RR: Kokopelli 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, May 13, 2019.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    2019 Kokopelli happened!
    People showed, people go'ed, and people did NOT implode!

This being my 6 trip on the Bikerpelli tour bus I have to say once again it ran spectacularly!
    I was very concerned about the weather. We were pelted with heavy rain many times on the drive out.

Cathy, @Voodoo Tom and I drove out in my Dodge Ram Pickup, hitting the pavement from my house at 5:00am and drove nonstop to Moab only stopping for fuel and grub. We made good time and arrived at the Moab Valley RV Park right around 5:30pm.

@mtnbikej, @Faust29, @Fijirob, workmate of Rob's named Aric were already there. @Luis and his family Margie and Johnny were right behind us by about 40 minutes. @HBkites, @Stkx66, @Luis 's friend and now ours even more Pete, @erjzacher and his friend from Florida Justin were all in Fruita.

We stayed at the Moab Valley RV Park in a cabin, uh... they are cozy and we under rented. We had to move a table and two chairs on to the porch so that Voodoo Tom could inflate an air mattress and sleep on the floor. Lesson learned there! But not before hitting up my favorite place to eat Eddie McStiff's!

Around the Table: @Luis, Margie, Johnny, @Mikie, Cathy, @Faust29 (Steve), Aric, @Fijirob (Rob), @mtnbikej (J), and @Voodoo Tom!
    b24e8222-7204-43fe-aa09-fca06bf2f912-jpeg.jpg

We got together Thursday morning at 6:30am meeting in the Moab Valley RV parking lot where we loaded up all the gear to have our two professional shuttle drivers take us to Mack Road and hour and 18 minutes away just outside of Fruita Colorado.

Steve inspecting the bike load and taking pics for insurance purposes.
    DSCF2852.JPG

Professional Shuttle Driver number 1: Mrs. imtbtrails, Cathy.

DSCF2853.JPG

@mtnbikej ! He cut off all his hair so he would not pull it out on the trail with me (True statement!)
    DSCF2854.JPG

@Faust29 (Steve)!

DSCF2855.JPG

@Voodoo Tom ! I'm not sure exactly what is going on here...
    DSCF2856.JPG

@Fijirob. Stoked and anxious all at the same time!
    DSCF2857.JPG

Professional shuttle driver number 2. Margie the magnificent!
    DSCF2858.JPG

Aric! I assume this is how he spells his name since he told someone Aric with no "E".

DSCF2859.JPG

Johnny! Son of Luis and Margie. They don't get much better than this guy!

DSCF2860.JPG

Then there is this guy... @Luis.
    DSCF2861.JPG

Making sure the bikes are safe.

DSCF2862.JPG

The horses, chomping at the bit.
    DSCF2864.JPG

What road trip is complete without the selfie and company pics?
    DSCF2865.JPG DSCF2866.JPG

Professional Driver Number 1 drives with her eyes closed. Yes... She is that good.
    DSCF2867.JPG

Despite our concerns with braille shuttle activity, we made it to Fruita safely and completely "physically" unharmed. The parking lot was already a-buzz with activity.
    DSCF2868.JPG

2. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Day 1
    The Technical day...
    upload_2019-5-13_16-23-19.png

Day 1 is get signed in, mandatory riders meeting, harass Alex the owner/ride coordinator of Bikerpelli as much as possible, load up our duffel bags in the Penske vans, and take off in 4 waves of riders, the fastest riders first. I suggested we go in wave 2 so as to not get stuck behind so many riders that are not used to technical riding. That "seemed" to work well until @mtnbikej spotted the outhouse right before we turn up the road and on to the drop to the Kokopelli trailhead... :gotnothing::rolleyes: and we let a boatload of participants by us. But it worked out okay.

Hooligans...
    Left to Right: Tom , Eric Zacher, Aric, Mikie, J, Steve B, Steve M, Sharone, Rob, and Luis!
    1904162b-d030-4242-964c-ed9906af9c6f-jpeg.jpg

Eric Zacher decided to ride in wave 4 with his buddy Justin who had prepped for this ride in Florida by riding 385 miles...:gotnothing: So yeah, Justin made a good choice to ride in wave 4.

When wave 2 took off... Off we went!
    I don't want to write up all the details as I would like for the rest of the hooligans to share their experience in details. I took 175 pics and whittled it down to 95 pics so I am going to post pics and captions...

We ended up a rider group of 10: Tom, Aric, Rob, Jason, Steve 3.0, Steve Macko, Luis, Sharone, Pete, and myself. Our goal was to cruise this at a pace that would get us through the day, but on time... I have already had it explained to me that I do not understand the word cruise. :gotnothing: I'm sorry...

Tom aka @Voodoo Tom...

DSCF2870.jpg

Sharone aka @HBkites...

DSCF2871.jpg

Pete now @peteNes ! Welcome to imtbtrails brothah!

DSCF2873.jpg

Steve 3.0 aka socially awkward Steve, aka Hot Dog Steve, aka
    The rider surpriser to us all! Hot Dawg has a whole new meaning for this sleeper...:eek:

DSCF2874.jpg

Rob aka @Fijirob!
    You did it! You lived it! You rocked it! Who was the professional photographer here? :rolleyes:

DSCF2875.jpg

Steve aka @Faust29. Seems to be happy about things...

DSCF2876.jpg

A few loose Hooligans...

DSCF2877.jpg

The Crossing of Salt Creek...
    So the bridge that crosses Salt Creek is always fun. It marks the end of the initial three loops called the Fruita Loops (seriously, that's what they call them) Mary's Loop, Lions Loop, and Troy Built Loop.

Aric... ALWAYS smiling. Even when he says, This Sucks!"

DSCF2878.jpg

Pete, the quietest guy on the trip. Always had a low key smile going...
    DSCF2880.jpg

Then... There is this guy. Awkward Steve, Steve 3.0, uh, Hot Dog Steve...
    To me, this guy transformed into Hot Dawg Steve. I liked it! Who is taking this pic?!?!?!?

DSCF2882.jpg

ROB! Digging it!

DSCF2883.jpg

Voodoo-ster! Always cool under pressure...

DSCF2884.jpg

Luis! The Man!

DSCF2886.jpg

Crossing Salt Creek we spin along to get to a serious Hike-A-Bike which leads to another Hike-A-Bike, which then leads to another Hike-A-Bike. Really, after you have done them a couple of times you get used to them. We spin a while on fire road that get's us to the mid check point and lunch! After lunch? The Western Rim Trail!

This is the first Hike-A-Bike. It's not Epic unless there is Hike-A-Bikes!
    DSCF2890.jpg
    DSCF2889.jpg

After lunch and lubing my chain "BECAUSE I WANTED TO!" We take off past Castle Rock after about 5 miles of silty red powdered sand to get to the Western Rim Trail. This trail for me is notably a highlight as it is fun and flowy and everywhere you look it is an absolute "Post Card" as Rob put it.

Castle Rock...
    DSCF2893.jpg

DSCF2897.jpg

Hitting the Western Rim Trail is one of the best features of the Kokopelli Trail! Here we are getting ready to dive in!

DSCF2898.jpg

DSCF2900.jpg

DSCF2901.jpg

DSCF2902.jpg

DSCF2903.jpg

DSCF2904.jpg

DSCF2906.jpg

DSCF2907.jpg

A face only a Muthah could love!
    DSCF2909.jpg

The magnificent 10! Lucky too!

DSCF2911.jpg

If you look at the STRAVA profile above... it's okay @herzalot, you can "look" at STRAVA :rolleyes:, it shows at the very end of the ride this hellacious last climb to final camp for day 1 on top of a huge butte.
    This is the road at the top of that quarter mile of hell same road at the bottom.

DSCF2912.jpg

The Dining Room window... yeah you guys blew it, you should have went.
    DSCF2913.jpg

Yeah, you guys blew it, you should have went... Taco Thursday!
    DSCF2916.jpg

Yeah, that's Day 1...

3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Day Two.
    The long Haul...
    upload_2019-5-15_7-5-52.png
    Day 2 is according to Alex just a long roadie miles type day. He's lying. :eek: He left out the rest...
    It's long miles with a shuttle to a quick chunky drop, then a brutal climb to a supah chunk 4 wheel drive road, then the Rose Garden, then another long grind climb to the valley we stay in that night.

It starts out, oh so easy with a nice 4 wheel drive road to Harley Dome Road, barely a two laner. Then we ride a long trek across a ancient ocean bed to reach the Colorado river again where we follow the river for a bit, then climb out of the river basin to drop onto State Route 128 to Check in and lunch. There we get shuttled up about 6 miles to a drop off point, bomb... then climb a tough after mid day ride for what seems like eternity to hit that 4 Wheel Drive road. To be honest? It's worth it! I don't think I have EVER seen such a big smile on @mtnbikej 's face playing in the rough!

Not many pics of this day as it goes from boring to extreme. Highlight of the day was some chick trying to "Chick" us out of the next shuttle. @HBkites got a little rough with her :rolleyes:. Alex had to jump in and said handle it or "he" would handle it. We suggested go by "check in" time to lunch which Chick mistakenly agreed to. I knew we had them at that point. This gave us the strategy of getting the shuttle with the Thule wheel rack as oppose to the hideous crank arm slots! :eek: We "chicked" the Chickster and she was not happy... but it was fair and square... :thumbsup:

Mr. Smiles... Mr. Luis. There is a mountain in those background clouds. A mountain we will be riding to today.

DSCF2917.jpg

"J" seemed pretty alright as well.
    DSCF2918.jpg

You don't realize it... but he is grinning from ear to ear!

DSCF2919.jpg

:eek:What happen?!?!? Make up overload on Sharone. Blend brothah... blend!
    DSCF2920.jpg

Aric, as promised... Huge Grin Guy!

DSCF2921.jpg

Gaggle of Hooligans to include Keith aka @YETIKK out of Colorado. Brother to Brian Kiggins also a member here who has done Kokopelli with us! Does @Faust29 's smile look forced?
    DSCF2923.jpg

Some beasts, released!
    DSCF2925.jpg

Tom the Voodoo Man!
    DSCF2927.jpg

This is the happiest I have ever seen Sharone @HBkites !
    DSCF2931.jpg

Horrible Colorado pics again...:sneaky:
    DSCF2932.jpg

Man that guy is dashing!
    DSCF2933.jpg

Almost to Check in point one for lunch, we uh, hit a construction zone and had to wait our turn...
    DSCF2935.jpg

The Rose Garden
    Fast forward to after Check In, the Chicked Chick, the Shuttle, the Brutal Climb, the Crazy Awesome 4 Wheel Drive Drop, to where we are now at the Rose Garden. To be honest? It has sanitized a LOT in the last two years. The top was totally doable but there was about a 20 foot sectin upper mid point that only one person of the entire Bikerpelli group cleaned less one dab... and that was Aric! :eek: What the F...!!!
    DSCF2936.jpg
    That road off in the distance background of the above pic is actually that last big grind climb up to a valley that we stayed in night number two. Should give some perspective as to how steep the Rose Garden drop is.

The climbing for Day two is done! One more mile and it is a left turn into Camp two for the night of margaritas, brew, and excellent food and company!
    DSCF2938.jpg

Me and my partner in crime!

DSCF2939.jpg

Home Sahhhweeeeet Home! I think I was much "quieter" on night two...:unsure:
    DSCF2941.jpg

Room with a view. Right now Hot Dawg Steve is setting up his camp spot. Everybody seemed farther away on night two...:rolleyes:o_O
    DSCF2942.jpg

...and then the morning light of Day 3! Climbing day and then the World Class Porcupine Singletrack system!

Day two is in the bag!

4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Day 3
    Climbing Day with a Yugh Payoff!

upload_2019-5-13_20-16-49.png

A new day, Day 3!

dscf2944-jpg.jpg

Day 3 can be considered brutal. You are tired. been riding two straight days with some big climbs and punchy chunk. Now you got 17 miles of fire road grind with a false summit to get over the La Sal Mountain Range.
    Ehhh. No biggie if you trained, but it still hurts... :rolleyes: I started out sluggish, I was tired and I'm slow off the start anymore with these aging bones. So the group in the beginning was overtaking me. But I just chugged on. It's long haul and you got to think about the big picture and just think one pedal stroke at a time and remember the killer reward at the end of the day... Epic Porcupine Ridge!

Voodoo Tom with snow capped mountains behind him and we were already around 7800 feet elevation where we sat!
    DSCF2945.jpg

DSCF2946.jpg

Sharone in the foreground, but look at this guy behind him. Yup! Hot Dawg Steve! What in the world?!?!?
    DSCF2949.jpg

From High Desert to High Alpine in just a matter of a couple hours...

DSCF2952.jpg

DSCF2954.jpg

The bottom after the false summit is a bridge with rushing ice cold water blasting underneath it. You can look East to see the Valley we climbed up out of.

DSCF2956.jpg

DSCF2960.jpg
    DSCF2961.jpg
    DSCF2963.jpg
    DSCF2964.jpg
    DSCF2967.jpg
    Just past the summit there is a little info parking lot that highlights some petrified dinosaurs foot prints. Supposedly the real deal! So it was a moral imperative to stop and check it out!

