RR: Black Friday Bomb Squad Epic....Noble Canyon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Nov 25, 2016.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Saw the posting for this early this week. Figured I had nothing going so why not join in....plus it was a chance to ride with @Tom the Bomb.

Everyone today had a bit of a commute to get to this ride. Everyone else was meeting at Tom's, I drove myself to the trailhead.

IMG_2168.JPG
    Yeah....I rode the DH bike today, and I wore a pack. :eek:

I pulled into Pine Valley Trailhead about 8:45 only to get a PM from Mikie that they were running about 30 mins behind. No big deal. At 10:00 the Bomb Squad showed up.

The clowns just kept exiting the car.... @Tom the Bomb , @Mikie , @burt , @rossage , @abuck55 , @Grego along with Vincent and Tom's brother John.

We geared up and headed out. I think Tom and I are only 2 that had done this ride before. Everyone else was going to be experiencing new dirt.

We agreed on climbing up Pine Valley Trail(bottom portion of Noble Canyon) instead of taking the paved climb. This is a kick to groin to start out a ride...rocky, steppy, ledgy, steep, rutted. Ross jumped out front...and quickly hit the dirt trying to climb over a rock...from recap later on....someone else did the same thing. After about 20 mins we reached the top of the climb. Dropped into our first DH for the day.

Fast, flowy and fun.....plus it gives everyone some enjoyment before we begin the climb up Pine Valley Rd. As usual, the wind was blowing and the temps went up. The group kinda blew up here...but we would all make it up.

IMG_2170.JPG
    Regroup at the end of Pine Valley Rd.

From here we dropped down and climbed the fire road to get to Indian Creek Trail. We reached the bottom of ICT and began the 2 mile climb up. This trail does not change....it is fun, but it is tough. Loose, steep, rocky, steppy. Good thing the breeze was blowing so it kept the temps nice and comfortable. Up, up, up...we finally made it to Champagne Pass. We were spread out quite a bit....Burt headed back down to laugh/point fingers/ridicule those at the back of the pack. :D

IMG_2171.JPG
    She was not happy today....she creaked and squeaked the whole ride.
    IMG_2172.JPG
    Vincent happy that that climb was over.

It was also about this time that Vincent complained that all we were doing was climbing the DH's and going down fireroads. o_O Sorry, Buck-O....but out here you gotta earn your DH....and now that you have been down Noble...I highly doubt you would have preferred to climb it. :thumbsup:

So we traversed Pine Valley Trail over to Sunrise Hwy. About a 15 min pedal on the HWy dropped us off at Penney Pines trailhead.
    IMG_2173.JPG

We chose to roll up the HWY a little bit more to a turn out for lunch where there was a great view of Anza Borrego.

IMG_2175.JPG

From here we went back to Penney Pines....the water is currently off. Time was wasting away, so we only did half of the loop around Lake Laguna. John was right behind me at one point, then everything went quiet. I stopped at the next fork and no one was there. Waited a few mins....still no one. So I rolled back a ways. Turns out he had a minor mechanical. They were about ready to roll when I got there. So we continued on.

One last climb to get to the goods. Finally we made it to the main event. Noble Canyon DH...proper. Fast, flowy, rocky, steppy, roots, ruts, trees, some chunk.....you know fun stuff. Meant to stop and take some pics along the way....but Burt was on my tail. We reached the really chunky section....Ross rocked it on the rigid. Some more chunk, some more flowy....eventually we made it to Stairway to Hell....no one cleaned it, but they all gave it a rockstar effort.

One last climb back up the first DH we had done earlier this morning. Mark made it to the top, and fell over. I think he was done well before that. The climb wasn't horrible, it's not steep, but just seems like it keeps going.

Over the top and down the chunky rock garden. Cleaned it all, but missed the big rock wall. It really is a fun way to finish up the ride.

Good times out there with some great guys. I think everyone had fun.

