RR: Golden Eagle Extended.... yeah, it happened.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Yes. I am a walking zombie.
    After a very hot and lengthy shower when I got home I am the rubber band man. But, I did it. I got the GE Extended done today.

Well, not alone mind you. Some folks you may recognize:
    @Voodoo Tom, @mtnbikej , @Faust29 , @bigringrider101 , @Runs with Scissors , @Luis , @erjzacher , and a friend of "J's" named Jeremy.

Then on top of that... we had two ladies join us that drove up on their own to ride Golden Eagle from Santa Clarita, but didn't really know the trail. Vicky and Debbie. These ladies kicked azz. Vicky kicked my azz on the climbs ALL. DAY. LONG!
    Even on the Wall of Death!:eek:

An 8:30 meet time we were on the trail probably around 8:45 and took the usual route up the fire road to get more miles in. Everybody behaved pretty much... as I warned everyone I needed to get the miles in long and slow in prep for Kokopelli.

How evah... Ahhh hem...
    As you will note... I moved up one place to 4th overall on the Golden Eagle DH Lower. That was thanks to mtnbikej pushing my azz down the trail!:sneaky:

GoldenEagle.2.21.16.PNG

We went to the end of Golden Eagle and hit the fire road further East (thus, the extended version), then picked up some very sweet SOT out to the junction where you make a right and head out to Burnt Peak. I'm really glad Berni talked me out of the extra, extra credit as I was more burnt than Burn Peak!
    Grabbed a quick bite then turned around and started back the way we came.

Then, we came to it... ...The WALL OF DEATH!
    It's not that it is SO foreboding. It is a tough climb on it's own. It's just that it hits you after around 23 miles into the ride when you are not feeling as "saucy".
    Some cleaned it (I cleaned it, heh heh...), some hiked some of it. I was behind @Faust29 riding his blasphemous single speed and he got off and walked a section and I couldn't even catch him riding my bike!... You get the picture.

Once the trauma of that was over and my legs were what I thought...totally cooked. We had the fire road back to Golden Eagle, and the GE Trail to do. It has these rollers in it that makes you feel like it's up hill both ways but once past that it begins to descend. then of course the is the final descent back to the vehicles.

I went first with "J" on my heels. I could never really shake him he was always at most 5 to 10 bike lengths behind me. Now theoretically I should have been able to kick his azz. He's on a single speed. I have 30 gears! I should have been able to pedal sprint away, but NOOOOoooo! Jason has to ride me to the finish, which was good! Cuzz it shaved off 8 seconds of my best time back in 2015! Beetchin'!

As we all rolled into the trailhead, everybody had pretty good smiles so the famous GE Final Descent worked it's magic on everyone...

Berni made some ROCKIN' Salsa and so we had some chips and Salsa as we sucked down a couple of cold ones. Even the ladies joined in.

Now I only took a couple of pics as i wanted to focus on my ride for once. So the DEAL is that I am writing the Ride Report and @Faust29 is going to post the pics....
    So I took a pic of us at the end of the ride (post it in a sec.) And, the ladies Vicky and Debbie as they rolled into the Trailhead...

The Boyz! Left to Right... Jeremy, Faust29, Voodoo Tom, erjzacher, bigringrider101, mtnbikej, and the mighty Luis! Great day in the saddle!
    IMAG00615.jpg

Vicky! She literally kicked my azz on ALL the climbs. WOW!
    IMAG00618.jpg

Debbie! Great climber as well. They had an excellent time. Glad they chose to ride with us...

IMAG00621.jpg

Legs are humming but as @hill^billy would say... "I needed to kick my own azz!"
    Well, it's kicked!

Thanks for making the long haul out to GE everybody!

Mikie
    Bike On!

Note: Would like to hear everyone's perspective on the Wall of DEATH! Ha hah!

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Mikie, thanks for having me along. Great, great ride. Absotively, posilutely gorgeous singletrack.

Golden Eagle singletrack is worth it. Completely, totally, and unequivocally. Loved it.

My take on the WOD is...never again. It's totally pointless, unrideable, etc. I rode up some of it, walked most of it. I stood up and mashed, spun the rear wheel which forced me forward over the bars, which put more pressure on the front wheel, which promptly and totally expectedly dug in and twisted in that soft crap. I fell over.

