RR: Bike 4 Bender 2016 S.A.R.T. Hell Ride Collective Report

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Oct 29, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Here's mine. (for now)
    I left my house at 3:30 to meet @Bluesrider & @scottay at the Denny's off Interstate 5 on Roxford at 4:30am.
    I'm more beat from the drive then I am from the ride.

Huge thanks to @Bluesrider for driving to Redlands and to @DangerDirtyD for shuttling us up to the upper trailhead!

Weather: Perfect
    Dirt: PERFECT!
    Brothah's: MOSTEST PERFECT!

I even met @moto knight in the pizza line afterwards. MAN! Awesome to finally meet you bud!

More to come. Mikies been on the road or riding since 3:00am this morning, just got out of the shower at 6:00pm.

Let the awesomeness begin...

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    image.jpeg
    Dropped off four of the Chicken Nuggets @Bluesrider @scottay @burt and @Mikie at SouthFork for SART and then rode Loch Leven to Angelus Oaks up and back solo. 13 miles/1,800'. I saw 4 riders all day, except for the hundreds at the brewery before sunrise. No snow at Wildhorse Meadows, but we didn't ride that. Soon, let's plan a ride to follow @burt from Wildhorse to Hangar 24. I'd put that ride toe to toe with anything on this continent for biodiversity. I filled my growler for $11 today! The guy setting up the Bike for Bender booth said I was one of the top 10 finishers, and I acted like I rode hell ride and allz'y'all are slowwwwwwer than me.

Cisco Roots, H2oChick, ~JB~ and 14 others like this.
  3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I was sorry to hear you were not joining us on today's adventure.

5. burt

burt Member

Name:
    burt
    Thanks for the shuttle D! Nice sock, wool can't be beat on the feet. Great SART ride as always, but it's basically the only thing I have ridden out that way between Big Bear and Idylwild so I gotta go check out Wildhorse and Loch Leven with ya soon. Sorry, no pics; dirt was too good to stop. I'll be waiting for the B4B Pioneer Town thread, I want to try some more of these crazy marathon rides next year.

Cisco Roots, MTBHotRod, mike and 8 others like this.
  6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I met with @Faust29 and @mtnbikej at 5:15 in south OC, and we ended up getting there pretty early.

The organizers told us to be there at 6:30 for the 7am shuttle... but when we got there ~6, they were already on the loudspeakers telling us to 'hurry up' and load our bikes in the shuttle. o.0 Anyways.

We saw a few guys while we were waiting for the bus; but pretty much just twiddled our thumbs (well, one of us couldn't - but I'll let him share that) a bit before we loaded up and got moving with the shuttle.

When we got to the top, @Mikie and some of the @DangerDirtyD "self shuttlers" made their way to our bus and w formed a small group of ~9. (Props to DDD for selflessly shuttling that group) That group of 9 would normalize around 6-7 in number as @burt and @bigringrider101 ebbed and flowed through/around the group most of the day.

The temps were awesome all day, slightly nippy at the start (but not as cold as we thought it was going to be), but it warmed up pretty quickly, and we stayed under a cloud cover most of the ride. So unlike last year, the climb up to Morton's Peak didn't have us baking in the sun like last year, and we didn't get into the 80's until we were back at hanger 24. So win win on this front (not very 'hellish' for a hell ride that is supposed to be called a hell ride specifically because of the adverse weather conditions).

@Mikie set an aggressive pace to start, and I jumped on his back wheel, J on mine and the rest fell in line. We rode fairly aggressively until we hit the middle control road section... when I fell off the back :) @scottay was a trooper and hung back with me chatting away the time, heh. At some point up here, I had my only mishap of the day; I failed to unclip while trying to navigate a really tight section around a downed log, and ended up falling down a small embankment... but what was amusing was the way I ended up, I was literally riding my bike completely upside down with my feet still clipped in and the bike perfectly upside down above me with me on my back :p @Faust29 witnessed the whole thing, else it would have never happened :p (on the plus side, that was my only cleat problem of the day, so I'm getting that finally dialed in)

The dirt above the last fireroad descent was honest to goodness hero dirt. Almost perfectly tacky, yet it wasn't throwing up too much debris for the people behind other riders.

