screamer dropping down the road to hit Gridley. Here he flies past me to ride up to meet two hooligans at the top of a short steep...

DSCF0888.jpg

DSCF0889.jpg

DSCF0890.jpg

Daddy Dirtbag himself, Dino Brown "the Mayor of STR", and some dude. I will cherish this pic forever. I got my pic taken with two icons of Southern California Mountain Biking.
    DSCF0892.jpg

Dino Brown and Mikie Watson. This puts to rest any misinformation that there was a rift between us. Dino is both fun and gracious.
    DSCF0893.jpg

Chowing at Casa Del Largo, a good time to unwind and enjoy great company. Pete, Dino, Jeff (Daddy Dirtbag), GREGO!, and UPSed.
    DSCF0895.jpg

Some of those aforementioned hooligans, Burt, Luis, and Pete.
    DSCF0897.jpg

Big wheels keep on rolling, well... except for the second one from the left. I brought my BMX mountain bike...:oops::rolleyes: Some day...
    DSCF0894.jpg

Maddog, PATKOUG, pperrelle and 18 others like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    25 miles of fire road and 10 miles of single track. Incredible views . Great company. Let's do it again!
    20161120_091728-1008x756.jpg

20161120_124123-1008x756.jpg

20161120_124126-1008x756.jpg

20161120_125053-1008x756.jpg

20161120_125125-1008x756.jpg

20161120_125637-756x1008.jpg

20161120_125749-1008x756.jpg

Screenshot_20161120-174728.jpg

3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
  4. doublewide

doublewide Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    The Mayor lives.......

PATKOUG, pperrelle, Oaken and 5 others like this.
  5. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Representing O.C. Vincent and I left Fullerton at 5:45am in the rain. WTF, this isn't supposed to happen until later, much later. Driving through L.A. still rain. Arrived in Ojai , no rain. Met up with the one and only Dino Brown and shuttled my truck to the end of the ride. We chose to ride with the mere-mortals and host Daddy Dirtbag. It's been a long time. Up the fire road wasn't bad at all, a nice climb. It wasn't long until I felt something grab my ass, Mikie's group had caught us. They hurried past so they could add in another loop and catch us later. A slight drizzle now and then kept us wondering if we would get rained on. Even hailed a couple times but very light for just a minute. Gorgeous views along the top. Casual pace, occasional regroups. Some flowy fireroad along the top. The Gridley DH single track was insane. Kind of like San Juan meets Holy Jim without the stream crossings. All new dirt for us and didn't really rain. Thanks DD and great seeing / meeting everyone out there. 25/4100

ojai2.jpg

ojai1.jpg

PATKOUG, pperrelle, Cougar and 17 others like this.
  6. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Great day out there today. Go to meet some more imtbtrails peeps from down south OC way. Some from nearby areas too.
    Talk about lucking out weatherwise. My wife texted me around noon asking if we had go caught in the rain because it was raining at our house in Sylmar. What rain? Just a couple of drops here and there and just a little hail at the top, but otherwise perfect.

IMG_3730.jpg IMG_3732.JPG IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3735.JPG IMG_3737.JPG IMG_3742.JPG IMG_3739.JPG IMG_3747.JPG IMG_3749.JPG

Maddog, PATKOUG, pperrelle and 18 others like this.
  7. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Such an excellent day on the bike. Having my two kids along for the ride was extra special icing on the cake for me. Things worked out very well as it seemed that everyone was able to get their ride on the way they wanted it, and we ended up regrouping down near the end of the Gridley singletrack. I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Thanks to all that drove from far away (pretty much everyone to some extent), especially the OC peeps.

8. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Way to make it happen, guys! Looks like one big awesome ride went down... Good work on the avos, @scottay :thumbsup:

9. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod New Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great ride. Excellent conditions. It was nice riding with the different groups throughout the day. Got to meet some new people and see some old friends.

10. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod New Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great ride. Excellent conditions. It was nice riding with the different groups throughout the day. Got to meet some new people and see some old friends.

11. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    What no Red reef or Gridley chunk pics?

PATKOUG, Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Weren't you supposed to show....suckah?
    I'll take you on a personal tour next time. :)

PATKOUG, Daddy Dirtbag and Luis like this.
  13. burt

burt New Member

Name:
    burt
    Great ride guys. attached is a scheme for next time.

Attached Files:

PATKOUG, Daddy Dirtbag, Mikie and 2 others like this.