RR: Chill-A-O New Years Day 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Geez!
    The MUCH anticipated 2019 New Years Day Chilao ride report.
    In all honesty, has little to report.

I ended up at an unplanned new Years Eve Party. Very low key. Was supposed to be just a get together at the end of the year that happen to land on New Years Eve. So when 12:15am rolled around and I was still an hour from home with nothing ready for the next day I was a little stressed.

Picked up @Voodoo Tom at his place in Castaic and rolled over to Newcomb's Ranch on Highway 2.

upload_2019-1-3_10-42-12.png

When we pulled up at Newcombs Ranch,@rossage was rolling around the parking lot (on his bike), Alex F. was getting ready, @Luis was no where in site.

It was frikkin cold, 27 degrees at times. High winds, with some dust. The open pass areas were a little brutal.

I pulled everything out of the closet I had to layer up for this. A long sleeve wicking undergarment under a wool long sleeve shirt, under my jersey, under my trash bag looking Peral Izumi roadie jacket. My usual skull cap with an old DooWrap for winter pulled down over my ears. I actually wore underwear for a base layer then some Pearl Izumi Lycra, Baggies from Costco, leggings and two pairs of socks, one of which was De Feet Wool. Two pairs of gloves, some long fingered summer gloves under a pair of Head gloves I got a Costco.

We waited until about 9:40 for Luis and then took off. Maybe half way up Angeles Crest to Sulfur Springs Road Luis goes flying by honking his horn. He was 98% ready by the time we got there and Ross led us out on upper Silver Moccasin. During the drop Luis got a stick caught between his frame and his rear hose and drug his brake line out towards the bottom. Had never seen THAT one before.

We climbed up to Hillyer and I went first up The Wall nearly cleaning it. Rear wheel slipped losing traction up at the top and I lost my balance and had to dab. Ross however was victorious!

The first run down was controlled, I think mostly cuz we were just flat out cold. I was happy to clean everything, but played it conservative.

Ross led down Silver Moccasin and Alex F. followed him, with me following Alex F., then Luis and then Tom. It was a pretty clean run for me on that as well. Just two dabs in some pretty techy stuff for me.

At the bottom, Ross had placed his van on the climb route up the fire road. In it he had some hot coffee and a fatty! :rolleyes:o_O

When Tom rolled up, I could tell he was cold. I was cold. There were times when i new I was probably pulling my brake levers but was not sure how much. I could at times not feel my fingers. It was then I pulled the plug for me. No bad weather, just bad gear.
    Tom jumped in on that as well, then Luis, then Ross probably because the majority were calling it.

So we got the first leg of the Annual Chilao ride in, better then none, and we can say we did it. I don't want to invest a fortune into cold riding weather that I probably will not do that often, but I am going to advance some better gear my way!

Who knows... so I posted it...
    DSCF2681.jpg

The Gang is all together now at the upper parking lot... DSCF2683.jpg

Luis fixing his bizarre stick between frame and brake line incident...
    DSCF2685.jpg

DSCF2686.jpg

Getting ready to head up Hillyer.
    DSCF2687.jpg

Rossage...
    DSCF2688.jpg DSCF2689.jpg DSCF2690.jpg

Luis...
    DSCF2691.jpg

Voodoo Tom...
    DSCF2692.jpg

Alex F.
    DSCF2693.jpg

Voodoo Tom sharing how i think he feels about the weather (and possibly me for going through with this today)...DSCF2695.jpg

Drove up to the Pass on the way up to Mt. Wilson to show Voodoo Tom the connector we rode the week before.DSCF2696.jpg DSCF2698.jpg

2. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Um ..., thanks for the details Mikie. Not sure why we needed to know.
    Nice report. One to file under the adventure list.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    A Canadian without proper Winter riding attire? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the RR. Short and sweet and incomplete but that's alreet.

4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Well I was “trying” to share my every extent to stay warm.
    I know you want the truth, but...
    41C3D31B-15A8-4AEF-9858-36C697E04AAB.jpeg

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    There is just no making you happy on this one... huh?
    :(

6. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    DUDE, you know me bettahhh than that. I was just fun’n.

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    So yeah, it was very cold. I saw a high of 31°F and with the temp hovering around 27°F, with 30mph winds, that puts us into the teens with windchill.
    I got up to Chilao early, suited up in the warmth of the van and went for a quick warmup ride before heading over to Newcombs. I immediately went back and redid my base layer by adding seldom-used fleece bib knickers under my shorts.
    Extra warmth for the core.
    Wore the Refuge jacket all day, only opening the vent zips on the longest climbs. My insulated shoes and gloves kept me pretty cozy out there. My fleece skullcap stayed on.
    But I knew others were suffering.
    I have seen skid row bums with better gloves than @Mikie. And even those guys will wrap their feet in plastic or tape over the holes in their shoes on really cold days. When I saw the garbage bag style outer layer, I knew the day would be short.
    @Voodoo Tom had some decent gloves and footwear, @Luis never complained and @alexfore went old school with the flannel.
    The silver Moc from 3 Pts is in great shape, in fact, we only saw one big tree down on the switchbacked section.
    I made* it up the Wall, easily, due to a timely tailwind, hence the asterisk.. Not like I was on EPO! Rolled the spine in a sidewind.
    Luis' mechanical and some frozen feet and fingers combined with a hot cup of coffee and a New years fatty to put a knife in our ambitions of suffering much longer.
    The van heater felt good on the way home...

