RR: Redlands Strada Sterrata

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Cyclotourist, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Loooong day in the saddle, doing 36 miles. Started off by being on the edge of sick, with what I now know is a sinus infection. Got going a bit late waiting for my buddy stuck in traffic. He was coming up from San Diego, so cut him some slack. He got in, we rolled, and rolled, and rolled. From this forum, Steve, Bernie, J.J., and Eric came out. It was those four, plus six locals, and four Rivendell guys. But by the end, we dwindled to six.
    I had hoped that more would stay together, but it was not to be.
    23037784681_c671f541ab_z.jpg

One broken chain right near the end. Two flat tires 1/3 of the way in ending another friend's ride (He didn't read the disclaimer about goatheads, d'oh!). Other than that the most eventful moment was finding the soda machine at Mill Creek station was out of stock! Oh the humanity...!!!!

I hope I was able to introduce the trails out here to some new people, as well as meet and connect with good folks with similar awesome tastes in having a good time!

You can click through to see the pics on flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/albums/72157661109767341

23000595556_5c5c6b0343_z.jpg

22608311797_75640dcd07_z.jpg

23000587276_ec7d4d7e46_z.jpg

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Nice! Looks like you guys had a good time other than the mechanicals...
    Thanks for the Posting with pics!

mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    My take...

I arrived extra early, because I can't pass up a really good cappuccino, or any other espresso drink. Sadly, I ordered it to go, so that I could go find the Redlands Mall and park for the day. Augie's has real cappuccino cups, not paper, and it would have been much more enjoyable to sit and sip.

IMG_5501.jpg

The Redlands Mall was easy enough to find, and only a block or so over from Augie's which was also the starting point for our ride. So, I geared up and headed over. By the time I got back, there were a couple other riders gathered. Jonathan, who would later take Bernie and me on some extra credit was there on his Turner, ready to roll. I also met Slomosapien, and Riiz, even though I didn't realize it was Riiz until after the ride. The group started to get pretty large, so I had time to try another Augie's coffee. This time- straight up, hair of the dog!

If you ever watch the "Baristas" in starbucks, none of the shots are prepared by hand. They are all machine ground, measured and tamped. The espresso is ok, but it's sort of the McDonalds of the espresso world. Augie's was getting a little busy by this point, so one young barista was preparing the espresso shots by hand, and he gave each brew head a perfect flip to make sure the tamp was correct, as he passed it to the barista pulling the shot. You will never see that at Starbucks...

IMG_5502.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

We rolled out through the streets of Redland, and hit the sand! The sand was a good warmup, and we had a few miles of it... If you want a good workout, try to keep up with the custom built Walt Works fat bike through sand. David was pretty strong, and he had a better tool for this portion of the ride.

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

It was in the sand that our large group started to dwindle in numbers... Some peeled off for prior commitments, and we lost one tubed rider to goatheads. No tubes allowed on this one, @Runs with Scissors! When cyclotourist says they have goatheads, he isn't kidding... I pulled several out of the tires during the day, and another couple dozen stuck to me. Faust, the human pin cushion...

Bees... Lots of bees. I stopped to take the picture of the boxes, and then flew through this section.

IMG_5512.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

We had a nice water stop at the ranger station, and this was the end of the sand...

IMG_5528.jpg

From this point, the ride changed completely. We did a mile or so on the road and connected with "38 special", which is a perfectly maintained single/double track climb that comes close to Zanja Peak. The climb looks like a grinder on paper, but the trail is so well built and maintained that it's much easier than it should be. No fighting rocks, roots, ruts, etc... Very easy on the body, and zero extra effort to stand and mash.

IMG_5536.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg

We reached the high point of the ride, and started the descent... Again, this trail is in great shape and just flows downward for miles...

IMG_5554.jpg

When we reached the Three Hawks trailhead, I recognized it right away from Cyclotourist's avatar picture... It's not a matter of perspective or taking the shot at the right angle. The trail really is that cool in person. Perfectly maintained, tight switchbacks, and flowy descents... :thumbsup:

IMG_5561.jpg
    IMG_5563.jpg

The rest of the ride seemed like all single track... miles and miles of it. IMG_5568.jpg

And then David made the mistake of pointing out Heart Attack Hill... There did not seem to be much enthusiasm in our group for a climb, but I couldn't resist, and it seemed like the ride was going to meet up in the same spot. Jonathan volunteered to climb it with me, and off we went. The descent to get to the base was another fun single track descent... The climb, itself, was rutted fire road. I survived with no heart attack, but as I was regrouping at the top (hyperventilating), I saw Bernie coming up just behind. I didn't realize he was with us... I guess I'm not the only nut!

IMG_5569.jpg

Our little extra credit on Heart Attack gave us even more single track...

IMG_5571.jpg

There are some very expensive homes on the other side of the little canyon approximately 200 yards from this ridge, and at least one golfer in the neighborhood. This seems to be the perfect landing distance for a golf ball, as there were hundreds.

I stopped to take the picture, so the other two got a couple hundred yards ahead. I saw Jonathan drop over the edge, but Bernie seemed a little more cautious. I knew I'd be walking...

IMG_5572.jpg

Goathead...

IMG_5575.jpg

After Bernie got the tire sealed, we chased Jonathan through another 3 mile section of very fast single track... Fast enough that I was in the high gear for most of it trying to keep up with Bernie. :thumbsup:
    At the end, Jonathan pointed us back to town, and we joined some of the others for pizza, beer and tales of our two wheeled conquests...

If Cyclotourist ever says, "Hey, I want to show you some trails.", do it!

https://www.strava.com/activities/432873454

4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Good times were had on this ride. I really enjoyed from the Ranger station on. Nice meeting all of you. Had to meet the family for dinner so couldn't stay for pizza.

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Really like the tag team ride report approach! Awesome to get the two point perspective. Thanks for the text and pics!
    @Faust29 , boy, you really dig your coffee! I think it's cool. I for one have never been able to acquire the talent to "sip" anything, to include my beer. So hot liquids are off my menu...:stop:

Really awesome reports fellas!
    Thank you!

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C

Yeah... Ever since I was a kid, I have to be careful about letting too much blood and oxygen into my caffeine system...

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    @Faust29 I see your avatar has changed!!!
    Thanks for the detailed write up, Steve! And pics as well!
    Glad you were able to enjoy Augie's. I tell you, I think they make the best espresso/capp that I've ever had! And a bike friendly place as you noticed from all the other riders coming through there.

It's hard to get this many riders together, but I think everyone had a good time. Even the ones that peeled off early have said they enjoyed it. There were ~16 in total, which is a pretty good-sized group! THANKS for coming out and supporting this me and this ride! I tried to put together something unique and interesting, and feel it paid off. All public roads, trails and singletrack, so come out any time and tear it up out here!!!

@slomosapien You missed some good pizza and beer! Glad your family could spare you for the day though!

Here are a few more of my pics:
    23013136852_20797e2902_z.jpg

22608285478_3eb1209d8f_z.jpg

22634399249_f027eabb82_z.jpg

8. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Thanks @Cyclotourist for an awesome ride.
    Sorry for not writing a full report but as you all know... Words don't come easy to me. That's why I don't write books. I just ride bikes.
    A few pics I took.

image.jpg image.jpg
    This spot was particularly special to me. You can see San Jacinto (on the right) to San Bernardino on the left with San Gorgonio bearly visible in between. The Sun Dial spot.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

9. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the report guys, looks like a fun ride.

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Berni!
    You are Berni. All you have to do is remain Berni the Magnificent, the Amazing, the Cyclist, the Mountain Biker.
    I'm good with that... (and a couple of pics ever once in a while...;))

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Yeah... I could ride with Berni any time. I knew that when I realized he chose to climb Heart Attack Hill with me. I'm not the only nut who likes going uphill! :thumbsup:

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Berni, thanks for adding the additional pics. I like seeing the ride through different people's eyes so to speak! Also extra thanks for taking Steve up Heartattack... I wouldn't want him to have been lonely up there! You two and Johnathon were the only three of the original 16 who rode the entire route!!!! Congratulations!!!

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Why do you think I wasn't there??:thumbsup::laugh:

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I thought you were suspiciously quiet on this one... Seems like a nail in the coffin for plain old tubes! :thumbsup:

16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Love this photo!

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I heeded the goathead warning. I'm not a fan of running out of tubes 30 miles from the truck.

However, comma, it looked like there were many parts that were goathead free...and quite fun. That heart-attack hill is a must do - I also like to climb.:thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    95% of the trails are goathead free. But damn that other 5%... they'll ruin your day.
    Interestingly, the only ride-ending incident of the day for 16 riders on a nearly 40 mile route was due to goatheads. I can't stand those things.
    Stan's in tubes works pretty good, and lighter than Slime. I do that on my CX bike. Still have to top it off occasionally, no way around that.

19. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Good people here ^^^^!

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    If you put this ride on again in the near future, it would be filled with Chameleons. :p

Cyclotourist likes this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    They're taking over!!! Those plus tires would have been nice riding across the wash!

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Picture Slot Machine... That was a good day. :thumbsup:

And one of my last rides with gears. :inlove:

23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I was riding some of those trails this last weekend and thinking about putting together another invite this fall. It was a fun ride, minus the goathead attacks!

UPSed likes this.
  24. doublewide

doublewide Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    under-nanny-goat-billy-goat-death-pagan-trash-black-metal-headbanger-festival-biker-music-rocker.jpg

Cyclotourist likes this.