Then we got to the best part, the downhill past the first SAG station. Knowing that my only claim to fame (really, claim to above average) in this group of accomplished riders was my descending ability, I jumped on J's wheel who was right behind Mikie. We had a blast bombing down, and I held my own.

Then the big fireroad descent (what a waste of elevation!) and had to climb up to Morton's Peak. Ugh. I just decided that I was going to clean that bitch, no matter how slow I needed to make that be. A few minutes after I got to the top, the guys that went for the extra credit at the top of the peak had returned. I declare perfect timing there :p

Then we dropped the descent from Morton's. I was hoping it would be a bit better than last year, and it was slightly better (slightly damped down, but not like the trails at the top), but I still pussy footed that descent. Tons and tons of exposure and sketchy trail conditions to navigate. 27+miles in, I was tired and knew it, so I played it safe. No mishaps, so that was a win.

Unfortunately, Faust had some tire trouble on this last leg, but otherwise it was a hugely successful and immensely enjoyable experience. I really enjoy this event, and it is a marque event for me year on year. Self shuttling is a PITA, and I will absolutely pay money to take some of that pain away for such a quality ride.

Huge thanks to everyone that I rode with today, y'all are superb riders and with my recent ride cadence dropping to 1/wk for the past few months I know I was holding the group back on the post-climbing regroups some (I avg'd 172 bpm for the 4 hr ride for example). I appreciate the patience and comradery - class acts, the lot of you.

Also, no pictures because Mikie is a slave driver. :) I think Faust got a few though.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    So I joined in on this ride. To be honest....this is not my cup of tea. It just seemed wrong to not climb to get to the goods.

At the beginning, I did look into climbing up to the start....but let's be honest. To get to South Fork in time to meet the guys at 8:00 would have required a very early and dark start, riding about 10 miles of Forest roads that I had never been on. So I tossed in my cash and bought a spot on the bus.

Met up with @Cougar and @Faust29 about 5:15 and we headed out. We arrived about at Hangar 24 about 6:15. Got checked in, geared up and rolled my bike into the trailer. By that point several of the others had begun to roll in.... @burt , @Mikie , @scottay , @driffter33 , @MTBHotRod , @bigringrider101 , @Bluesrider

Got on the bus....haven't been on a school bus since.....well since I was in school. Let's just say the leg room is not made for adults. Slow ride up to South Fork...made even longer and most uncomfortable when you really gotta pee. :sick: Unloaded us just above the normal spot, relieved and reunited with my bike...we were ready to roll.

Temps were much warmer than the forecast had predicted. Rolled onto SART and we were off. @Mikie was out front pushing the pace.... @Cougar was doing an impressive job of holding on to him. We thought we got out early, but there was still a lot of traffic in front of us....good thing the slow riders moved over when the snowplow....er Mikie pushed them aside. :ninja: Dirt was tacky and damp....yeah, it WAS THAT GOOD :thumbsup: :cool: Oak leaves littered the trail....Fall is here. We just kept pushing on. Eventually Craig had enough of starring at Mikie's rear and moved over. We would finally regroup around mile 7 or 8. Fast push down to Middle Control Rd.

The climb started off casual and social....until I got passed by the guy on the SS that we had passed earlier...yeah, it was on. :eek: Dropped the hammer, @Faust29 held on as long as he could. We did pass the other SS, so then it was just a matter of getting to the top. Why not try for a PR. At the top of Middle Control Rd. was the only Aid Station. Filled up the bottle to replace the 2 or 3 oz. that I had drank to that point. While waiting for the others...the temps started to cool down. We quickly got back on track.

Down the road and behind the Post Office....out front we missed the turn off for the ST.....ooops. We dropped in and started to roll before we realized we were missing someone. Was sent back to make sure they knew where they were going. He was right there anyway. This section of trail is probably the best on all of SART...too bad I just don't ride it that often. Chunky, flowy, tacky, narrow, exposure.....all good. This led us down to the fire road above Loch Leven. Fast roads....only stop really was to retrieve Mikie's camera that hit the ejector button.