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Full value!!! TFPU, guys. Nice ride :thumbsup: Some fun prose and pix in there, too.

Ross, nice clinic on effective layering. Sending it! :thumbsup::)

9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    As am I, you... :whistling:;)

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hmmm...
    I had on brand new Troy Lee summer gloves and a pair of brand new Head winter gloves. There were no Hobos harmed in the making of this ride report...:rolleyes:
    But that’s not a bad idea covering the vents on the Zapatos!

herzalot, mike, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  11. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    This is getting better all the time. Mikie in his underwear and Ross in his knickers. Something about a strategically parked van?

12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Wait, it says “Chill-A” in the title!!!

Chunky, spicy, hot, medium, mild, con carne, or what? :inlove:

13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    :stop:
    ^^
    The closes we currently have to a face palm emoji...

14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I can't believe I missed this! :rolleyes:
    Actually it was bad enough in Simi Valley. At least you made an attempt.

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  15. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I have to agree with Ed on this. I didn’t even attempt a ride. Good for you guys.

mike, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Just busting yer ballz...

Neither glove was up to the task, alone or together. The way you had to pull them on compresses the air spaces needed for warmth and the double thickness reduces blood flow and feel. Right?
    Too many, too tight layers can actually make things worse.
    When it's that cold you really need a glove with insulation. I wore my glove shells, without the liner and had no problems.
    Same with the shoes. Insulated and used with thin wool socks, kept my toes relatively toasty.
    I started taping my shoes when I was a messenger. Next step was using shopping bags, taped over wool socks on rainy days. Then it was an endless stream of cigarettes and magazines ... I digress, an endless stream of shoe covers and gore tex socks.
    IMO, nothing works better than a dedicated foul weather shoe. I do use hiking boots at times but that is for off the bike action too.

Went back out in the Gabes today. Still cold, not as windy. Might be some snow out there this weekend

Get some!

17. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I’m supposed to go back up there on Sunday with OTB, don’t think it will happen if there’s snow...

mike, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    mike, Old&InTheWay, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  19. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Yep when you cannot feel the fingers and toes its a tough ride. Glad you all are safe. Maybe next year.

mike, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Yes. Tonight I am concerned about conditions at the BBQ. I am making sure that I return frequently to the house for another Spaten Oktoberfest beer... to avoid the risk of hypothermia.

mike, Mikie, Luis and 1 other person like this.
  21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Shifting gears slightly after the joke about the BBQ...

This weekend I was going to do a simple cardio out and back on Harding. Sunday morning, dawnish. I know, not sexy, but my doc tells me I have to stay fit :) I was not feeling the ride, and packed two different jackets just in case it was colder than anticipated. Got to the trailhead and it was 35. Hmmmmm. I never wear leggings; I have never had a situation where I felt I needed full legs as long as I was climbing / burning cals. But 35 means heavy jacket and full finger gloves. Cranked out the ride, feeling blue, feeling the cold, feeling @herzalot lying in his warm bed dreaming of single track downhills... and when I got back to the car realized I had no feeling in my fingers or toes.

I freak out a lot about riding alone in the CNF. I remember only too well the dude who died in 2014 when he went out on his birthday ride in bad weather... and didn't come home.

Have fun but stay safe.

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I’m knowing you are nailing it. I learned a lot from you and this experience.
    The big and most beneficial learn was you telling me to slow down and ride at a pace where I didn’t sweat. Once I processed that it made total sense. It was a completely different type of ride at those temps. Great experience!

23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Yes I was flipping @Mikie off for multiple reasons but the main reason is I was f'ing cold. I ride in the cold quite a bit but this was next level with the wind. I've got my cold weather sh!t together for hour long rides in the low 30's but apparently mid 20's with windchill factor I'm not totally prepared for. I looked up the weather and knew it was supposed to suck and tried to dress accordingly. Everything with windstopper material on it worked like a charm.

I had 4 problems...

Cold big toes...I double layered the wool socks and stuffed em real tightly in to my shoes which turned out to be a bad idea. Should've taped up the vents and went single layer.

Sweaty body that turned frozen...I bought a new Fox jacket with a nice vented back the day before and damn if I didn't leave it home. This meant I had to wear my Alpinestars descender jacket which has proven many times to be quite swampy since it doesn't breath and I was flat out sweat soaked first and then froze because of it.

Cold head... My Bell helmet is tapped out on adjustment. I'm wearing a medium when I should be in a large. This means I can't fit a layer of substantial insulation in between like a balaclava

Problem #1 though was a misunderstanding on the home front that took my head out of the game. Wifey knew there was New Years ride in the works but since I never chimed in and confirmed she assumed I was staying home, totally my fault and I should've read the clues and bowed out in days prior. She really supports all my MTB shenanigans but she also reminded me that I don't get a lot of time off to spend with the family. Nothing we couldn't work out but it weighed on me cause it was completely my fault. All is good now and dumb ass me needs to keep it that way.

Tom the Bomb, herzalot, mike and 8 others like this.
  24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    :eek: Wait what???

25. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Precisely why TTB and I didn't ride up there.
    Mikie love your clothing description!
    The 3 pic sequence of Rossage, was that a (painful) dehydration series of pics:eek::eek: