RR: Horn Trail, Ojai CA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    We were going to go do Pig Pharm and we were going to contact @scottay to see if he could lead the ride but it looked as if Scottay had been off the bike for a while. So on our typical Friday night last minute decision, Tom threw out there we climb Sisar to Red Reef, drop that, then climb back up and do Horn Trail. Sure! I'm in...

We buzz over to Ojai and park in the usual spot at Summit Elementary School parking lot and there were some locals there just getting ready to head out. They took off as we were getting ready.

Finished packing up and we headed out as well. Sisar is a long grind climb fire road all the way to the top of Nordhoff Ridge Road that rides the spine of the mountain range to the North of Fillmore. It's about a 10 mile climb. You would know that from my STRAVA but I forgot to turn my Garmin on for the first 2 miles or so.
    :rolleyes: :mad:Doh!

upload_2018-11-18_14-53-21.png

As we cruised along we had a gravel grinder come up from behind us. There was a 60 mile race that day which included Sisar, but at Nordhoff they were heading left and we were heading right. He was in the race but not in the race. He cut the course and was only doing the race to try out his new steed. He stopped at the first gate and was taking some gear off. Quite a unique mix of parts. A titanium hardtail frame front and rear disc but I noticed the front brake was cable actuated on his very odd fork for a Gravel Bike.
    DSCF2565.JPG

So we headed on, he passed us again never to be heard from again...
    The elevation gain is pretty rapid for Sisar. In no time we were gaining some significant altitude.

Looking down on the canyon we climbed up just after we turned the corner out of the woods.
    DSCF2566.JPG

When we got to the bottom of Red Reef Trail we saw this inspiring signage.:(
    DSCF2567.JPG

We continued up Sisar to actually catch the guys who left the parking lot ahead of us. As soon as Tom saw them ahead of us I felt the pace pick up some. I used to be like that...:unsure:

As we got close to the main Horn Trailhead... VOOM! goes past us the first gravel bike dude in the lead. Geez! Like we were standing still! I think a total of 8 of them would get by us by the time we hit the summit of Nordhoff.

When we got to the main Horn Trailhead. We stopped for a few minutes. I was already telling I would not have it in me to climb up to Red Reef and drop it only to climb back to this point and drop Horn Trail. But I looked to the right and saw right in front of us the end of the upper Horn Trail. I asked the guys that caught up to us who were now throwing on their pads about it and they said, "Oh, that's the upper part of Horn Trail, not too popular, pretty rough." I look at Tom... Tom looks at me. Good compromise. We said, "Thanks guys, we are going to do upper Horn Trail." Tom says as we are riding up..

"HOW BAD COULD IT BE!"

So we climbed the extra miles and arrived at the Upper Horn Trailhead and we padded up. Yup! Mikie got some Troy Lee Pads to be ready for the @Tom the Bomb Black Friday Palm Canyon Epic!

Voodoo Tom
    DSCF2568.JPG

Mikie in baggies and pads... Say what?
    DSCF2576.JPG

The beginning of the upper Horn Trail.
    DSCF2572.JPG

Tom checking it out. Yeah, we climbed up from down there.
    DSCF2571.JPG

Lower Horn Trail off in the distance.

DSCF2573.JPG

Selfie
    DSCF2570.JPG

So we hit it. A little rough at first, but we got in a rhythm. Mainly trying to just figure out the flow for next time we ride it. Oh and there will be a next time. It was rough around the edges but it was awesome!

Hit the bottom of the upper, regrouped for 30 seconds and hit the main trail across Sisar. Chunky Monkey!

Reminds you of Red Reef as it should but much longer! and a lot more chunky! Almost went over the bars a couple of time not having my weight back far enough. Made poor Tom ride out front for vid eye candy. He prefers I lead on the new stuff. I think I'm his guinea pig. :eek:

There were several cleanable places we did not clean. We had to roll it to know what to do next time. But this is our kinda trail! Chunky brushy, lots of exposure and not well traveled. No taking action pics on this trail! The upper was growing a very nice crop of Poodle Dog due to the fire. Bummer!

As dry as it's been, it was awesome to see so much water and recovering greenage!
    DSCF2577.JPG

Very few sections of flow.
    DSCF2578.JPG

The Mikie Watson behind the back... shot.
    DSCF2579.JPG

The chunk went from awesome to very awesome! We even got a warning from one of the hikers saying it got more dangerous. Like it! We switched leading a couple of times and came across only a couple of hikers who were out of their way nice! When we did finally hit the bottom. We needed to ride about 4+ miles of back roads to get back to Summit Elementary. If we were to do this as a group ride, we would definitely would drop a shuttle car just to get everyone back. Our back road adventure had us poaching a private school, private property, hoping gates. and a 23% grade paved climb on tired legs.

All we could say all the way home was... "That, was awesome!" How did we not pay attention to this one in the past! A new favorite and yet so close!
    Winner winner Chicken Nuggets Dinner! :thumbsup:

:eek: The video is 15 minutes long. If that's too long for you then don't watch it :rolleyes:. It's a pretty fun trail and I wanted to capture as much as I could. I had the GoPro attached to a K-Edge handlebar mount pointing upwards and back towards the steering stem in effort to get less exaggerated side to side motion. The image is still all over the place but it does give a great account of the trail. Going to invest in one of the latest GoPro's that boast no need for a gimbal.

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Nice one, Guys...

And th0se Lauf forks aren't much. Something like 60mm of "travel". I had one pass me during True Grit going up Zen Trail of all places... o_O

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yummmmmm........chunkalicisous :Barefoot:

4. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    It's too bad our radius of riding is a bit too far apart. I like your sense of adventure. Me and my buddy are always looking for some trail less traveled to spend a day exploring.

Sometimes I think we've hit it all within 1-2 hrs of us, but then my buddy pulls out some old map or says he remembers going somewhere with his dad when he was a kid and we're off on the next adventure.

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Sounds like a perfect day. Nice ride, guys. Thanks for the report, Mikie. :thumbsup:

Horn Canyon trail is still a thorn in my side...better fix that. :cautious:

6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You sure are chatty... “chunky monkey”:Roflmao
    Looks like a fun adventure!

Tom the Bomb, Old Skool, mike and 5 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    So @Mikie... you are now riding with an external speaker? o_O
    Sounds like the bass from the Seinfeld intro with techno layered over the top.

Good ride and RR. Adventurous! :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  8. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    What!?!?
    AND wearing baggies :eek::thumbsup:

UPSed, Tom the Bomb, mike and 7 others like this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Now that you have conformed to baggies @Mikie, although turning your soundtrack to an almost undetectable level is a nice step, I think the majority would rather the music get canned altogether?:inlove:
    Looks like a fun trail, I’m soft on poodle though. Like a big keep out sign.

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    It's been a couple days now and I'm still grinning ear to ear and chuckling over this ride. It was so much fun. Love the commentary in the video especially "One more behind me he's not very smart either":Roflmao:confused:o_O.

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    The music has to go! Especially the free 80s techno pop on this one. :gag::sick: It covers up all of @Mikie 's "Oooofffs" as he's saving himself from going OTB. :p

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    And I will re upload it without the music.
    I guess you guys never knew how much I talk to myself and bystanders when I ride....
    It's a constant "mumbling"...:rolleyes:

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    I can see Horn getting done around end of the month. Every ride starts with a thought :geek:

I’ll check out your vid after I try for the onsight. :)

14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hah . . . . hah.
    No I don't ride with a speaker. I have the dude from the Dr. Pepper commercials bring his band in my camelbak! o_O sheesh. I thought EVERYONE was doing that...

This is going to be a tough transition for me as I worry about all the dead air space of no background music. I notice it does drown out some of the undertone comments.

So I'm going to re-upload "unplugged".

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yup! I'm a badazz now. Don't muck with me, boy.

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Don't be Poodle Dog paranoid!
    Apparently Tailwind Nutrition makes you immune to it. I've plowed through it many times, on the way home walk through a car wash without the car and never got it once.... :geek:.
    Maybe I'm just lucky or the Tailwind really works! :cool:

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    I love Chicken Nuggets!

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hey Brothah. I have a pretty dang big radius I'm willing to ride in... :whistling:
    Certainty of death, no chance for survival? I'm in!

19. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Apparently it doesn’t work for lucky people like me who are hypoglycemic. (Not diabetic).

20. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    SAaaaweeeet! Gotta get me some.

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    :thumbsup: Tom, I'm thinking Saturday 12/1. I'll be hanging around my bro's place up there, so have wiggle room. LMK. Any other o you type Ts want to join, sound off. I'll put up the invite. :)

mtnbikej, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    You're dangerously close to blending in, @Mikie....who'da thought? :) Way to dial the kit; looks great. :thumbsup:

mtnbikej, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Poodle dog only bites if you touch it. Its like Stinging Nettles, gotta make contact. So, if you are up to date on your Kung-fu jukes and moves, you can avoid making contact with it.

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    whoah, Whoah, WHOAH here now!
    None of you are getting any of that unless @Voodoo Tom and I are in. Let's make that clear. We want to host this chunk fiesta! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    We'll let you know the night before! Or the morning of... :whistling:

26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    If you're lucky....

27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Oh like you would have shown for this. Get a big boy bike and then you can come too. :eek:

:D

28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Actually we thought you were going to jump in...

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Hey... Where's that video of @rossage clearing the rock garden on Noble Canyon with the fully rigid... :whistling:
    That trail looks like a rockier Upper Holy Jim...

Edit: Found it...
    One of my favorite videos on the site... And I wasn't even there! :p

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    So did I....:(