RR: Golden Eagle yet.....again!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Feb 13, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    (Place holder, pics and vid to follow later)
    I have GOT.... to be the luckiest guy on this planet...
    Back in 2011 I think is when I joined STR and I met (online) some of the icons of that place. Some of them have since joined imtbtrails when STR had it's crash...

Having risked investing into our own Forum, I firmly believe that Mountain Biking is an awesome social filter. Having the trials and tribulations of the physical and emotional pain of learning to climb on a bicycle, the recovery of crashing said bike, and developing the skills to hang with others, just flat out makes you a better person. Oh sure, we have our differences, our odd nuances, our unique character traits and flaws but for the most part...

Mountain Bikers ROCK!

Got another chance to ride Golden Eagle Trail and I have got to say, that trail never disappoints. It's always fresh when you get to share it with others your really care about and today was no exception!

Voodoo Tom and I were going to do the extended version in effort to start training for Kokopelli, but we opted out since we had guests from afar.

@ridinrox , @herzalot , @Cougar , @scottay , & @Voodoo Tom were on the roster for the day and we all had an AWESOME time!

Meet time was 9:00am at the trailhead, so as I was driving up N2 (Old Ridge Route Road), there was a red vehicle in front of me that slowed down and pulled over, It was Rox (and Cookie)! Awesome! We said our hello's and then proceeded to the trailhead where Voodoo Tom was waiting. Shortly after Scottay pulled up, then Cougar and Herzalot pulled up as well. When I actually saw Cougar and Herz... I felt a tremor in "The Force".

GE.2.13.16.PNG

It was a cruiser as promised...
    A social ride if anything. We rode and talked and my goal was to spend as much time with each person that I could. The original plan was that VT and I were going to do the extended version, but we decided since we had guests from afar we would take a rain-check on that for a later date. After all, G.E can insidiously work you even in it's normal configuration!

We climbed the fire road up to keep it more social and to add a couple miles and jumped on the singletrack at the first crossing. Keeping it a cruiser it gave us the chance to take in all that makes Golden Eagle so very special. Stopping often we would regroup to keep it fun and light. The weather again was perfect with a little breeze from time to time but it was jersey weather for me the whole time.

Out to the end of GE and back we had a great ride...

Starting the 5 Mile Climb...
    GE.Again.1.jpg

Voodoo Tom is a strong climber.
    GE.Again.2.jpg

Chris aka Herzalot. He proved that Pigs CAN fly, and hell CAN freeze over. But more importantly, so thankful he made the long trek to VNOC.... Very North Orange County.
    GE.Again.3.jpg

Cougar and RidinRox.
    GE.Again.4.jpg

Chris, Rox, Craig , and Tom.
    GE.Again.5.jpg

GE.Again.6.jpg

GE.Again.7.jpg

GE.Again.8.jpg

Scottay!
    GE.Again.9.jpg

GE.Again.10.jpg

That million dollar smile.
    GE.Again.11.jpg

GE.Again.12.jpg

GE.Again.13.jpg

Cougar aka Craig.
    GE.Again.14.jpg

GE.Again.15.jpg

GE.Again.16.jpg

GE.Again.17.jpg

GE.Again.18.jpg

GE.Again.19.jpg

GE.Again.20.jpg

GE.Again.21.jpg

GE.Again.22.jpg

GE.Again.23.jpg

GE.Again.24.jpg

GE.Again.25.jpg

GE.Again.26.jpg

GE.Again.27.jpg

GE.Again.28.jpg

GE.Again.29.jpg

Homies for life!
    GE.Again.30.jpg

GE.Again.31.jpg

GE.Again.32.jpg

GE.Again.33.jpg

Had to get a Pic of Voodoo Tom cleaning it for the first time. YES! GE.Again.34.jpg

Chris just plowed right through.
    GE.Again.35.jpg

Scottay is a natural.
    GE.Again.36.jpg

Rox looking unsure...
    GE.Again.37.jpg

GE.Again.38.jpg

Craig and yours truly.
    GE.Again.40.jpg

GE.Again.41.jpg

GE.Again.42.jpg

GE.Again.43.jpg

Herzalot on my wheel for the final descent!
    GE.Again.44.jpg

VT going for a fist bump with the cameraman.
    GE.Again.45.jpg

GE.Again.46.jpg

There it is. That GE finish smile.
    GE.Again.47.jpg

GE.Again.48.jpg

The very cool toast to a very well done ride!
    GE.Again.50.jpg

Cookie!
    GE.Again.51.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Pigs flew. Hell froze over. And I rode Golden Eagle.

What a great day. Got to meet a couple of legends (Scottay and Tom), patch up some wounds with Rox, drive with my new boyfriend Craig :oops: and of course, get to feel the love and positive energy of the man, the myth, the legend - the stokemaster general - Mr. Mikie Watson.

Other than a couple of stout breezes, the weather was absolutely perfect. I love those long fire-road climbs that allow us to chat and enjoy the views. OK, not usually, but this one sucked far less than most - and was actually - kinda--- fun? Then to the trail itself. It didn't take long to enjoy the leftsy, rightsy, upsy, downsy of the GE trail. I was doing a bit of vocalizing following Mikie for a while (such as "wheeee...").

At some point, the vegetation closed in on us. My forearms started getting filleted a bit, and one greedy branch stole my handlebar and my foreward motion. Another tried removing my helmet and standing me up. Those pesky trees and bushes!

I was following Mikie and we heard some yelling from back down the trail - we both immediately thought the same thing - Rox is having fun! She was hooting, hollering and giggling while taunting Cougar and tearing up the trail. Meanwhile Tom was riding strong, but I think I was in his way for like half the ride. He is a patient man and solid rider - up and down.

Snacks at the turnaround point - well, snacks for most, but a beautiful full-on deli sandwich for Rox! Kinda put my Clif bar to shame.

Then - the downhill. I watched Mikie's 9-min video post with Ed following and thought to myself while watching - "he's flying" and "the trail gets kinda skinny with a fair bit of exposure." Nobody would follow Mikie and be in his camera shot, so I jumped in - for about 100 yards. I tore off after him and did my best to stay with the slayer, but I blew a turn and he was gone. I blew another so bad I went into the bushes, had to get off, run up a little hill, get back on and commence riding. I decided to take it quick, but not breakneck quick like Mikie. Oh - and Scottay actually led out before Mikie and was hauling the mail as well - on his hardtail +size bike. Dude is fast - and gracious (he hung back on most of the climbing to make sure we slowpokes were doing OK).

It was a fun descent, with some potential consequences for errors. I had a huge smile on my face when I got to what I thought was the end of the trail. I waited for Rox, Cougar and Tom, then found out there was one little climb and descent left - not much - a couple hundred yards. All good and very fun.

Then, I did something I haven't done in years. Drink a beer at the end of the ride. Then another. And another. Great little tailgate party and I didn't have to worry because I wasn't driving. We laughed and traded stories, compliments, jabs, triumphs and setbacks. It was great. Everything you would want in a day of Mt. Biking with 5 great people - just the right size group, btw.

Then the 3 hour crawl back to Laguna. Oh well - it was worth it for the camaraderie alone. The riding was incidental (but a HOOT!).

Thank you Scott, Tom, Mikie, Rox and Craig for a great day! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

And thanks for driving Cougar - that whole checking your mirrors and reading signs thing seems to really work. I'll have to try it next time I drive.

3. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Still waiting for the pics, come on it's been 54 minutes already! quit screwin' around...

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    PS - The "social pace" that Mikie, Scottay and V-Tom will talk about was their social pace. I was pretty gassed on some of the punchy climbs towards the end of the ride.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I didn't take any. It's all up to the Godfather.

Danmtchl, hill^billy, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Someday I too will ride G.E. Someday...

7. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    My only pic I took of my dirt brothas:
    IMG_20160213_114605007.jpg
    It was a solid ride w solid guys. Herz and I finally buried the hatchet but it didn't stop me from giving him :poop: here and there. :Roflmao

Cougar hanged tough w only having China legs. :laugh: I was surprised I did better than I thought I would but by the time we got to the 8 min descent (the turnaround descent was WAY better) I was toast and my brakes got hot. I slowed considerably by this time, mostly bc the dirt was loose and soft.

I have to mention how proud I am of Herzy for riding something different. I know he's gotten a lot of crap recently. Well done my man. :thumbsup:

I think having a beer w brownies afterwards was almost better than the ride...haha!!...I kid I kid, but it's nice :poop:'en the :poop: after a ride w dear friends.

I'm tired. Three hours to get home but well worth the trip. :inlove:

8. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    OK This is like the third time you call out for an Extended Golden Eagle ride and just do the basic. I'd say it's time to leave this EGE for @bigringrider101. Wouldn't you say? It's bull:poop:

9. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I wake up, test my back out, and think I'm doing okay. Start getting ready to go, and I look and see a text from Herz. Ya carpooling is a good idea, we are only ~15min from one another. (Coming home to see @mtnbikej 's picture in response to me posting that I'm outside of Herz's place and we are coming was classic)

We leave his place pretty much right at 7am, and the drive up is uneventful. 2 hours pretty much on the dot.

We were the last ones to arrive, but it didn't look like the others had been waiting too long as there was prep still happening. Away we went.

I hung with Mikie for a bit on the flat/down fireroad warm up section, but my China Legs were in full force today. (China Legs = I was off my bike for a month due to my China trip and work, haven't gotten back to full form yet) I stopped to take one picture on the fireroad climb up, and really wanted to take more (the vistas were amazing) but I didn't want to hold up progression for picture taking :) hehe.

Once we got the top of the fireroad climb, we were treated to the rollers at the top. This is something I wish there were more of down here in OC; it would be a great source for sustained/natural interval training. We really only have ups or downs. What few undulations we have are short in length. I really enjoyed these rollers, outside of the overgrown brush and my China Legs :p. (Props to @scottay for hanging back and making sure that the sweeper was okay)

I think the rollers were a bit more enjoyable towards the turn around point then the return direction, but it was all fun. Except my back; whenever we would break, I couldn't really stand up straight and would either find something to sit on, or just hunch over my bike. At least it wasn't bothering me too much while riding. So it felt good enough to get me out there, and didn't hurt bad enough to make the ride not enjoyable, so I guess it worked out in the end.

Then we got to the downhill section; I chased Rox down, and I can now (and forever!) say that Rox didn't drop me on a decent. All of those pesky facts like it was our first time, her brakes got hot, loose something or other, there were other descents she did drop me on, all of that we don't need to mention. :cool: That DH section was fun; it was loose and there was some sections of sketchy exposure, but I can absolutely see how you can bomb down that with practice and familiarity. It was nice having Rox trailblaze for me, as it certainly helped raise my confidence level on the trail.

We left GE at 2pm, and I got home at 6pm after dropping Herz off and that horrible horrible traffic. But hey, dinner was on the table shortly after I got home. So I had that going for me, which was nice.

Thanks for the GE tour gentlemen! It was good to meet Scott and Tom, and great to ride with Rox for the first time. (Who, attentive readers will recall, didn't drop me on a decent :p)

Also, Herz took his pants off again... and what's worse was Mikie was filming it... :gag:

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Well, being the GRACIOUS host that I am, I thought it better to hang with guests that drove so far, as oppose to be rude and leave them. With GE only 20 minutes away, and not much more for Voodoo Tom, we can easily hit it another day.

I wouldn't trade today for nothing!

Danmtchl, Voodoo Tom, scottay and 9 others like this.
  11. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Great post Robin - even if it IS in the Golden Eagle thread! You guys rock (and evidently de-rock)! :thumbsup:

Hey - where did it go??? :confused:

13. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    I am so sorry Im trying to erase. . I ment to put it in I rode our bike today. .thank you! Happy Valentines day ♡

Danmtchl, LLPoolJ, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I really enjoyed reading everyone's take on the GE outing, and it sounds like a really fun time. :thumbsup:

But... What stuck out for me most was that poor Mikie and Voodoo Tom did not get their extended version, which means I have another shot! :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

Next Sunday, maybe... ?

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ok... I admit it. I re-read the entire thread. It was that good. It sounds like there was really awesome chemistry out there... (Insert sniffling weepy-eyed yellow emoticon dude)

But, where the heck are the pictures? Come on. We now live in the era of instant gratification. :whistling:

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  16. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Mikie had the GoPro going, and we all pretty much kept our phones in our pocket. Mikie just signed himself up for a lot of work to video edit :)

Danmtchl, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  17. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Where's Mikie and my pictures?
    littlegirlwaits1.jpg

18. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Laughing hysterically!!!!

You wanna see Herz's pants down, don't you?? :Roflmao

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Hey wait a minute - all of us had our pants off at some point. Nobody drove home in his/her stinky riding shorts. :gag: I just happen to be the one doing it for the camera (unbeknownst to me) Luckily for all y'all, I used the surfer method.

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Sheesh! I got a wedding to go to today....
    Bump!
    Like magic... Pics are now above....:thumbsup:
    Enjoy!

21. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Super awesome pics! really looks worth the long drive. someday.....

22. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Sunday? NOW you're hablando my language :thumbsup:

23. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Man! Wish I could have made this ride! Had some high-maintenance Mom issues the last few weeks so I haven't been riding much at all. Looks like you all had a great ride! Thanks for another great RR Mikie! I've got next Sat. off from Mom duty so I think I'll hit AT for another ride/work day. Watch the Trailhead page!

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Keep me posted @Maddog , you would have loved this ride brothah!

GEEZ! I have 1 Hour and 9 Minutes of Video and i don't want to cut a single minute. Good stuff!

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I can think of about 2 minutes you can cut... :oops:

26. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I love reading these reviews. Wish I coulda joined ya. Would have loved to see the pigs fly!

Danmtchl, ridinrox, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  27. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Sorry for the massively delayed chime in. After yesterday's ride I went straight to the inlaws house to help them with a few things and that turned in to a weekend long howdoyoudo but I will say the tailgate party helped prep me for this. I really don"t have a lot to add to this but I want to thank the attendees individually.

@Cougar had I have known that a little birthday razzing was all that was needed to get you up here on a ride with us I certainly would have done it sooner. You were definitely a trooper with your China legs and your hurting back. Thanks for bringing Herz along and allowing us to use your tailgate for our little post ride party.

@ridinrox what can I say other than chicka you are the real deal, you haul ass and you are cool as hell. I think if you were familiar with that trail I would have some serious trouble keeping up with you. I loved hearing your hooting & hollering and really enjoyed your sense of humor. Cookie is one cool dog and your brownies were a big hit on our tailgate.

@scottay it was great to finally meet & ride & chat with you. I think our schedules made it so that we had never crossed paths but I hope to ride with you more and really dug your bike (and you hauled balls on that thing). I'd love to go do some exploring on our local turf with you even if I have to play hookie from work to do it.

@herzalot dude you are a fun guy and your sense of humor is real. You poke major fun at yourself for your supposed hatred of climbing but you can hold your own just fine (except for when you had to had to grab on to my camel bak and have me tow you up the fire road.) I agree that the group size was perfect. I guess it's now time for me to venture south and see how you beach boys do it.

@Mikie who cares if we didn't do our extended sufferfest(the normal GE loop can hurt you just fine). We've got time and we will be ready to go kick some Kokopelli arse. I got to meet four new friends and you pal are the reason I get to ride all these awesome trails and meet such great people. Imtbtrails is a great place because of you Mikie Watson. I should really take more pictures so that I could contribute more to these great ride reports.

Mother Nature thank you for you're magnificence. Golden Eagle trail is an absolute gem that I will just never get tired of riding and admiring. Some may think the trail is a bit overgrown but I think it is just perfect and I can't wait till springtime to see her in all her glory.

28. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Now THAT was a speech well worth the wait - give that man his Oscar!! :inlove:

29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    This pic kept staring at me from the picture slot machine.
    First... it’s a pic of @Cougar who I miss terribly! Second... it’s Golden Eagle and I’m getting trail sick! C’mon Spring!!!:bang:
    upload_2019-3-11_21-20-0.jpeg

30. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner

Want to donate to imtbtrails?