RR: Fist Full of Colorado

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by schillingsworth, Aug 18, 2018.

1. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I had a couple of friends doing the Breck Epic stage race and I was offered a place to stay if I wanted to head to Colorado. Let me see, it's early August in Phoenix...nah, I think I'll stay home and tool around the desert trails in 113º. Right. I'm no moron, so I cut out of work a little early on Thursday, covered a few stray hours on Friday with vacation time & swapped my Monday for the following Friday. See ya!!!

The plan was simple by my roadtrip standards. Drive to Durango, sleep in my car then head to Crested Butte for a day of riding with my local buds there. Spend the night in CB, leave bright and early the next day for Breckenridge & ride. The next day, track down the elusive Scampers for a tour around Winter Park, then head back to Breck. On Monday leave early for the long drive back to the desert, but wait, there's still some killer rides to do: Monarch Crest OnB and would you look at that, I'm on schedule. So, why not stop in Telluride too. Made it home before midnight. Yep, lotta driving, but worth every mile.

I broke this trip down into 5 separate blog posts:
    Crested Butte
    Breckenridge
    Winter Park
    Monarch Crest
    Telluride

L1PajL8T0QDa4bamhnbGSilbD7ujmKf2tBAJrs-QsjDf9J_V6cGVL1fyBIvAiL_5TqXs7k7SpY1W95HXrw=w1695-h953-no.jpg
    Beth Shaner helping with the touring duties.
    NTy9rBu4QxzZY3E_4_C2eYkW6c93RemQvoulOWoo1MvmNs3JR_6orW51WUqjE3PRKWADf1xrpL1nwDOGu1g=w537-h953-no.jpg
    Neil Beltchenko slowing down from his standard blazin' race pace.

q3gOyvmlBB6dvKaD1m9qXgKYY-upmrYm-tUUh83aDySYdamZhNpok4VomoNGF0MjC7XD3Y77suayi6IoAQ=w1695-h953-no.jpg
    So-called taper ride before the Breck Epic, Nancy ended up 2nd in her class.

zV58IZ11IPERDhXoHFQLg5HOfB-2AGZMxsfTQAQfHPF5o0HQus-k0tE6Hs2rW1-l_9Fm9NWsRB4I3SObOQ=w1695-h953-no.jpg
    No thumbs were harmed during this ride!!

xH26hQ_957-EwkMkGpmVbUgrJmMSLSTsL3i7AbWiELm2N0Q-AMgqAkEH5qe3bireKQzHxI1BHKScVxJr2g=w1695-h953-no.jpg
    Early morning rays cast upon the Collegiate Peaks.

23IVjnlWzEbG_23CaMsHTey7jh8keKzxqmefKgo-V4Jzgj3LL2ECph_z-GJQaEhd83gZFiK5DS4JxTTBpQ=w1695-h953-no.jpg
    The famed high alpine of the Monarch Crest.

vZFq5jLpIeLbUpbJJqNmn1oIPk-ask6u3GYIkSMPtw8VsZUFsh_Kq83WhOMXge-TjwwsVOWBheOJMzQrraQ=w763-h953-no.jpg
    Took a moment here to reflect on last year's Colorado Trail Race. This is where everything turned around.

g6mfTjYPcAFaayfTYvxRmFauERw8jSAvcTXzyFfFtLuN1s7Sb3EwE-qabY4lAxcEby8P3a9_37t3V_xHeg=w1695-h953-no.jpg
    First time I've been in Telluride without skis. Still amazing.

JYHKcGnfoQcdJKM2i5JNGYIGZpTwWoq3y721lEGdwWTwaQHIBNiwWEhkRsD8gfkpp_ndUpSsSA6Lr9LlAA=w1695-h953-no.jpg
    Iconic downtown Telluride with Ajax Mtn. looming.

3HDza48qFWE0bH9x1RyzZmpyAfAmsLGV94FxdbOijN3AvztEz5dewbGynNAZ2KiiFsXnqTy3DiLRWs-xzA=w1887-h953-no.jpg
    One from the road. Trout Lake. Aren't the San Juan's incredible??

Ride on....

levity, Danimal, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  2. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Looks like pristine riding! Great photos:thumbsup:

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    TFPU, John! Way to maximize your days off and pluck a bunch of plums. All-time riding and scenery. Ride on, indeed :thumbsup:

schillingsworth, Mikie and mtbMike like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Beautiful. Makes me homesick for my Colorado days, for sure. :thumbsup:

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I always look forward to when you post. Both the words and the pics are Purdy!

schillingsworth, mike and herzalot like this.
  7. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Nice pics! Kinda wimpy mileage though :p

Mikie, schillingsworth and mike like this.
  8. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Nice photos, looks like you timed it well with fires. Reminds me I still need to go through my Crested Butte June photos.

9. levity

levity Member

Name:
    gone
    Stunning photos!!! THANKS!

Got me packing the van right now!

10. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I've been exposed!!! Fear not, Evan, the big days in the saddle are about to rev up... There's a little ride I'm prepping for next year...

Mikie likes this.