DSCF2972.jpg

DSCF2973.jpg

DSCF2974.jpg
    We then bomb down a paved road to Lunch Check in for Day 3. I don't think I have ever gone faster on my mountain bike. I hit 47.7 miles per hour on that winding twisty paved road. It was cold but it was fast!

Fast forward to UPS and LPS. I took the traditional pics and then as usual just bombed it from there.

Voodoo at the Shuttle Drop off. Views were okay...
    DSCF2975.jpg

Then of course the classics!
    DSCF2976.jpg

DSCF2978.jpg

DSCF2981.jpg

This is the heavy duty switchback i would love to see someone clean!

DSCF2982.jpg

At the very bottom and now cruising in to home plate back in Moab at the Moab Valley RV Park. This is the cruise in victory lap.
    DSCF2986.jpg

DSCF2988.jpg

Back at the finish... I got some smiley face pics. I missed some folks and I am very sorry about that!

Rob!

DSCF2992.jpg

Steve!
    DSCF2993.jpg

Luis!
    DSCF2994.jpg

#Ihateyoumikie #fumikie... Tom!
    DSCF2995.jpg

Sharone! Smiling!
    DSCF2996.jpg

Margie!
    DSCF2997.jpg

Johnny!

DSCF2998.jpg

Eric!
    DSCF2999.jpg

...annnnnnd Pete!
    DSCF3001.jpg

Another classic under the belt...
    At the Awards ceremony, our group actually won 3 of them. Biggest Crash (Sharone), Freshest Newbie (Justin with 385 miles of training in Florida), and the "Who suckered the most people to show up for Bikerpelli (Yours Truly!:inlove:)

The Who Suckered the most people to ride Bikerpelli Award!
    3acc0d53-e683-4fc4-86bb-51ea296a4a27-jpeg.jpg

mtnbikej, jimbowho, Redman and 12 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    So good...is this not the stuff we live for??

TFPU!!!!!

7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yup! That's it! :rolleyes:
    As I write up Day's One, Two, and Three, I'm hoping all that rode will post up their reports and pics. Hoping for a cool conglomerate of write ups and I don't want to steer or taint their perspectives. I am writing up Day 1 as I type this. :thumbsup:

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It's gonna be a little while....still digesting.

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Yeah... Make them wait. Let's not tell them just yet which IMTBer dropped his drawers in front of the whole crowd at the end!

10. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I'm gonna have to do this for my AZTR trip report. :thumbsup:

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    All,
    I just realized I was uploading full sized pics. So this is going to take eternity to load. I will replace them with reduced sized pics.
    Sorry about that!

Edit:
    Done!

12. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    @Mikie Cannot view second set of pics? Last viewable pic is Luis the Man crossing the bridge.

doublewide, -ROCKY- and Voodoo Tom like this.
  13. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer

-ROCKY- and Mikie like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    @Tom the Bomb, refresh your screen. That usually works here for me when I can only see the image codes.

15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    No that did not work.

-ROCKY-, Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Darn

Tom the Bomb, -ROCKY- and Mikie like this.
  17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    I'm with TTB on this, lots of the pics aren't loading for me. Tried on 3 different devices as well as refreshing the screen bunches of times and seems pretty random as to what pictures I can see. The ones that show up are f'ing badazz though...

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I'm calling GoDaddy tomorrow. This has been a cluster F with the new server. Thanks for your kindness all!

19. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Wow what an adventure!!! :geek: Thank you guys for sharing so much!!! :D

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
  21. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    On my Samsung Android on Verizon I see all the pics just fine. Maybe resizing for mobile?
    Looks like a great adventure!

22. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Thanks for that info, can also view the photos on phone :thumbsup:

Capture (11).JPG

23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Great job!
    This shuttle drivers look a little shady though....

24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    That's a fun pic but I noticed immediately that @Voodoo Tom has a water bottle in his hand instead of a Shock Top. :D

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I wouldn't worry. Tom stepped up and did his part in the beer consumption. I tried to hang on, but fell off the back! :D

mike, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  26. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Some German you are....

mike, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 9 others like this.
  27. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Long day so I had a bottle of tailwinds recovery before round 2 of trying to blow the Dos Equis keg. It was floating but going flat so I behaved :confused:...

mike, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I am at work and just checked. I can see all the pics above. o_O Maybe I overloaded the server with Koko pics?
    Let me know!

29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    No sir, they are not showing. I can see only codes.

Actually, I see the first half of the images and the rest are codes.

30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    :eek::bang::mad: