RR: Rosamond, Ca

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Voodoo Tom, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Well due to the intense pressure from @SnakeCharmer and @CBone I decided to post a video of the ride @Mikie & I took yesterday out in Rosemond.

Not a destination ride but I'll go back with a tour guide who knows how to get to the goods.

First let me make a few things perfectly clear. This is a long and boring video. I had a nice 5 minute long one all edited up and tried to upload it to Vimeo but it froze and crashed my computer 3 times. So I raided the fridge had a couple few beers and did a half assed edit and tried again. This version is not at all fancy or edited down. It's pretty much just us riding around talking and trying to figure out where the goods are. Yes we both had courses loaded up on our Garmins but they were impossible to follow cause the place is like a maze early in the ride. If you decide to watch this it'll be a good chunk of time you will never get back so don't say I didn't warn you.

Grego, Cyclotourist, CBone and 6 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Reminds me a lot of Havasu, Kingman, and even a lil' bit of Bootleg thrown in. It's those sharp volcanic rocks, just waiting to slice up your sidewalls. :mad:

Thanks for posting. Now ya got me yearning for a River run (soon enough, it will happen)! :cool:

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Edit: I just discovered that @Voodoo Tom posted up a video of our ride in Rosamond after I posted up a ride report. So I merged the two. His video corroborates my story so at least you know I was telling the truth!

Okay! Carry on!

My ride report...
    I chose the word Rosamond for this ride report as I do not really know what else to call it. Due to the DEMANDS from "other" imtbtrailers that it's pics or didn't happen I am indeed writing up a report. So... here it be...

Where the hail is Rosamond?

Hwelp? It's in the Antelope Valley on the very western edge of the Mojave Desert. If I'm not mistaken, the Mojave Desert is the largest desert in the United States.
    upload_2018-10-14_17-15-39.png

If you were heading North on Interstate 5 you would split to the east on the 14 freeway out of Los Angeles to go past Valencia, Canyon Country, Agua Dulce, Acton, Palmdale, Lancaster, and then Rosamond, and then Mojave.

Rosamond is probably a place you pulled off to to take a leak, grab some brew (maybe for the road :eek::thumbsup:) or grab some gas on your way to Mammoth as it leads you up the 14 freeway and connects with the 58 and then the 395 past Lone Pine, Independence, Big Pine, then Bishop. Okay, I figure you got it from this.

I have "heard" rumors of some riding out there. I think @CBone mentioned something called "The Trail of Terror" which definitely caught my attention :rolleyes:. So there was some possibility of some trails out there... somewhere to ride...:whistling:

I was supposed to be in Arizona riding a paid event called the Tour of the White Mountains, but that turned in to a total cluster f@$* so I stayed home. Talked with my #1 ride buddy @Voodoo Tom and asked him what he wanted to do, and he said... Rosamond. Rosamond? Really? I thought... Okay. Why not?

So we met at Quail Lake and we loaded up in my Honda Civic and cruised the 138 East to 90th Street West, made a left and then a right on Rosamond Blvd. to 35th Street East where there is a County Library that housed about 4 vehicles in this huge parking lot on a Saturday and none of them were riding bikes.
    Yeah, you guys in O.C. I really feel sorry for you guys...

Finding a parking spot was tough as we had so many to choose from we were not sure where to park!
    DSCF2497.jpg

So Voodoo emailed me three .gpx files of previous rides, I recognized most of those folks.
    We chose one of a girl named Tracy who I know who lives in Rosamond. Ridden with her and she has acquired many a QOM's. So we (attempted) to follow their trail action which ended up impossible! Too many switchbacks and crossed trails it's one of those rides you would have had to been there to figure out what the heck they did.

Off in the distance we saw a rider coming down from this butte, we thought, let's go catch this guy and ask if there is some rhyme or reason to the trail network. We never caught him. So, we finally said Eff It! Forget the STRAVA file, let's just discover the trails as we come across them and see what we ended up with, and we proceeded to give ourselves a heart attack on some steep azz fire road straight up the fricken mountain right around the three and a half mile mark.
    upload_2018-10-13_16-26-12-png.45116.png

So we wandered a bit. Some guys to the north of us were blowing away like $300 dollars worth of ammo target demolishing.

First stop after a nice climb from the desert floor. The mighty Voodoo...
    DSCF2498.jpg

The rocks are pretty cool out here. This is some harsh landscape, the kind you would want to wear knee and elbow pads for the day...
    DSCF2500.jpg

So we continued to wander trying to make sense of the trail system. Hit what I called heart attack hill, then floated some rollers and began to drop on the north side of this butte. Voodoo see's this trail off to the left so we take it wondering if we were going to drop right on top of the ammo consuming gun slingers (but we didn't). Nice singletrack drop and I thought, "Hey this place has some potential." This took us around the base of the butte we climbed and we came across another rider. He kinda gave us a lowdown that Tracy had been building all these trail out here with some others and kinda pointed this way and that way. Apparently we finally hit the main trail and were heading in the right direction...

There are some moments of very cool trails that we found. This one weaved down through some very hostile rocks. We liked it!
    DSCF2501.jpg

Just finished a heart attack climb...
    DSCF2502.jpg

Finally finding the main trail backbone. An over the shoulder shot of the Voodoo!
    DSCF2503.jpg DSCF2505.jpg DSCF2506.jpg

We soon discovered on the northern loop to follow the Purple Paint.
    Purple paint, purple paint
    I only wanted to see you find the trails
    Beside the purple paint...

DSCF2507.jpg

There is a beauty about the desert that some do not get... I get it.DSCF2508.jpg

I would say we had a successful day of somewhat learning the trail system in Rosamond. We both drove away saying, "It may not be a destination trail system, but I gotta admit it is a great alternate to P12!" I think Voodoo agreed...
    DSCF2509.jpg

So when we decided we had had enough we were close to getting our minimum 20 miles and 3 hours of riding in. We puttered towards out start point. But we wanted to find...

"The Trail of Terror"

We never found it. But we did find this sweet ravine with no trail down though it so to get our own thrills we dropped it and kicked it's little azz! That gave us enough of a thrill to call it worthy...

Would we go back?
    I don't think I would from my house, but I'm pretty sure I will be hitting it up as an after work weekday ride plan. I think it actually has more to offer than P12. A bit more grand scale of a playground. Bigger climbs more chunk and certainly sharper teeth in those rocks, and I like and prefer some chunk. It would be great to hit it up with someone that knows those trails like the back of their hand so we can piece together a nice flow system. Then we can expand as we want more mileage or different trail profiles.

Totally glad we went out there!

DangerDirtyD, Luis, Rumpled and 13 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Looks like a combo of Havasu, Kingman, and Bootleg.

I think I said that about this place somewhere else already.

Sharp volcanic rock that likes to slice sidewalls.

5. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Right by Edwards AFB....supposedly it's an open secret with the personnel at that base that they have 'squatch around. You guys see any evidence?

6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    We have at least one here. :whistling:

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
  8. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Intense pressure huh? Well, I do ride an Intense.:thumbsup:
    You guys did find some stuff that I have never seen before. Too bad you don't live a bit closer because there is some interesting stuff you have to bypass because of the , mostly, weekend target shooters.

9. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Nice report Mikie. One day I will hook you up with the trail master. These trails are a nice change, as you said, from P-12.
    We have done a few night rides out there. Once you get to the trails on the back side and you can't see the lights of Rosamond it can be very easy to get disoriented.
    A ride after work is a possibility but lights would be required this time of year.

10. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Or...Willow SPrings Raceway. "Fastest road in the west!" :D

I love it!

I'll have to keep this in mind in the future...

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.