RR: Horn Trail Repeat!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Short but packs a wallop!
    The Horn Trail is easily becoming one of my all time local fav's! There was a lot of bouncing around for this ride over in the Trailhead invite. A lot of "maybe's" that turned into nope's, but ALL of them totally missed out!

The day after an apparent downpour in the mountains behind Santa Paula, that loose and dusty Horn Trail two weeks ago was total HERO dirt with sandpaper gription, deeper ravines, more exposed rock, faster flow, and an incredible good time factor x10!

Yes, the day was that good.

upload_2018-12-1_16-53-45.png

Admittedly it was a short ride. @Voodoo Tom had a place to be ironically up in my neck of Canada for the local town of Frazier Park's small town Christmas Parade by 3:30pm.
    So I got to be the lucky guy and deliver him to Caveman Cavey's Pizza Parlor right on schedule to meet Voodoo Momma at the family pizza galleria!

So instead of heading to to the upper unridden section of Horn Trail, we decided to drop in where all the rest of the MTB'ers drop in.

But let's back up...

After the much "to do" by VT and myself after our ride on Horn Trail two weeks ago, @mike made the ride invite for a repeat since he would be in town for a very short window. After all the maybe/maybe not's, it ended up being @mike, @Voodoo Tom , and myself. We met mike at Reeves Road just East of Ojai. He drove a rental there. Voodoo and I drove and got him and his Gorilla Gravity steed and back tracked to Summit Elementary School right next to Sisar Road. 2 hours and 26 minutes later after 8 Miles and 3100 feet of elevation, we were at the Horn Trailhead to drop some scrumptious chunkfest singletrack! So yeah, only 14.5 miles of riding but it was all climb and all chunky bombing! ...and Chunk bombing it was. Mike led out and we switched leads a couple of times but after a couple of “let him go by's” I just let mike lead.

I got schooled...

mike is a very talented rider and sections I just did not have the balls to attempt he just rolled right through. :eek: I gotta get out more, session more, and trust my bike more!

It was a railing good time. Short but sweet!

The rain had deepened some of the sections and exposed even more chunk! In the beginning when we took off... a section caught me off guard and one of my boys took a serious hit on the saddle and I had to stop and recover for a minute. Yowtch!:(:gag:

Pretty sure mike fell in love with this trail... Voodoo and I were driving home and pretty much decided that the Santa Paula area was going to be our "go to" winter ride area. With Gridley, Horn, and Red Reef, plus we are hearing of more trails, Santa Paula is proving to have the "goods"!

Feel sorry for all the guys who missed out today as the weather ended up picture perfect-o and it was total hero dirt!

Viva la Horn! If you like chunk, go get you some!

The start of an 8 Mile Climb
    DSCF2600.jpg

Photo Bomb the partial Selfie.
    DSCF2603.jpg

A lot of the Sisar climb looked like this now from the downpour.
    DSCF2608.jpg

Oh yeah...
    DSCF2605.jpg

Mike and Voodoo...
    DSCF2609.jpg

Peaking over a boulder to look out over Oxnard and the ocean.
    DSCF2610.jpg

After the Chunkfest heading back to the rendezvous point. Beautiful neighborhood!
    DSCF2611.jpg

Waiting for the return of the shuttle. I was in charge of the bookend steeds.
    DSCF2613.jpg

Said until next time to mike. Learned some things from "The Teacher". After a great big hug we parted ways hoping and waiting already for next time. Voodoo and I chattered non stop all the way home how we were going to adopt the Santa Paula area as our new local area. The Nordhoff ridge just continues to reveal epic gold for us mtb miners. So we are going to keep mining that area for all the gold its got!

Go get you some!

Ride it. Like you stole it!
    :thumbsup:Mikie

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Great report!

Dont forget to add Pratt to the list of possibilities! Its got the goods as well.

3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Hmmm, a night stay in the area would be in order.

4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I know a guy who is building a custom one man trailer? :thumbsup:

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Did I leave out Pratt? Then there you go! One more reason to hit the goods in Santa Paula! :thumbsup:

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Gridley Pratt loop or Sisar Nordhoff Gridley O/B Pratt.

7. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Way to go Hooligans! I will make it out there soon. Just to busy this Sat.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Nice work, gents. :thumbsup: Yes, from my intel, @mike is next-level on his bike in difficult situations. :confused:

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.

We see enough of the plastic wonder bikes. More Smash pictures, please. :p

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Uh...
    The professional photographer we hired didn’t show due to a conflict with a wedding on his calendar...:rolleyes:
    If I remember correctly, some of those maybes ended up “nope’s” out of OC...:whistling:

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    TFPU, Mikie!

:thumbsup:

FF1E9FEA-09AF-48F2-99C1-88C495C0AD81.jpeg

I’m gonna head out on Poodle Dog Watch shortly...Gridley with sight lines should be good :sneaky::thumbsup:

12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Still sitting at the inlaws place and haven’t had time to chime in. Just gotta say thanks to the maniacal Mike’s for an awesome day in the dirt. I never want ride plans catered to me but really appreciate you guys cutting the day a little short to get me home with time to spare. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to ride with @mike and check out his smash. That bike is just flat out stunning to me, both sexy and industrial.

So a quick summary:
    Company~awesome
    Weather~perfect
    Dirt~sticky
    Rocks~lots
    The chatting~terrific
    Voodoos riding~pathetic
    Mikes riding~next level
    Mikie’s riding~racked his boys and still made me look bad.

Any skills I had were apparently left in the truck and I was lucky to have survived. Just one of those days for me. Came unclipped at a real bad time and got bounced around like a pinball and thought I was a dead man. Climbing was no issue. Just as we got to the end of the trail my rear brake decided to quit working and lever pulled clear to the bars, glad it waited till the end.

I missed the nut cracking incident but came around the corner to see @Mikie hunched over the bars looking like he wanted to hurl. Apparently he regained composure though cause he spent the rest of the trail dropping me like a bad habit.

Watching @mike work his magic on that smash was a real treat. He’s got some incredible courage and skills and trust in his equipment and stoke. I’m still in disbelief that he just blindly came around the corner in to the waterfall rocks and just handled business. Very impressive and just a fun dude to hang out with.

I took my GoPro and think it was on this time so when I get home this evening I’ll check.

13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Fingers crossed that the GoPro was on this time. :whistling:

14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    @Voodoo Tom, this is your conscience speaking. When are you going to check to see if your GoPro was turned on and if it was, when are you going to share the footage with your fellow imtbtrail.com buds? That is all... :whistling:

Faust29, mike, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  15. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    GoPro was on and trust me I've been trying to edit it and post up. Just been having major technical difficulties. Starting to think it might be time for "new computer day"...:(
    If and when I do finally get it to work it'll be ridiculously long and make you sea sick though cause I had the camera mounted on the stem cap.

Faust29, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I'm a seaman, so a bumpy video does not make me nauseous. Bring it! :thumbsup:

Faust29, ~JB~, mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Confusers are stupid cheap these days. It's usually your software though. Have you looked at Cyberlink MediaSuite? Works purty darn well and comes preinstalled on some.

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 1 other person like this.
  18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    It's Guerilla, but I'd guess that beast of a bike conjures thoughts of an 800 pound ape... Sounds like a great ride. Thanks for the report and pics!

19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Ok I was finally able to cobble together a video. Between my lack of time, aging computer and GoPro studio constantly crashing I almost gave up. It's really long and really bumpy so if you get sea sick take some Dramamine or don't watch. Video doesn't show anything new or catch much of the action but it is what it is, still a crazy fun day on the trail with two good dudes.

~JB~, mike, hill^billy and 7 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    mike, hill^billy, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Actually, it's Guerrilla! And the only reason I know is because I typed it into the Pinkbike sales forum every day for a couple months. :D Missed a good deal on a Trail Pistol. :cry:

Sorry, Knuckles... I usually avoid the grammar nazi role, and leave that to our two self appointed grammarians.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, mike and 2 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Awesome! I usually tune out after a few minutes, but you got me for the full 15!

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  23. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    No worries here, I'm usually the last one to point out spelling/grammer 'cause I generally suck at spelling and don't remember spell check catching this one(?), but in this case I thought the brand deserved the true meaning intended (just think if everyone called them "santa cruise").... and I hope @Mikie was not put off by my incorrect correction:confused:
    Enjoyed the vid @Voodoo Tom, some good stuff there!

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Sweet! Your efforts are appreciated, Tom...perseverance is a virtue :geek:

Vid does a great job of imparting the character of the trail – rocky and rough! Embedded plus loose rock makes it super fun, but maybe for best results have some worthy wheels/tires. Squish recommended; many rough sections too long to just lighten up/hop through. (Yes, I'm sure it's been done on a gravel bike...) There are intermittent short smoother visible parts on the trail, but also many sudden situations and random rocks one could get in trouble going fast. Some off camber, many good sight lines. Stellar position and views.

I can't say there was an aspect of the trail I did not like. HCT has it all. A fantastic quick hit of real mountain biking. Add great camaraderie, boom, perfect day. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  25. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    That poodle will impede the ride in no time, unfortunately the much needed rain will thicken it up Quick, so unless somebody like that guy with the shovel feels like cutting it back, than most likely I will never get to ride that trail?

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Well let's get up there with a Hoe and hoe those beeeeotches down while they are small and helpless!
    I'm in!

27. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    I must be immune or lucky because the 1st time we were up there on upper Horn I had trouble finding the trail and was trudging around in the stuffo_O.

28. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    I think I’ve been know to work on a trail or two, and have removed some poodle, but man I had to be careful, and still got a minor bout of it. But still it was scary nasty. I think I’ll leave it to the guys who it doesn’t seem to bother. Let me know when your done?

Tom the Bomb, mike and Mikie like this.