@Tom the Bomb Thanks for putting this together. :thumbsup: :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Screenshot (77).png Screenshot (78).png

H2oChick, Oaken, herzalot and 31 others like this.
  2. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    You said It Jzilla! great ride today . This trail has it all! Mike had a little blood, Ross just rocked it on his rigid even though he did go over and stuffed a few holes with his 29r wheels, Burt dumped it on Stairway to hell and Mark feeling guilty did admit he went otb, easy to do. Ya stairway to hell got me again, pissr. Jay I thought Mark cleaned it? I am sure he will let us know. There is some crazy chunk out there! Brother John lost the threaded pin that hold in his str brake pads and the pads went ejecto! Not sure exactly how that happened, especially since they are supposed to have a c clip on them too. Guess his mech is a bit absent minded. When he showed up a few weeks ago at my place he was complaining how his cranks were acting up. Turns out his mech left the outer bearing washer off the drive side and it was full of dirt. Hard to find good mechs in Wa. I guess. Bad ass riding boys! Happy Thanksgiving day weekend, ride it like you stole it!
    TTB

3. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Looked to me like Mark pedaled through it and cleaned it. :thumbsup:

herzalot, PATKOUG, abuck55 and 6 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Freakin' awesome ride! Logistics aside, this ride has it all. Climbs, rocks, views, and more rocks! Technical enough to make you say, "Damn, next time.." as you push over another boulder. There are p-lines and rollers and drops and jumps. Everybody hooting and hollering One of the best, most challenging rides around. Get some!
    Yeah, I had a few unplanned dismounts, take your eyes off the trail for a second to look at the view and bam-momentum stealing rocks roll under your wheel. And riding rigid, momentum is your friend, and enemy. I would definitely use a suspension fork next time...My shoulders feel like I was in a push-up contest, and my neck is like a broken, crunchy, bobblehead.
    @mtnbikej led us on the full Tour de Noble, I'm sure we would have made some wrong turns without his knowledge-thanks!
    @Tom the Bomb and brother John from the PNW riding the chunk like champs. Special thanks to TTB for the shuttle, and John for stopping at the Habit for burgers on the way home.
    @Grego and son Vincent put in another solid ride-although according to Vincent, we were riding up all the good downhills!
    @abuck55 , Mark, willingly rode behind me to watch as my bike bounced and rolled over most obstacles in the way. Thanks for the praise on my riding skills-but sometimes I was just hanging on for life!
    @burt, good friend and rider held his own in the chunk thta even claimed his Enduro at one point.
    @Mikie , the King of the Freeway commuters, put in an extra 2 hours before, and after the ride, to and from home. He drew first blood on the first rocky climb-I think we all were a little shocked at how difficult things started...

On a side note, I think that Thanksgiving leftovers may be the nutrition secret of the future. After eating maybe 10,000 calories the day before, I only had a banana, and two brownies for breakfast. On top of the climb I ate half of a turkey and stuffing sandwich and that was it for the ride. 30 miles and 4000ft of climbing on dino-meat and bread!

5. Old Skool

Old Skool Well-Known Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    I have tried STH a few times (never cleaned it either) and also watched some clips on Utube, and Mark had the right line to clean it, you have to make make the transition to that outside line or it is very difficult to roll the chunk on the upper ledge. Thats where TTB kept getting stuck.

6. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Wow, I don't think I've ever ridden so much chunk in one day. From the beginning I had no energy, probably too much junk food the day before. The first climb was technical with several HAB sections for me. Then some fast flow over to a long road climb. Another chunky climb followed but not like the first climb, more of what J described like Trabuco Trail which I thought was appropriate. Yeah Vince wasn't exactly digging all the climbing but he pulled it off well. Took a break after the next road ride and J lead us for a lake cruise, minus any actual water. Nice flat flow. Noble DH was insane. Makes last weeks Gridley seem smooth IMO. STH no-one cleaned but seems do-able with a little practice. One last climb out. I was beat. Dropped a chain (second time ever on the wfo) descending the rocks we climbed in the beginning. Ended up with 29.7 miles so some of us rode the parking lot 0.3 to make it an even 30. What a great ride. I'm at a loss for words. Thanks J for leading the blind and putting up with us slow pokes. Brother John great riding with you again. Pleasure seeing Burt and Mikie two weeks in a row! Rigid Ross damn! Great riding with mark again, haven't seen him since I had long hair. and most of all thanks Tom for the invite, shuttle and putting this whole thing together. You the Man! Oh and Vince loved the DH!!!

noble1.jpg

7. abuck55

abuck55 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    There was mucho traffico on the chunky stairway.. Had to dab to wait for clearance.

Cyclotourist, scan, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I am going back soon. STH has my name on it!:bang:

Faust29, herzalot, PATKOUG and 5 others like this.
  9. abuck55

Name:
    Mark
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg This ride beat the hell out me! Climbs were techy, loose, chunky and steep...
    Oh but DH's made it all worth it‼️
    Tom, Grego and I decided that we would "sweep" on the climbs to take care of the group. JK. We were dying!!
    This was a great ride w/ a great group of people!!
    @Tom the Bomb : Thanks for the invite and for setting this ride up! Always a good time riding with you! Thanks for hanging w/ me in the back. I saw vultures circling above waiting for me to die.
    @Mikie : Been a long time buddy.. Too long. Always a great time when you are in the group! Let's ride Chilayo soon!
    @mtnbikej : Great riding with you again. Thanks for guiding and waiting for me on this one. Great to see you on a squish bike.
    @burt: love the new bike! Great riding with you again too.
    John-Bomb: Great to meet you and ride with you.
    @rossage : Trail MVP with that full ridged flying through all the chunk!! It was Awesome watching you fly and bounce through the rocks!!
    @Grego: Been a lot of years.. Great to see and ride with you.
    @ Vincent: didn't get to see much of you on the ride. Always up front on the climbs and up front on the DH.
    Hope the chunky DH out-weighed the climbing...

Thank you guys for the great time‼️

10. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    The best thing is we all made it out alive with no serious injuries or serious mechanicals (or none we couldn't take care of). No flat tires! Such a buzzkill to stop and take pictures of all the trail goodness. Here's the few that I took while regrouping.

noble5.jpg

noble3.jpg

noble2.jpg

noble6.jpg

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Ohhhhhhh MAN!
    What a day! I 'm just going to add my perspective and then a ton of pics (like usual).
    Up at 4:15am so I can be on the road by 5:00am to @Tom the Bomb 's casa. I pulled up behind @abuck55 (Mark) at 6:45, 15 mins ahead of schedule as i had no idea what Black Friday traffic looks like. It was actually light the entire day.
    @Grego did an awesome job of sardin-ing our bikes into T2's borrowed trailer. Drove another 2+ hours to San Diego and our final destination of the Noble Canyon trailhead where we met up with @mtnbikej .

We suited up and we hit the singletrack climb where I promptly got my tiny little 26" wheel lodge between two boulders and went down on my elbow and knee about 3 minutes into the ride. Well at least I got that out of the way!

It was indeed a climbfest but the payoff was pretty amazing. Although only ~30 miles with ~4100 feet of climbing it did feel like more. I think my Thanksgiving day meal made me feel a little sluggish and I am definitely getting some better elbow and knee pads. I don't wear pads but rides like this force my reality of mortality. If I were to do this ride again, it would be a sleep over as it made for a very long day. I got home at 9:45pm that night. Yikes! Glad I have such an awesome Mrs. Watson! And she is AWESOME!

I did come in 10th place overall on STRAVA!:thumbsup::eek: Uh, but it was for the Victory lap around the campground back at the trailhead...:oops: Totally awesome day with some of the best!
    noble.canyon.PNG

Mark and some Old Geezer...
    DSCF0901.jpg

@Grego loading up the MTB Sardine Can on Wheels.
    DSCF0902.jpg

@burt, @rossage , and @abuck55
    DSCF0903.jpg

Unloading at the trailhead.
    DSCF0908.jpg

The Mighty @mtnbikej !
    DSCF0909.jpg

Conga line.
    DSCF0912.jpg

Top of the paved road climb. Sections were 20% sustained grade.
    DSCF0913.jpg

Sample of the chunk climbing up.
    DSCF0914.jpg

Awesome Singletrack. Indian Creek Trail.
    DSCF0916.jpg

DSCF0917.jpg

The Views.
    DSCF0918.jpg

The @Tom the Bomb !
    DSCF0923.jpg

Mark (@abuck55) & Greg (@Grego)!
    DSCF0919.jpg

The View.
    DSCF0924.jpg

The View Intended.
    DSCF0927.jpg

Photo Bombed!
    DSCF0925.jpg

Bombed Back!
    DSCF0926.jpg

Vince "The Trail Slayer", and his dad @Grego. This pic seriously makes me wish Cathy and I had our own kids. Vince is awesome. To ride with my own son would choke me up how awesome that would be...
    DSCF0928.jpg

Lining up for the Final Bomb. Haul the mail baby!
    DSCF0930.jpg

@Grego .... the BLURRRR!

DSCF0934.jpg

Mark cleaning the Stairway to Hell. He only had to dab due to traffic.
    DSCF0936.jpg

DSCF0937.jpg

@rossage , raging at the most excellent chunky singletrack! He rode it on a rigid. Holy smokes, he did awesome!
    DSCF0932.jpg

Tom the Bomb.
    DSCF0931.jpg

DSCF0938.jpg

Mark. One overdone Egg Salad Sandwich. Said he could go no further.... but yet he did.
    DSCF0943.jpg

J and John.
    DSCF0946.jpg

Ross, Grego, and J.
    DSCF0950.jpg

Vince.... The Trail Slayer!
    DSCF0948.jpg

John and Burt.
    DSCF0947.jpg

J-Zilla
    DSCF0952.jpg

Loading up to head the long way home.
    DSCF0953.jpg

Cougar, bvader, DangerDirtyD and 17 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Some type of Santa Cruz...
    Amazing ride and report(s), thanks for posting - and making me slightly envious...

bvader, Grego, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  13. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    All of you riders.....:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: !! Great report+amazing pics+crazy chunky stuff video=tears of joy in my eyes :cry:.
    Note to myself..train more to keep up with this guys and save those coming sick days at work for rides like these one...:thumbsup:

PATKOUG, Grego, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  14. abuck55

Name:
    Mark
    This pic is Awesome!!
    image.jpeg

bvader, DangerDirtyD, PATKOUG and 8 others like this.
  15. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Little over saturated, but the content is meaningful.
    Love you @Mikie.

16. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Thats some funny chit right there! LMAO!

Faust29, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  17. burt

burt Well-Known Member

Name:
    burt
    'Got fantastic rocks down there San Diego-way, makes me want to go test my mettle at Chiquito. Thanks for the transportation TTB and rossage. Great riding from the Bomb family; John's stories of WA dirt make me jealous. Thanks J for guiding, great choice looping the lake/meadow, very scenic as sunset approached. Glad you make the trek mikie, wouldn't have been the same without-chabud. Nice line on the STH Mark, like it ain't no deal at all. Great riding with you Greggo & son, Vince killed some monster climbs on that DH sled.

IMG_20161125_115740.jpg

IMG_20161125_115649.jpg

IMG_20161125_121308.jpg

18. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You know the ride was chunky when you have to take a file to your cranks and pedals to clean up after all the rock strikes. Probably need a new bash guard too.
    Oh yeah!

19. doublewide

doublewide MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    41U4d%2BoSF4L._SX466_.jpg

20. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Never see that crap on my cranks. Besides, I need a rubber that can cover the whole shaft, if you know what I mean.

2016-11-28 13.17.11.jpg 2016-11-28 13.17.34.jpg
    At Noble they don't just have rocks, they have BFRs, aka Big f@cking Rocks! Lots of them!! A whole mess of em lined up like shark's teeth or a chick with braces!

PATKOUG, Mikie, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  21. abuck55

Name:
    Mark
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Haha... Yup!
    I must have bashed pedal to rock 50 times on this ride!
    I don't like those covers. I have gotten use to the feel of rock bashing aluminum.

PATKOUG, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Why would anyone ride shark tooth chunk when they could cruise and flow on smooth fireroad and buff singletrack?

Cyclotourist, PATKOUG, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I'll send the Aliso crew to go fix it...

24. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Why not just grab G. E. Trail Sanitizer Extraordinaire...???:eek:

25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Send them to Barrett Stoddard.

PATKOUG, abuck55, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  26. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Nice Job Guys....sigh..... I need to get out on some of these.
    Hopefully get some over the holiday break plus a PCE sometime early in the year.

27. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Just installed a set of 170 cranks 2 weeks ago I had one (1) pedal strike all day! It does feel like I lost a low gear though . I hate pedal strikes, one sent me over the edge in Sedona a couple years back.

28. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I hear ya. A pedal strike caused my worst mtb accident to date. Concussion, facial lacerations, dislocated shoulder and two nights in hospital...

But that said, I have a SRAM Crankset and PF BB for sale with 170mm cranks. Used about ten times. 30 or 32 t chainring. This is not the one on my bike during the aforementioned crash. In fact, I never crashed while this crankset was on my Tracer. Maybe I should keep it!
    Cranks1.JPG

29. abuck55

Name:
    Mark
    T-Bomb,
    1) pedal strike!!??.. I need a 170 set!!

30. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I didn't like 170 cranks. I felt the difference and have always wished I could go with 180's for the leverage. But since my right leg is 1/2" shorter than my left I couldn't swing them.
    I would stick with 175's; that 5mm is not going to make 'that" big of difference and you will pay the penalty of less crank leverage in your drive train all the time on climbs. Just my opinion...:thumbsup: