RR: Kaibab Bikepack

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by schillingsworth, Jun 22, 2020.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Last weekend had grand plans for a 3 day bikepack up on the Kaibab Plateau. The plan was to drop a vehicle at Stateline CG on the Utah border, start the ride near Jacob Lake. We'd ride out to the Rainbow Rim trail, camp near one of the springs before rolling down to Point Sublime early the next morning. From there we'd hop over to the North Rim Village then hit the AZT to the East Rim Overlook for camp #2. Day 3 would be all AZT back to the van. Only one problem, the Mangum Fire broke out a few days prior to our arrival calling a route audible to be made....

Kaibab Bikepack: Smoke 'n Fire.

JlcKjbvVbpNYApAdDMUt89AkcClp3gPrGfts_7kd3_ODCNeQHzHDnMP3XNqmYWznxn2DiPg=w1684-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
    Lots of smoke, but a small burn footprint.

lDl-e5aPmMj1O8IN2tDIL45-xLyLLyk8TqliOFYN-XKTUZzA7kelYN9HHKwsHw6LT9mAJdg=w1684-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
    Historic Ranger District cabin across from Jacob Lake.

_O3Er0k-AKYZErSUZ8ZQmh1cTw28y_MixlxGE3f8T8fHKdy_TD8SI90n-Qma55C5THnrgdg=w1684-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
    Rainbow Rim trail.

5G6XbQmapkaA3xmcytUlYlE0KpaEtoByWI92XMlTwVqBD-1betRId0FnFaiVxvWTx-Ow9X3w=w533-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
    Yours truly at Point Sublime.

3zfqGSS42l3M2Xw5KJUJ-8xvCghA1VQ_dCgVtZyrvE4PQ5E1b_xXkC4B8e8egONysCm6dIw=w1684-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
    The views were better than average.

1BgjxG1PwbOahzOJQ5iGMQMGnZoY7y6ymLNiP3jg_5W5d0yv_d7x6WxbVgeFP4YRXFXbNQg=w1684-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
    Exiting the Canyon after getting word about Jacob Lake's evacuation orders and the North Rim closure.

O7oQ8e7we9XO_4RuNCx6loEKCnmHRkJxAC6c_Wvm8_9XaBi2avpHX3M7NTW3eUu7tysp2kA=w1684-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
    A speedy assist back to our vehicles. No bail money needed!!

oK04iqyT_X_t6CAuSY7Ak74Ewk9SCHDcTpjij2OTPl2MxjeOfwodbaZkloOLBNeT7il7VfQ=w1684-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
    Adios El Kaibab!!

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    Bummer about the fire and evac. But thanks for posting up. Living a dream through your adventures! :thumbsup::cool:

3. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo
    Great ride area and bummer about the fire/evac. At least you got a speedy ride out.

4. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    The real bummer is it's still burning!! Almost burned out though, as is the Bush Fire after 180,000 acres toasted near Four Peaks. Not to mention Mt. Lemmon is all but lost at this point. Such a sad fire season over here & no end in sight.

If you haven't seen this wildfire website, it's worth a look: NWCG.gov

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Is North Rim a destination? Is there other trails in the area?

mtnbikej and mountaingirl sara like this.
  6. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    Amazing ride @schillingsworth.

Is there riding up to four peaks? You are probably the best one to ask. I miss my long Orange County climbs living in north Phoenix now.

mtnbikej and mountaingirl sara like this.
  7. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    Sorry your ride was cut short. hopefully the fire will not explode.

I was there almost a year ago to the date. Rainbow rim is great. I was camped at the trail head... so to be clear I am no where near as ambitious as schillingsworth, yet!

we did goose and jem on the way to north rim, and the whole guacamole on he way back.

8. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Strictly for singletrack, maybe or maybe not - depends how you look at it. The north rim is kind of off on its own, 2 hrs from Hurricane or 4 from Flagstaff. For singletrack there's really only Rainbow Rim and AZT. I wouldn't consider either trail in itself to be amazing riding but the scenery is great. To be able to ride singletrack with views into the Grand Canyon is very special. Considering national park is there and other sights, that adds quite a bit you can see and do in the area.

To me the ideal way to ride RR is two out and backs from the middle which gives you two days riding. They have been building 8mi more singletrack on the south end as well, not sure how that is progressing. AZT is harder logistically since it's a point to point or a loop using forest roads. Fewer people seem to ride it than RR which may be due to logistics or simply lack of knowledge. It is highly worth a road trip to the area at some point, and you can hit other stuff on the way up or way back to break up the drive.

OTHRider, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?