Made the right turn and headed up toward Morton Peak. Yippee.....new dirt for me. Pushed a little, but kept the pace in check. It was starting to warm up bit by this time. @burt caught us and we followed him up to the extra credit lookout at Morton Peak...never been there, so why not. Mikie and Steve were the only others to come up. Everyone else waited below. Upon returning to the mass of riders that had assembled at the start of Lower SART, we just kept rolling. The trail was narrow...really narrow. The turns were blind...and tight....and exposed. Some of the switchbacks were dang tight. The pace was quick, but cautious....new dirt. We got pretty spread out at this point. After a bit of not seeing the others, we stopped and waited. Just about everyone came up and they rolled. Craig and Steve were still MIA. Craig eventually rolled up and mentioned Steve was having a tire issue. He rolled, I hung back. By the time he got there, the tire was nearly flat. He got it pumped up and we rolled. The trail got even more exposed, more narrow and the hero dirt had dried out.

Lower SART just kept going. :geek: We finally ran back into Craig at the top of a singletrack shortcut. Steep and loose....with an audience. It was fun. We regrouped one last time. Down the road a ways then we found the Paul Bunyun Trail.....fun and different, but better than the other option. Spin down the HWY 38 and back into the parking lot.

It was only about 12:15 so we were not gonna hang around til the raffle went off at 3:00.

The ride was great. Conditions were great. Weather was great.

It was great to see and ride with you guys again. :thumbsup: You are all my heroes. :rolleyes::notworthy::Barefoot:

Screenshot (48).png Screenshot (49).png

8. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad cc
    My chamois failed me today, otherwise an awesome ride out there today.

baboon butt.jpg

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    This ride was awesome! But the pre-ride really banged me up... Those U-Haul ramps should have warning lights for really klutzy people. If you heard about some guy doing a face plant, it was me! Sprained wrist, and a Charley horse even before we mounted up...

Some pictures for now...

IMG_1987.JPG IMG_1989.JPG IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1999.JPG IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2005.JPG IMG_2009.JPG IMG_2010.JPG IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2015.JPG

Cisco Roots, H2oChick, ~JB~ and 17 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    @Mikie still has the coolest poses in all of mtb!

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Needs moar buttah!

12. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Nice meeting you too Mikie!

MTBHotRod, Bluesrider, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Not much more that I can say... just the day was perfect in just about every way! Saw some good people, missed seeing some others.

Full photo-set here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/albums/72157672281881664

Early start worked out fine as we got to see some great scenery climbing up the hwy!
    30536747742_30e64baca4_b.jpg

First casualty causing some traffic back up. A rider went about 30-40 feet over the side. Banged up his head and face pretty good on the route down.
    30022217084_1e048c302c_b.jpg

I've never been on the SART past the P.O. Loop and was amazed with the beauty and diversity of trail up there:
    30653640405_ba060d5fde_b.jpg

One of the spots past Angelus Oaks that I stalled out on trying to clear:
    30536750982_f548b83c74_b.jpg

Climbed up to Morton Peak and took advantage of it being open. Hung out with the volunteer up there for a bit, and learned about his craft
    30353152870_5d80257033_b.jpg

The only tough climb of the day was up Morton Peak. Great views if you needed to stop and rest some!
    30019909263_9965d68b58_b.jpg

Thanks for supporting the local economy!
    30021656514_39eaa155e0_b.jpg

As I mentioned, I've never been on the entire SART up here, and it's great! I loved every bit of it. Incredibly varied terrain and trail over those 36 miles! I went OTB at one point, the last little stretch of exposed ST before you dropped down to the fire road. Not the drop itself, but the twisties before that. Somehow landed directly on my knees. Couldn't stand for a bit after that, and it slowed me down a bit on the Morton climb. But not too bad right now. Will know tomorrow how much I'll have to pay for this ride!

I over-dressed and over packed. Ended up having to pull everything off and carry the entire ride. Shoulders are a bit sore from that. Rear brake performed fine, although with the solid rotor it doesn't stop without adding in a lot more power, so my hand is sore from having to work the brake so much.

