RR: SART Post Office Plus

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I have written this report twice and bombed out twice. Here are the pics, uploading the video as well.
    Disclaimer: I always try to get good pics of everyone, if I missed you I'm sincerely sorry! Next time!

So a quick trailer:
    It happened, it was the Dirty Dozen, It was Epic! Met some more imtbtrails members, and I would say the biggest surprise for me was 14 year old Vincent, @Grego 's rockstah son, who totally kicked azz!
    ...AND, we did indeed see @Cyclotourist at the Pizza Shop!
    MUCH more to come!
    So go ahead and talk amongst yourselves...
    SART.P.O.Plus.PNG
    Today was apparently blurry shot day on some...

Left to Right. The Dirty Dozen. Vincent, Pete, Greg, Ken, Dana, Tom, Tom, Marty, James, Tom, and Trinidad. Me? I'm behind the camera. Awesome imtbtrails "Crew"!
    DSCF0417.JPG

DSCF0419.jpg

gopro.sart.01.jpg

gopro.sart.02.jpg

gopro.sart.03.jpg

gopro.sart.04.jpg

gopro.sart.05.jpg

gopro.sart.06.jpg

gopro.sart.07.jpg

gopro.sart.08.jpg

DSCF0421.jpg

DSCF0422.jpg

DSCF0425.jpg

DSCF0426.jpg

DSCF0427.jpg

DSCF0428.jpg

DSCF0429.jpg

DSCF0431.jpg

DSCF0432.jpg

DSCF0434.jpg

DSCF0435.jpg

DSCF0436.jpg

DSCF0437.jpg

DSCF0438.jpg

DSCF0439.jpg

DSCF0440.jpg

DSCF0441.jpg

DSCF0442.jpg

Dana (Ricecrispyota).
    DSCF0445.jpg

I asked James to hold that boulder up until we passed. He said "No problem!" Thank you!
    DSCF0448.jpg

Dana (Ricecrispyota), Tom (the Bomb), Marty (Marty657), and Tom (T2).
    DSCF0450.JPG

The Gourmet Pizza Shoppe. Outstanding Pizza and Brew!
    DSCF0452.jpg

Tom (T2), Ken (trmn8er), and James (Slomosapien).
    DSCF0454.jpg

James (Slomosapien), Trindad (Sasquatch9Billion) and Vincent.
    DSCF0455.jpg

This is only a moment of silence. Vincent and Grego!
    DSCF0456.jpg

Pete (PATKOUG) and Tom (Voodoo Tom).
    DSCF0457.jpg

The Madman! Tom the Bomb. Marty behind him and Ken to the right.
    DSCF0458.jpg

Ahhhh..... Zahhhhhhhh!
    DSCF0459.jpg

Does this look blurry to you?
    DSCF0460.jpg

Cyclotourist showed to bail us out of jail...if need be!
    DSCF0461.jpg

The Video:
    I use what I capture! I hope I got you...:thumbsup:

2. Marty657

Marty657 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Mikie said -I would say the biggest surprise for me was 14 year old Vincent, rockstah son, who totally kicked azz!

Yes he totally did; I need to get a lesson from him.

3. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    I'm ver klempt (spelling?)

4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ MTB Addict

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    We came, we met and we rode. Weather was perfect, people were cool and the trail was spectacular. Well most of it.

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    I was thinking about you guys yesterday while on a separate mission. Good times!

6. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Um. Mikie... why does Strava say that you had a max heart rate BPM of 254, you really should be dead if that's true.

7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ MTB Addict

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    We determined he reached superhero status.

8. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    haha, fair enough :)

9. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Way to send it, guys. Mission accomplished :thumbsup:

10. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Thanks Ken for putting this ride together. Always a great time meeting new people and reuniting with friends on one of the best singletracks in the local mountains. I brought along PATKOUG (lurker here on imtbtrails, post something Pete!) and Vincent. Pete is getting back into MTBing and thought this might be a good ride to stretch his limits. There are bail out options, he was game. Vincent was hesitant to join. He really doesn't know the imtbtrails crew and has never SART'd. I promised him he would enjoy. TTB's suggestion to get the main climb out of the way first was a hit since the weather did get a little warm. The single track from the PO back to Mill creek was coool especially since I had not been that direction in a decade. Down trees here and there but good flow back to Mill Creek. Regrouped a couple times and went towards South Fork. Vincent was having a blast. Pete was also having a good time but the distance and heat started to get to him. At Glass Road he opt to turn around back to Mill Creek, where we all parked. I opted to go with him to make sure all went well while the rest of the group continued to South Fork. Nice an flowy back to MC with a couple breaks. Pete had a great time and enjoyed SART also for his first time. Back at the truck I decided to take the ST back up to glass Road and rejoin the group as they came back down from SF. We met back up right at GR perfect timing. Vincent looking tired but hydrated, ate a cliff bar and had a second wind. Heard he was shreading with Mikie and Voodoo down from SF to GR. Vincent said he totally enjoyed the fast flowy ST. Hey, there's more! Down to MC (second time for me). Great times. Great singletrack. Great group. We had a total blast. Most of us went for pizza afterwards where we also met Cyclotourist. Nice to meet you! This day kicked azz!
    sart 6-18-16 1.jpg

sart 6-18-16 2.jpg
    sart 6-18-16 5.jpg
    sart 6-18-16 3.jpg

sart 6-18-16 4.jpg

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Just loaded a bunch of pics. Uploading the Video as I type...

12. trmn8er

trmn8er Active Member

Name:
    Ken
    Guys thanks to all who came and those that tried to make it happen. It was great getting to meet you and I hope to ride more with each of you. I will also say Vincent was a stud. Serious bike skills and made it look easy. Please upload any pics you may have. I posted a few on my Strava but I'll upload them here too if I can send high quality here. Mikie if large file sizes are discouraged just let me know. Thanks to all!

13. PATKOUG

PATKOUG Active Member

Name:
    Pete
    Current Bike:
    2015 Niner WFO 9
    Ok, this is Pete, Greg and Vincent's friend, and with this, I'll try to stop lurking and start posting...

First of all, I had an truly awesome time and hope that I can start going on similarly awesome rides every weekend!!!

This was my first time experiencing SART and it was also the longest and most epic MTB ride I've ever been on at 2700' climbed and descended over the course of 20.4 miles according to Strava. The riding was super cool as were all of my fellow riders/new friends. The PO Loop was fast and flowy and oh so fun--all singletrack trails should be that fun. The descent from Glass Road was somewhat fragmented compared to the PO Loop with short climbs breaking the continuity of the flow, but was still similarly fun.

THANKS to everyone who enriched my life by participating in this ride ESPECIALLY: Ken for organizing the ride, Tom for sharing his Hammer Nutrition Endurolyte electrolyte replacement pills with me when I was bonking and, of course, the man, the myth, the legend: Mikie Watson, for making ALL of THIS possible by creating this wonderful website to bring us all together and enrich our lives.

THANKS ALL--CAN"T WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN!!! AND AGAIN. AND AGAIN. AND AGAIN. ...

LLPoolJ, trmn8er, ridinrox and 15 others like this.
  14. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    When I saw all the people showing up I figured we would be on the trail for 8 hours. Nooooot! All great riders only one slow leak and no mechanicals. Couple of close calls and I witnessed Marty hook a bar on a stump on the side of the hill and send him, luckily he maneuvered around the ledge and wrought iron supports and lived to ride another day. Epic my friends!

Enough said. Baaallllllz baby!
    Thanks Ken

IMG_4121.JPG

IMG_4122.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

15. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Looks like another great one! But, I never thought I'd see Mikie happy about bagging 3rd place... But it sure beats sasquatch's... :whistling:

16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Wait, what?!?!?!?
    3rd place what? Where??:cautious: What the hail is going on here??? What are you talking about??

Edit: Duh! I get it... Ha hah!:Roflmao That was good. You're talking about the Carls Jr. Numbers we are holding in the last pic above. :thumbsup: Actually, I think we came in last place getting our pizza...:sneaky:

17. Marty657

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Yep, that was a close one, I blinked at the wrong time, got my attention but oh so fun. Once again a great group, looking fwd to another group social. Good times.

18. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Awesome day riding with the crew and meeting new/old members of the tribe.
    Thanks to Da Bomb Squad for hanging back with me when I thought I was bonking.

I skipped the last bit of single track and took Glass Rd. back to the car. I had asked for a water refill at one of the cabins along our route and the lady was really sweet, she refilled my bottle with ice and WARNED me that it was well water and my tummy might not be ready for it. Being a red blooded American man, I shrugged that warning off, thanked her for her kindness and guzzled the whole bottle. Going from South fork back to Glass rd. I started feeling nauseous but figured I was just bonking bad.
    I got back to the car and I'm sitting there bs-ing with Pete (@PATKOUG ) when I go "I think I'm gonna throw-up." Which, I did, and instantly felt better.

Take aways:
    - Never a bad ride with the IMTB crew!
    -Always heed the warning of the locals.
    -Redlands is pretty nice.

PATKOUG, trmn8er, ridinrox and 12 others like this.
  19. knucklebuster

knucklebuster MTB Addict

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Excellent guys, looks like a blast, thanks for posting up the pics and vid!

Faust29, PATKOUG, trmn8er and 2 others like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Glad I got the bat-signal to drop by! Was really great to drop in and meet everyone, if just for a sec. Made it over and got to say hi before the majority left!

Post Office Loop is my go-to summer ride when I want to go for a ride during the day. Just have to remember to bring a bug net as the gnats can be awful on the climb out!

Hope everyone enjoyed the lunch recommendation, it's the Cyclotourist family's go-to favorite!

21. Marty657

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Lunch recommendation was spot on, great pie and a great way to end the ride. I Plan on taking l the wife there for some good pizza soon.

22. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Darn that picture slot machine. It struck again! :thumbsup:

23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Man! That was a good time.
    We need more of these...........:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

24. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
  25. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Yes! But, after mother's day:)

SnakeCharmer, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  26. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I rode Post Office to South Fork solo on Friday. Temperatures were perfect. Trail is in great shape (even the Post Office loop). Only a few gnats. Didn't see another soul in 32 mi. (except cars on the roads)

Go get some!