RR: Chilao Goodness 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    At first it was @rossage...
    ...just throwing it out there he was doing Chilao. I remembered Chilao and the Hillyer "The Wall" of Hell, ha hah! Short but steep. But when he said he was starting from Newcombs Ranch, I wasn't sure how that played out. That sounded like new dirt to me. I said I was in. I invited @Voodoo Tom, and he said HE was in... NICE!

Then some dude named @MTBSKI said he was going to try and make it. MTBski? Who the hell was that? A new member? Did a quick search and he signed up like a year ago but never posted. How did he come out of the woodwork? Turns out it is Martin from OTB. I had met and ridden with him before like a year or two ago! Geez he is funny!

Then @scan chimed in he was going, and found out when I got there @Luis committed to show. WOW! Funny how these sometimes just morph together.

So the usual routine, get up at 6am to be on the road by 7am, to be at Voodoo Tom's place by 8am so we could be at the trailhead by 9:30. This happen to be the Newcomb Ranch Cafe parking lot on Highway 2.

It was cold, like 40 degrees maybe? We geared up and got on our bikes and circled the parking lot like sharks at the San Diego Zoo waiting for Scan to show. Where was he?

Circling like sharks waiting for Scan "The Man"...
    Chilao.1.jpg

chilao.goodness.PNG

At 9:45, we decided he wasn't going to make it (no cell reception there), so we headed up Highway 2 towards Three Points, dropped on a section of Silver Moccasin I had never ridden and off we went! This section is singletrack rollers of rising climbs and drops. A few down trees (always with the downed trees! :mad:) Hit a nice section of descent singletrack and then on to fire access roads switching between pavement and dirt we came to Hillyer. A gradual climb and then you are at the wall. no one cleaned it today that I know of. I was in to the flu by now and was just lucky to be there making the best of it! Meanwhile, MTBski is pointed us toward these offshoot trails that probably lead nowhere. I was just happy to hang on long enough on the ride we planned!:oops::rolleyes:

Cruising a new section (for me) of Silver Moccasin Trail.
    Chilao.2.jpg

Following these guys you can always learn something... Luis taking charge. Chilao.3.jpg

Chilao.4.jpg

Rossage.
    Chilao.5.jpg

Voodoo Tom and MTBski taking in the awesome view on News Year Day. Chilao.6.jpg

Totally new dirt for Voodoo Tom, he was grinning from ear to ear the whole day!

At the top of Hillyer is some of the best fun on a singletrack. The weave and bob through, up, and over, huge granite boulders. It's an MTB playground!

Rossage rolling the knifes edge and showing how it's done.
    Chilao.7.jpg

Mrs. Rossage says that i never get pics of Ross riding his bike. I'm trying to change that!:thumbsup: Chilao.8.jpg

Luis showing me the light, and the way for this rock roller.
    Chilao.9.jpg
    Chilao.10.jpg

Dropping Hillyer Trail connects you to Silver Moccasin and "Lo and Behold" we meet Scan and a guy I named, Ninja Don. He had on this face warmer only exposing his eyes so he looked like a Ninja all dressed in dark!

So we bombed Silver Moccasin. Martin (aka MTBski) had a marvelous episode of pedal strike which threw him right over the bars. I got the last microseconds of it on video from behind. I affectionately thanked him for ruining our opportunity to clean that section... Mountain Bikers o_O:rolleyes:!

Martin! MTBski...
    Chilao.11.jpg

Voodoo Tom & Company doing a short gradual to get to the fast and furious of Silver Moccasin. Chilao.12.jpg
    Chilao.13.jpg

One tricky section, if you are not really watching... Pedal strike is real easy if you are blasting this section of Silver Moccasin like we were. MTBski slammed a pedal hard and went right over the bars...
    Chilao.14.jpg

At the bottom we talked a bit then headed up the fire road towards Pacifico towards the pass so we could peel off for Hillyer and start our second loop. Here you had the chance to improve your lines from the first run through Hillyer and Silver Moccasin.

Scan, Ninja Don, Luis, Rossage, and MTBski at the bottom of this section of Silver Moccasin. Chilao.15.jpg

Voodoo Tom & Scan. VT was digging the ride big time! Who wouldn't!Chilao.16.jpg

Cruising towards Pacifico (No, not a beer;)!), to the junction to head back up Hillyer.
    Chilao.17.jpg

Rossage catching a little bunny hop air... just cuz he can...
    Chilao.18.jpg

Going stark crazy, Rossage pulls an illegal and leaves the trail surface. I was going to report him but then again... Fun place! Good times!Chilao.19.jpg

Voodoo Tom getting the hang of this rock rolling thingy. Chilao.20.jpg

Me rolling a nice section. Chilao.21.jpg

Luis shows how it's done.
    Chilao.22.jpg
    Chilao.23.jpg
    Chilao.24.jpg
    Chilao.25.jpg

Ross "hauling the mail" on Silver Moccasin.

Chilao.26.jpg

Ever since Rossage had that collapsed lung re-inflated with helium, he has had a hard time keeping his wheels on the ground. Good on you buddy, for getting right back in the game!

Chilao.27.jpg

Luis leading down Silver Moccasin. What an awesome rider, and friend! Chilao.28.jpg

The fun is done! Rossage coming in the for the high 5... Chilao.29.jpg

Cruising in from an awesome day on the trail. Martin (MTBski), Luis, Ross (Rossage), and Tom (Voodoo Tom). Scan and Ninja Don are right behind me.
    Chilao.30.jpg

At the completion of Silver Moccasin we headed south on the paved camp/access road to a short section of singletrack that connected to Highway 2, then headed east towards Wrightwood the very short distance to the parking lot and our vehicles.

My experience has shown me it's rare that the right blend of people don't show up for the event. It's either that, or Mountain Bikers are just the coolest people on the planet. At least I know I always have an awesome time with the people I ride with... I hope they do with me too...

Currently sick as Deputy Dawg writing this report.
    None the less,
    I did manage to get the vid out as well. So enjoy our Chilao New Years Day..!
    :)Mikie

Chilao Goodness!

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Where's the ride report, Mikie? Do I have to let Wolfie loose?

Tom the Bomb, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I say we start posting pictures and small ride reports of the ride in random places until Mikie catches up...
    image.jpeg

4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Dahmeet!
    You impatient bastages! Later today. Ha ha!

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  5. MTBSKI

MTBSKI Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Martin
  6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    ^^Good stuff!!

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  7. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Too bad the lazy boys didn't have built in massagers :mad:

Tom the Bomb, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Thanks Mikie! Get well soon!
    Great Vid again. Never would have guessed the soundtrack....

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Feel better... Looks like a fun ride for you Rockhounds!

10. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    That's a great looking trail! TFPU! Get well!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and rossage like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Wow! Please let me know when you do this one again. I will make the effort, if at all possible.

I didn't know those puny 26" tires could go through chunk like that! ;) :thumbsup: :whistling:

Oh and NYD is one of the finest songs EVER. That guitar sound is so haunting, with those subtle piano notes. Wow. I was so glad you didn't use the re-mix. Why anyone thinks they should muck up what the artists intended is beyond me.

Tom the Bomb, abuck55, Luis and 4 others like this.
  12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Time to go back, I just learned a bunch of new lines to take thru that chunk after watching the video a half dozen times. Seriously good riding yesterday.

13. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Excellent day for riding at Chilao.
    My plans to ride up to inspiration point fell through at the last minute so a quick txt to Ross and off I went. Chilly temps but with the climbing involved we quickly warned up.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Always a blast playing on the boulders and the views were awesome.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

14. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Thx mikie!! Get rest and feel better dude!!

15. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Did I make that roller? Watch the video!
    Love those Hillyer rocks.

16. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    After admiring this beautiful symphony of mtbikers having fun rolling up and down ... I want to go soooo bad !!! Well... sick time is made for this special occasions.... TFPU !!

Tom the Bomb, abuck55, Luis and 3 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Bump!
    Pics and Report is now loaded above...:thumbsup:

doublewide, herzalot, abuck55 and 2 others like this.
  18. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Great vid and RR Mikie! IMHO that stretch of Silver Moccasin from 3 Points sucks! Only done it a couple times. Too soft and gravelly, and the last time I rode it I was dodging poo-dog the whole way! I like starting on the south Chilao loop by the firefighter memorial, ride south towards Charlton on SM and back; hit the 1 mile of SM from the south to the north Chilao loop then head up the FS road to Hillyer and the Christian Camp. Too bad Vetter is still unridable! Great rockin' and rollin' guys!

abuck55 and Mikie like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Hey Maddog!
    Thanks!
    It must have rained quite a bit since you rode it last. Trail was very firm. As well, the PooDawg was far enough away from the trail to ever be a concern. In fact, it was so cold up there the PD was looking pretty sad! Ha hah! Die PoodleBeotch die! The one nice thing about this route was it did give us some nice extra credit Singletrack descent!
    Glad you enjoyed, sorry those punks from Sqeaky Wheel flaked on an imtbtrails Trails Jedi Mastah!

abuck55 likes this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Awesome! Good times, way to get it done.

Get well soon, Mikie.

Mikie likes this.
  21. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    This
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Side note to @herzalot ! Please note the Fullface accompanied by Baggies...;) (Relieved Smiley)

23. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Sweet ride guys, nice rolling Ross and Mikie! Been a while since I have been up there.

rossage and Mikie like this.
  24. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Man!!.... I missed out!!...
    I have never ridden Chilao and that RIde Report looks so.. Fun! :bang:
    I need to get out there on the next one..
    Great report Mikie!!

25. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Might be snowed in after this week. I'm up there a lot so I'll hit you up the next go around Mark

26. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Next time I'm coming in from Shortcut Saddle. Silver Moc all the way to Horse Flats! That's the way I learned Chilao...

27. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Hit me too @Luis!!

Tom the Bomb, abuck55 and Luis like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    On behalf of all who care about the true meaning of mountain biking - fashion - thank you! :inlove::)

29. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark
    That sounds good Luis!
    Thanks...

rossage and Luis like this.
  30. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    @rossage you are pure genius...Good thing we did this ride last weekend:thumbsup:
    IMG_3390.jpg