I walked the rest of it.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Mark! So glad you made it out! Thanks bud, it was really awesome to meet you ....FINALLY!

4. erjzacher

erjzacher Active Member

Name:
    Eric Zacher
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer DVO
    Yeah I'm with @Runs with Scissors, the WOD sucked and I walked most of it. Every other part of the ride was awesome though and I guess it made it worth it. I'll need to be in better shape before I attempt that again.
    It was an all around great ride (except for the WOD) with an awesome group of guys.

5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Maybe I was just jacked from all the awesome singletrack and awesome people today brought out but I thought the wall of death was going to be worse. Don't get me wrong it sucked (and I hate you Mikie Watson and probably wont ride with you again till at least next weekend anyways). I was able to pedal most of it but did hop off and hike a couple spots. Had I cruised the rest of the day and saved some I probably could have cleaned it. Sure I got passed by a girl at the top but she was wicked tough and I think kicked all our arses today.

Shout out to all those made made the major drive today (most of which are probably only halfway home right now and were riding single speeds:eek:). Great to meet you Mark and I guess now I need to venture south for some Flooping fun or whatever else you guys can hurt me with. @mtnbikej get your cool buddy Jeremy to join so we can break the 800 mark would ya... @Faust29 whats taking so long with the darn ride report???

6. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    This isn't exactly Golden Eagle specific... Every ride starts with a few of these! And they are best served in the Hog's Breath shot glass. At 4:30, I needed 4 instead of the normal 3... :thumbsup:

IMG_0200.jpg

Mikie and Scissors making their introductions:
    IMG_0201.jpg

We didn't roll at 8:30, because the one guy was a little late to the party. You can see him getting ready in the background. He was forgiven after the ride, because he brought some really good homemade salsa! He was forgiven, even though he and mtnbikej tried to kill me on the last section of single track before we turned around. I almost cried "mercy". :whistling:

IMG_0204.jpg

Mikie!
    IMG_0207.jpg

Some guys like to pose.
    IMG_0210.jpg

I'm still enjoying the single speed, even though the wall of death kicked my behind.
    IMG_0214.jpg

Leaving the normal turnaround point- headed to the wall of death plunge.

IMG_0215.jpg

Just wow.

IMG_0218.jpg

Mikie said there was no water out here. The pipe was full and it looked pretty clean to me...
    IMG_0219.jpg

Wow. Their trees are considerably bigger than the trees in south OC.
    IMG_0224.jpg

Mikie kept doing circles at the regroup before the wall of death climb. He had to, because he wacked his juevos. But, he's still smiling.

IMG_0228.jpg

One section of the wall of death. I was walking when Jason passed. It wasn't so much that he was still pedaling, as I expected him to clear it... The crazy part was that he was sitting and pedaling.
    IMG_0231.jpg

Yeah... I stopped on a downhill. I couldn't resist. It gave me a decent shot of Berni and Luis flying by!
    IMG_0234.jpg

Pyramid Lake in the distance...
    IMG_0239.jpg

All in all, it was a great day... Even the Wall of Death wasn't too bad. Once I figured out that I was going the same speed on foot, I didn't feel so bad about walking parts! I'm not at the level that I could clear that on the single speed yet. And, I may never be!

I know that most people like riding in smaller groups than we had today, but I think it was perfect. Some were slower, and some were faster, but I think everyone had fun, and the social regroups were a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

IMG_0200.jpg

7. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    The vibe today was outstanding. Everyone was way cool..don't know how else to say it. We all brought different expectations, but we all had a blast. (at least, I did). I can't say enough good things about the ride today. WOD and all.:whistling:

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Once wasn't enough.....had to ride with @Mikie again. After our last attempt, knew it would happen today.

Bit smaller group this time around....at least originally. However Mikie swooned the ladies and soon they joined us.

Good to see @Voodoo Tom, @Luis, @bigringrider101,@Runs with Scissors again. Nice to meet @erjzacher and the ladies. Brought my buddy Jeremy along this time.

Made good time this morning to the sticks were this ride would start from. We go there first, followed shortly by Mikie. A bit chilly while we were gearing up.

Soon we were off. Now, I promised earlier this week that I was going to behave myself today.....what does that mean? It means that I would not go out front and push the pace....for the most part, I kept my promise. I sat back and followed for most of the ride. Casual cruise up the fireroad to start off the ride. As normally happens the group kinda blows up a bit on the long climb, but it was all good.

Finally we reached the 1st ST section. Mikie jumped out front and I hopped on his back wheel. Now last time we rode, he kept calling for some guy named "Ralph". Well today he was feeling much better, so he was quite a bit quicker. Fun times through the singletrack sections. Pushed on the DH's and just cruised on the flats/climbs. Before we knew it we were climbing to the top of WOD on the way out....all that went by way quicker this time. We dropped down the WOD, seemed more rutted this time, but still fast and fun.

Onto the singletrack was more socailizing. We then decided to continue on instead of heading up to Sawmill Camp. Bernie was out front pulling the pace...so I held on and followed. From the sounds of it, @Faust29 was on the verge of implosion....he sucked it up and kept going. Short break at the turn around and again we were off. Mikie pushing the pace out from, me holding on to his back tire. All was good til we dropped into a very narrow and overgrown section at Mach 1. I got bounced by the bush stump and tossed into the brush. Now all I did was step off the bike, but it held up traffic for everyone else. :stop: All was good again.

Finally back at the bottom of WOD.....had a better idea of what was before us. Now after yesterday's big elevation day, I was starting to feel my legs about this time. Everyone else had already began heading up. Jeremy, I and the girls were in the back. Put my head down and just pedaled. I was much slower today than the last time. 1 by 1 I started picking off the riders ahead of me. Finally caught up and past Faust while he was taking a break. Short way ahead of him was Bernie....didn't think I would catch him, but eventually got by him. About this time I started thinking I could so put my feet down in the dirt and take a break....Negative Ghost Rider....couldn't allow it. Pushed on a little more and walla....we reached the top. Quick regroup and we continued on. Forget about a couple of the climbs heading back to the singletrack sections. This was one point I took pole postion and headed out first. Fast and fun and still some rolling climbs. Think everyone was feeling.....or not feeling their legs about this time. Before too long we finally got to the top of the final plunge.

While waiting for the regroup....we were welcomed...if you could call it that by the guy that was beyond proud of trailwork he was doing out there...he wasn't happy enough with the thanks and acknowledgements he was given....very weird exchange. Whatever. :confused::confused::confused:

So onto the final plunge. This time I had an idea of what was ahead. Mikie took the Pole Position this time. Wanted to give him a run down on his home trail. He was quick. Kept him close for most of the down. He got a little squirrely a few times....maybe the pressure was getting to him. :whistling: He started to pull away a little towards the bottom on some of the turns, but I was able to reel him back in on the straights. Then it was over.....back at the cars.

The ride today didn't disappoint....the group was super fun. The dirt was really nice.

Best of all, I dropped 1:10 off my plunge time......good enough for 5th. Only 3 seconds off Mr. Watson's time. :thumbsup:

The salsa at the end hit the spot...thanks Bernie.

Good times everyone, thanks for entertaining us again. Great day on the bike.

9. Vickyb

Vickyb Member

Name:
    Vicky
    Current Bike:
    Specialized sworks fate
    Thanks for an epic ride today boys! I'll take on the wall of death anyday ;)

image.png

10. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Nice Ride/Report Folks!!

J keep me in mind I was watching you plan this but had to stay local. Been putting in some longer rides (relative) so I think I would enjoy. Put in about 4K feet of climbing Saturday but managed to "Pile Drive" myself on a 6ft+ roller I misjudged... Lucky no breaks..but sore.

Good to know folks are getting back together for great rides. I will keep my eye out as well.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Steve, you woulda dug it. Heal up.

12. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Yup! It happened the GE extended I was there just to make sure.

image.png

image.jpeg

Danimal, herzalot, Cornholio and 16 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Nice picture and welcome, Vickyb! I was hoping to get a "long line shot" like that, but missed it! That is very cool...

Great riding with you yesterday...

Steve- (single speed Salsa)

14. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C

Welcome bvader! We met once a few years ago... It was my first time out to Old Camp and you let me tag along from the Luge flag. I was on a GT FS 29er at the time...

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  15. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Nice to see you joined IMTB Steve @bvader . Hope to ride w you soon.

Maybe a ride w J, Jeremy and D. Paul would be awesome...like old times. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    And now that the euphoria is starting to wear off a little... This was a great ride. Good guys & gals out exploring in some pretty nice country. :thumbsup:

And I don't even have to clean the bike. You guys must have some magic dirt up there, because my bike is as clean as when I loaded it into the car yesterday. Even the chain, chainring, and rear cog. How do you do that? I can't go 2 miles from the house here without having to clean the drive train when I'm done.

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Yes, we have magic dirt...
    Thank "Mike" the mysterious exceptionally disgruntled Trail Worker we met up there. Apparently he is the Golden Eagle Trail savior. What was THAT all about? Ha hah!
    Actually I thought he kinda over sanitized the brush. It just don't feel natural not leaving a little blood on that trail...

I'm still glowing from a great ride yesterday, with amazing people! What a great time!

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

I left a little.....the scratch on my cheek proves it.

19. bigringrider101

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    I didn't have the time nor the energy to write anything about the ride yesterday.

Only a couple of things I'd like to mention before the euphoria is totally gone.
    First
    Sorry for showing up late to the ride but at least I din't show up with my bowl of oatmeal in hand like somebody we all know.
    Thanks Luis for that mighty tasty beer you gave me, Sculpin Habanero.
    Thanks to @mtnbikej and @Faust29 for making me push harder on a few sectionS I got some PRs for that. Extra kudos to both of you for pulling it thru on a SS.
    Then @Voodoo Tom most of the day he was just following the crowd kind od quiet but secretly saving it for the WOD. Time came and he just attacked it. I though I was gonna reel him back towards the top, NO WAY. At the end I was just happy to stay on the pedals and not walk it.
    This are the standings on The Wall of Death for the day. We all move down a number cuz Vicky is # 1 or 2.

image.png
    I thik @Runs with Scissors has to go back and redeem himself.
    How I feel about WOD... I'm not the fastest I'll never be but I'll ride it again and again until I can climb it like @Vickyb.

20. Vickyb

Vickyb Member

Name:
    Vicky
    Current Bike:
    Specialized sworks fate
    I'm not on Strava anymore. To stressful for me =/ You guys gave off good energy! Pushed me....

21. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Way to crush it, peeplez!!!!!!!! Thanks for the reportage and pics :thumbsup:

22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    @bigringrider101 I'll happily accept perpetual last place on the WOD. Lots of great views while plodding up. :thumbsup::laugh:

23. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    Awesome ride report(s).. Since I haven't been able to ride the past few days I've been living vicariously through this site and GE is now on my must do list. I even had to watch a few videos of it online, looks like a blast!

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    There were views???? I guess I missed that while I had my head down turning the pedals over.

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Thought I'd post this up, for the Plunge Segment:

Screenshot (212).png

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Also wanted to add a couple of the "quotes of the day".

1. Luis at the farthest point out...."where's the car? Screw it, I'm calling Uber".

2a. Mikie on the first ST section just cruising up, "it's too pretty up here to ride fast".
    2b. Bernie responds: "I'd like to hear you say that on the way back down."

3. Debbie reaches the top of WOD and looked like she was ready to tear Mikie apart, if looks could kill.
    His response, " Didn't us calling it the Wall of Death tell you it wasn't going to be easy".

Classics, all around. :thumbsup: :D

27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I'm on that list too...number 215. Not last. :whistling::cool:

28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Yep, GE is magic dirt. Made me smile lots. I ran into Trail Worker Extraordinaire also, on the last section from the crossing the road down to the vehicles. He confirmed I was on the right piece of singletrack to get there. He did seem to want lots of confirmation about how great he was.

Plenty of brush though. I left more DNA than I thought on that trail. When I got in the shower the hot water showed me where every scratch on my legs was.

29. bigringrider101

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Mr KOM did not have an answer to that. Did he?

30. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    YAY!!!!! Let's keep her! :inlove:

I believe I am the only other one on this site who doesn't juice (with STRAVA). I'm also the slowest. Coincidence? I think so...