RR: Sedona - Chuck wagon to mescal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by pwe312, Dec 28, 2014.

1. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
    Took everyone's suggestions and made it out to Sedona to do a loop around Chuck wagon and mescal. The nice thing about Chuck wagon is that it links to devil's bridge which is a popular hiking spot. My wife wanted to go up there anyway so we hiked together then I biked around while she hiked some more and picked me up down the road to avoid some climbing. I'm not much of a climber but can ride down almost anything.

Here's a map of the trails:
    ec2abaf88eee73f00b76027687ad9bbb.jpg

I started at the bottom of the map where Chuck wagon is next to a jeep trail, went counter clockwise, up long canyon, down deadmans, and down mescal where my wife picked me up (green dot).

The trails really are unlike anything in socal. I'm used to long or tough climbs, then at least a mile down (chutes, lynx, rockit, luge, etc). Chuck wagon was a lot of continuous up and down. Nothing to steep tho. Lots of square edges and small ledges that I could ride down but mostly hiked over. You definitely need tubeless tires and a dropper post here. I used a lot of middle gears that I hardly use at home (big ring up, small ring down mostly). It was different but probably wouldn't go back since it's not my type of riding. I did run into a lot of people going clockwise tho, so maybe I was just going in the wrong direction.

253573287df52b9e282ce36eb7d6fa6d.jpg
    2e05421f49e910359d72e30762cb5403.jpg
    39fcc9da5b668b8a7b397f3c71d05cc0.jpg

The climb up long canyon is more like what I'm used to. Pretty smooth fire road to a single track. Deadman was a decent downhill where I could finally get some speed but it wasn't as steep as anything here so there was still some pedaling involved. There's a couple of small rock gardens and jumps along the trail too. Didn't stop for any pics since I could finally mash it a little. This is a shot at the end where it meets mescal.

60020ed32f76c0021d85f487b87bf8bc.jpg

Mescal also isn't very steep nor does it have long descents but the views were amazing. You ride along a mountain ridge and have a clear view of several mountains in the area. The "extreme" option is not extreme at all. There was one steep ledge to roll down and its a little more slanted but the luge has more exposure. Kids were running around the extreme trail. There was one V section that I guess would be extreme if you tried to clear it and climb up.

bce528fbb8d2eab8b96245e60a0e048a.jpg
    82c2ba753b7657df09abd3ba069d4014.jpgd834048552660e472c68211b46b898f0.jpg
    e79a3b3de1fc48654169df48f5eebb8c.jpg18f32967c0f73c44faf11f7d91d5cd2c.jpg
    87475bd77c78215e6cd99574d3c15df3.jpg

So definitely different from socal. Amazing views on mescal. Tomorrow I may try slim shady or ask the shops for something a little steeper and longer. I hiked up Cathedral rock with my wife after this ride so my legs are pretty dead. But my wife agreed to shuttle me around to free up more time to spend with her. Gotta love compromises [emoji2]

AndyB likes this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Re: RR: Sedona - Chuck wagon to mescal

Thanks for the RR and pics, but I gotta ask - big ring up and little ring down? Must be talking about the rear cluster!

3. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai

Yeah I'm 1x10. 42t giant cog up [emoji14]

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C

Great report!
    Sedona is a LOT different than So. Cal.
    I learned a lot about climbing and dropping ledges in Sedona. Slim Shady was my first Sedona trail ever. Once I relised I had amazing traction, I figured out how to climb all those stair steps of rock they call trails there. Then it got fun!
    Riding 9 miles ther is like riding 20 miles here. You are constantly working it!
    Great pics! Thank you so much for posting this!

Mikie

MCB2K likes this.
  5. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar

The biggest up in Sedona is Schnebly Road to the Carrousel then down Munds Wagon Trail with a quick side trip out to the Cow Pies. Anything above 800 foot over the valley floor in Sedona is wilderness so no long downhills. Options are to poach Brin Mesa or head to Mingus Mountains. If you think you can ride anything I suggest you ride op Twin Buttes Trail and drop Hog Heaven...prettiest trail in Sedona. Take wife with ya as biking and hiking about the same speed.

Dean

6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance

Thanks for the RR! Getting psyched to hit it again come April. I rode there this last April w dirtmistress and her gang - had an amazing time filled w "chick" drama ... Haha!

Let me ride w the boys, no drama there. ;)

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Except from the chick on the ride? :lol:

8. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance

Sorry J, but it's the other way around - I hate drama that's why I avoid riding w chicks as much as possible. Liz knows I don't want to ride w a bunch of chicks again.

9. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai

Not much riding today. Wife got me to hike all day instead up to Bear Mountain. 2200 feet in 2.5 miles on a bad knee. Took 3 hours up and 2 hours down. Only got to do a quick ride down Aerie to the start of Bear Mountain.

Aerie had more flow than yesterday's trails but still goes up and down. First part is smooth single track with some berms and small jumps so you can get some speed and flow. It gets chunkier up around Doe mountain. Didn't get to ride the last section to cockscomb. Seems like it would be a fun trail in either direction.

Was in a rush so didn't get any pics of the trail. But here's a shot from the top of Bear Mountain. Aerie is way at the bottom to the left of the road.

14c80709eddb78fa2ceafcf56d0d47ec.jpg

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C

What a great pic! :D