GREAT DAY OUT THERE!!!

14. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Damn if I had known all you imtb'rs were doing this I woulda joined you! I was planning in on doing it next weekend.

MTBHotRod, Faust29, mike and 6 others like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Bomb! Which day next weekend? I'll try and make that one but I may not have the entire day. I want to add Wildhorse Meadows to the ride down to Mentone and invite @burt. Sub-alpine to lower Sonoran singletrack.

Tom the Bomb, MTBHotRod, mike and 3 others like this.
  16. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Thanks to Bluesrider Todd for the ride to Redlands!
    Thanks to Triple D for the shuttle ride!
    There were at least 180 riders on Strava. Probably closer to 300 in total.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/759684654

17. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Thanks Zilla. If the stars align and I have enough saddle time, we'll rendezvous again.

18. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Bummed missed this year. Had work convention in Palm Springs all weekend. Looked up into the mountain knowing the good time I missed.

Dean

19. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    If Hell is anything like yesterdays ride I'm in!! This was my 1st B4B Hell Ride and only my 2nd time riding SART (last time was about 10 years ago). That was such a fun ride. We couldn't of paid for better conditions. Hero dirt, cools temps at the top, and a great group of riders. As usual the IMTBTrails crew was charging hard. Glad to see and ride with everyone again. Everyone charged hard and kept the pace up. No one ended up with any injuries and only a few minor mechanicals. Big shout out to the folks and volunteers who put on this event. The local MTB teams even went out and trimmed the bushes on the trail for us last week. Great event for a great cause. Looking forward to the next epic ride.

20. burt

burt Member

Name:
    burt
    Yeah, thanks @pinnacle10 and rest of B4B crew, this event is always stellar. Such a big community here in socal, looks like a nightmare to manage, but I'm glad it exists and hope it only gets bigger. Mad props!

21. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Hell Ride 2016
    Bikes 4 Beers
    I think this is the 6th time in a row I've done this. This is probably the best condition I've seen.

My alarm went off at 3:50 to meet Crazy Bear at his place by 4:15. Two stops on the way to pick up people on the way. Made it to 24 Hanggar by 6:30.
    Bottom line didn't get home 'till 6:38 PM I was gone for 14 1/2 hrs riding time was about 4 hrs. If I do it again I would have to find a different way to get there.

I only had a cup of coffee in my stomach oh and a doughnut that I scored for checking in. So on the way back before finishing the ride I stopped at subway and got myself a foot long with lots of everything in it. Otherwise the two beers that I had would have knocked me down.
    Todd and Mikie gave me their raffle tickets before heading home. One winner, BMX grips, a bottle cage and a water bottle, Mine!

IMG_4581.JPG

IMG_4582.JPG

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Okay.
    So I read all the blah blah blah from the guys above...
    Now it's time to tell the real story.:rolleyes::)
    First off, big kudos to Bike for Bender. They put on a great event. @pinnacle10 ! Great to finally meet you!

My alarm went off at 3:00am to be on the road by 3:30 to meet @Bluesrider and @scottay at the Roxford Denny's off Interstate 5. I got there to find Todd (Bluesrider, he really does like blues) at the gas station across the street getting gas. We parked on the side street as Scottay was pulling up. Big thanks AGAIN to Todd for the transport to Redlands!!! We loaded up in Todd's Toyota and then took off, as I frisked and then re-frisked myself several times to discover I could not find or did not have my cell phone...:eek: oh crap! My lifeline. How am I going to connect with @DangerDirtyD once we get to Hangar 24? How am I going to contact anybody? My stresser number 1.

So Todd is literally doing 90 miles per hour and I'm thinking we are going to get there like an hour before we left :rolleyes:. When we got to Redlands we passed our exit, turned around and got heading in the general right direction and we are now looking for breakfast. My ride staple is Subway (Eat Fresh!). It's exactly 6:00am and we find one with the open sign lit!:thumbsup: We walk in to find the girl just got there and they don't open til 7:00 :mad:. Stresser number 2.

So we end up at of all places McDonald's :gag:, where I get an oatmeal, and a Sausage McMuffin with Egg. Stresser number 3.
    It's there that I call Cathy to let her know I'm an idiot (she already knows)and that I "think" I left my cell in the car (could be on the roof of the car, lying in the street next to the car, or even on the trunk lid, who knows):whistling: Turns out it slid into a Audio CD case as I drove and it was out of site when I did my final check before hopping in Todd's truck to roll.

We buzz over to Hangar 24 and start to park in the shuttle parking lot and see @Cougar , @mtnbikej , and @Faust29 !Then Bluesrider and Scottay discover that the bikes are getting shuttled in the back of a U-Haul truck. Uhhhh... deer in headlights :geek:. "Hey, I'm not putting my bike in a sardine can with a bunch of other bikes, uhh, we'll shuttle ourselves thank you..." We pull back out on to the street and park.

Go sign our liability papers and get our raffle tickets, see @bigringrider101 , find @burt , and now we are looking to self shuttle bluesrider, scottay, burt, and myself up with DangerDirtyD (birthday boy). Then in rolls 3D and we decide to load Burt on to Bluesriders Toyota and have Triple D drive Bluesriders vehicle back to the hangar (No Toyota's were harmed in the making of this shuttle)...:rolleyes: Man! Thanks again @DangerDirtyD !

Triple D disassembles his bike (I didn't know he was even bringing his bike and puts it in his front seat... and off we go. Did I tell you how much you Rock Triple D?

So it all worked out, despite as vague of plans man can make, we not only got to the trailhead, we got there in perfect time to suit up and meet the 7:00am shuttle to ride with the boys... and ride we did!

Okay... :eek:I admit it! I may have gone out a little hot. :oops: Hey! I was nervous! How would you like to lead this gaggle of hooligans out as the ride leader?!?!?!?:sneaky: I'm the old guy remember? ...and I had to prove I still have "something" in the tank. I did hear comments like, "I thought this was a social ride?" out of @MTBHotRod. But for me, there is only one way to hit S.A.R.T. and that's to ride it!:thumbsup: Love me some S.A.R.T. speed! So if I recollect right, it was @Cougar, @mtnbikej, @Faust29, @burt, @scottay, @Bluesrider, @bigringrider101, @MTBHotRod, and a great guy named Danny who I think is an imtbtrails member, it's just that "he" can't remember if he signed up and I don't know how to look him up by his real name. Stoopid moderators.

The temp was perfect, warmer then expected. Truck said 51 degrees when we got out of it. The rider group in my opinion is a fast posse so sitting in front of that freight train all I could think of was haul the mail!:cool: I don't think we "bombed it" for the most part, but there were definite moments of .....speed. Hee hee! I think my favorite sections were after the post Office. Those fast narrow exposed sections are most excellent!

When we ran out of trail we hit the streets of Redlands :unsure::( That should be a felony after all that awesomeness. The single speeders finally looked goofy immediately out of gears. I tried it with them but I looked silly.

Hangar 24 is a pretty cool place. We got in a lot earlier than last year. Berni was sitting on the curb chewing a big Subway. I wasn't starving but I was thinking of jumping him for the other half. I'm sure he could beat me up, so I didn't. Hung out with @Cyclotourist! Those guys grow beards in Redlands, I want to spend more time with that dude. He's awesome! Like I said above, standing inline for a slice of pizza, I ran in to @moto knight! When I got a beer, I told the guy at the counter I am the least likely guy to drink a horrifying IPA. he smiled and to my delight they actually brewed several I really liked. Had a couple beers! Scottay bought me one of them, thanks @scottay!

Raffle was at 3:00pm, too late for our drive, so we did not hang around either. So we headed out. Who won the Frame!?!?!? What a great day!

Apparently @Faust29 did a superman, and @Cougar pulled a turtle both ejecting off the trail at one point? NICE!

Hmmm... 29 PR's since last time. Maybe I was a bit zealot...
    bike.4.bender.2016.PNG

The rest, everyone told you above. Me? I had an amazing day; cell phone was not an issue, McDonald's did not destroy my internals, my over riding through the week did not affect my ride although my legs were a bit tired on the climbs (I had been doing intervals and sprints all week trying to get back in shape), THE DIRT WAS TOTALLY HERO! Never seen it like that on S.A.R.T. and the imtbtrails Chicken Nuggets were the absolute bomb!

Here are some pics that I took. I should have brought the GoPro but I didn't. None the less...

"Uh... Doood? Where's my car?"
    "Uhhh, 3D? You are sitting in it."
    DSCF0847.jpg

"Scottay says, "Ummm, I don't think were all going to fit in DangerDirtyD's pick up..."
    DSCF0848.jpg

Looking more like an auto accident "inside the vehicle". DangerDirtyD puts his bike inside so he can return to it NOT stolen.
    DSCF0849.jpg

Scottay, Bluesrider, and DangerDirtyD...
    DSCF0850.jpg

DangerDirtyD, well... being just one of my good buddies! Posting more pics in a minute...
    DSCF0851.jpg

Me. With a very bizarre expression and awkward stance.
    I look like a cereal killer, or a guy that works at a library (Did I spell liberary right?). I got nothing...

DSCF0852.jpg

The mighty Burt...
    DSCF0853.jpg

J-Zilla photo bombing the pic in the background, it shook the camera while attempting to capture Craig (Cougar), and Rodney (MTBHotRod)...WOW!
    DSCF0856.jpg

Faust29 AKA Steve...

DSCF0858.jpg

On the trail. Berni! You look bored?!?!
    DSCF0861.jpg

Steve (Faust29) and Craig (Cougar)...
    DSCF0862.jpg

The one and only "Official" Pit Stop... they were serving margaritas...
    Danny over in front of the telephone poles pouring out the rest of his Bud Light...
    DSCF0864.jpg

It's a photo finish for Scottay and Cougar to the top of Middle Control Road...
    DSCF0865.jpg

Scottay with a backdrop of Redlands...
    DSCF0867.jpg

Faust29 with a blurring descent finish to the fire road...
    DSCF0869.jpg

MTBHotRod adding more air to his leaky rear shock...
    DSCF0870.jpg

mtnbikej and burt... You would ride fast too if these guys are behind you! Man... those pink grips...:gag:
    DSCF0872.jpg

Looking back at the Santa Ana River...
    DSCF0873.jpg

Faust29, after a major reduction from overdressing...
    DSCF0874.jpg

Danimal, mike, Tom the Bomb and 21 others like this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    It's official!

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Now don't get carried away, here...

Tom the Bomb and DangerDirtyD like this.
  25. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Thanks everyone for coming out. Best guess is about 300 people, but we have no real way of counting. There were at least 215 on Strava who rode and we had 150 paid shuttles which sold out. I think 2007 was the first year I did this ride and there were close to 30 people and everyone was talking about what a big turnout it was that year. Bike for Bender was formed in 2010 and Hell Ride has really taken off the last few years. The first year we formed Bike for Bender, Rob Bender was still alive and fighting cancer. That was the first year we saw attendance really jump and got up to around 100. So we'd like to thank everyone for supporting us and being out there. Our mission, to promote the local cycling community, is based on the way Rob lived his life.

Any feedback on ways to improve things please message me or post up.

Here's a picture someone posted on Instagram. I can no longer ride (knee issue), but this picture sums up what I really miss about mountain biking....Perfect singletrack in beautiful scenery.

HellRide2016.png

Oaken, Grassblade23, mike and 15 others like this.
  26. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    @Mikie your camera seemed to be allergic to taking a stable picture when I was in it, lol!

Tom the Bomb, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  27. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: to all of you guys !!!
    What was the temp? Everyone is wearing layers...

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

It was supposed to be much colder than it actually turned out to be.

29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    When we got out of the vehicle at North Fork the vehicles thermometer indicated 51 degrees, compared to the forecasted 47 degrees. The higher humidity and thick cloud cover gave it that "feels like" temperature that felt much warmer.

30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Okay... Two blurry pictures and we have a trend... You are so blazing fast even when standing still my shutter speed can't keep up!

Tom the Bomb, DangerDirtyD and Cougar like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?