RR: Bear Creek Trail Ride Report #2 with Video

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    The last thing I would ever want to do is attempt to upstage a great report :thumbup: like AKAKTM's!
    So what I thought I would do is a separate report and then combine them later.
    Tony is right, I think you could call Bear Creek Trail a destination trail, combined with the very awesome Camp Nelson Trail (certainly the most popular trail up in the Camp Nelson area for it's easier shuttle-ability and incredible singletrack run), there is no doubt I would head up to Camp Nelson if someone asked me to go . . . again!

So...
    Where to begin...
    I get a text from Tony Arnold asking if I had a .gpx of Bear Creek. I have a typical "Mikie Idiot Moment" of not even remembering Bear Creek Trail :roll: from when Maddog, Scottay, Hill^Billy I did it just last year! So like a dumass I try to help him out and do a search on MTB Projects and the closes Bear Creek Trail is in Colorado. Then it started to dawn on me. We did a Bear Creek Trail when we were last up in Camp Nelson, and it all started to come back to me. Five mile climb to what seems like endless descending singletrack filled with log jumps, steep technical rocky babyheads to boulder rolls, to super screaming fast super smooth fast and flowy as the grand finale. Yeah... Bear Creek Trail...

So it aint on STRAVA (until now), it aint on MTB Projects (soon to be) so why in the world would Bear Creek Trail not be on the map? ...To be honest? No idea! But the trail totally rocks and I can only assume it's because the shuttle is long, there is a 5 mile climb to 9,000 feet of elevation to get to the descent and it's in an out of the way place called Camp Nelson, so there is work to get there!

Now fortunately, the time I did BCT last year there were no downed trees accept for the ones left on purpose to do drop jumps off of. This time there were multiple trees down over the trail. But as of this writing I had already heard that an amazing crew out of Kernville had already got it handled. So there is never a better time to get up and get you some of that! And I strongly suggest you do. The trail needs to continue to be burned in so it needs the bikes on it or we will lose an incredible singletrack experience...

So Tony says that there are a few riders going and that they would meet me at the Flying J. Could not get better than that! So I'm sitting at the Flying J waiting for these guys to show up any second now. As I drove in the parking lot I got a text from Fadi saying they would be there in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later, I finally get another text from Fadi that read, "Where are you?" I text back, "At the Flying J!" He say, "We are at Jack in the Box waiting for you" . . . say what?

1 Minute later I'm at Jack and the Box to discover I think about 14 people! Fourteen Riders? I don't do rides with 14 riders! So I put my big smile on, and meet everyone while my bike get's loaded on one vehicle, I get lucky and get to ride up with Ken Raleigh and Dan in another vehicle! NICE!

It's a little bit of a drive from Frazier Park, but we got to talk all the way up.

When we got to Camp Nelson, to be honest, I was a little hazy on what to do and they were kinda relying on me to put this together since I had ridden it before. However, Maddog did all the planning last time and I was in the back seat on all the shuttle action. As we were sitting in Camp Nelson, a car pulls up with a bike on the back. The guy's window is down and he says, "Hey Mikie Watson!" . . . . uh oh, not again, what did I do this time! But as soon as he pulled over and got out, I recognized it was none other than jfsh! Holy smokes . . . what a coincidence! He was meeting some ride buddies and they were going to go do the Summit Trail. I've done Summit Trail, and it's okay, but in my opinion Bear Creek Trail is a way better package! (They ended up doing it too later, chasing us from behind, they never caught us until the bottom while we were waiting for the kids to get the shuttle, and that is where we met squirrel, a new member of imtbtrails...!)

As it was all coming together as to how to strategize this, jfsh added much better ideas on where to park at the bottom.

Thanks Man!

Rodney helped put the trailhead start point together which I thought was a great idea! So, I really was not needed after all ha hah! Like I said, Maddog did the planning last time and I was along for the ride... :oops:

So we all suited up and hit the trail. We started with a descent that turned into a climb up Summit Trail to the peek. When we hit the trail, all were very excited. It's a tough climb to the peek, the trail just kisses 9,000 feet in elevation. It is very beautiful with a couple of steep hike-a-bikes but it is totally worth it! Once you hit the descent there are moments of very intense speed, intense technical fun, and some nice Log Jumps!

I took less pics this time and shot more video. As always I try to have some fun with that. So this has a blend of very old and newer tune to help get you through it. (as herzalot noted below, I forgot the music credits: "Around the Bend" by Creedance Clear Water Revival and "To Fly " by Day of FIre). I hope you enjoy!

bear.creek.trail.jpg GOPR0216.JPG GOPR0228.JPG GOPR0311.JPG GOPR0331.JPG GOPR0355.JPG GOPR0379.JPG GOPR0382.JPG GOPR0386.JPG GOPR0403.JPG GOPR0433.JPG GOPR0436.JPG GOPR0570.JPG GOPR0429.JPG GOPR0610.JPG GOPR0581.JPG GOPR0657.JPG GOPR0316.JPG GOPR0658.JPG Fadi Landing.jpg

Oh, and remember my concern for a group of 14? They rocked! Even Brian and Nicole who were quite new to the cycling side of two wheels. That is NOT a beginner ride. Great job out there!!!

Go do Bear Creek Trail!
    Mikie

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Re: Bear Creek Trail Ride Report #2 with Video

What a great looking trail. Super challenging in parts, playful bits and smooth flow - all in the woods. Looks like Colorado. Thanks for a great ride report. Not sure I like seeing your cheek and glasses the whole way - feels a little creepy, but then again, it confirms that you smile when you ride. :D I like the second song a lot - sounded like Bush. I'll look it up.

Nope. Who's ever heard of Day of Fire? Sounds like Bush. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.metrolyrics.com/to-fly-lyrics-day-of-fire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.metrolyrics.com/to-fly-lyric ... -fire.html</a> Great song regardless.

:thumbup: :clap:

Mikie likes this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:

Crud! I forgot the Music credits...AGAIN!
    Yeah, that camera...great spot for video, but sometimes it is tilted too far inward so you get a bit-o-mikie in every frame. Sorry about that, that's too much Mikie even for me. You got to get it "just" right.
    Well apparently I have heard of Day of Fire. The Band Leader nearly died of a Heroin overdose quit his up and coming band and started a Christian band. Their first album won some kind of award called the Dove Awards on the Christian market.
    I tend to like the harsher Christian Rock bands like P.O.D. and Kutless in their early days...

4. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant

Like these fellas??

9420694_orig.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:

Haha!
    Now that really dates me! Stryper, I was not a huge fan but they were certainly one who led the way!

6. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

Great RR and video Mikie. Always a great time riding with you. Can't wait till the next epic.

Mikie likes this.
  7. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special

awesome video edit. way high on the stoke meter!

I don't know why I missed bear creek when I rode there. that looks great. instead we did a non shuttle freeman-nelson ride then back up the paved road. next time I go I am all about the shuttle junkie thing for sure

Mikie likes this.
  8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:

Hey CarlS, we left from the same location you would head down Freeman, but just went the opposite direction through Quaking Aspens campground and up, instead of down Camp Nelson to the upper fire road, then jumped on the Summit Trail...

9. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar

We sometimes would start Bear Creek where Summit Trail crosses Jordan Lookout Road. Another route is a out and back, park at the bottom of Freeman Creek trail and bagging Jordan Peak and back.

Dean

Mikie likes this.
  10. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Mikie likes this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    ^^^WOW CarlS! That was a full day event...^^^
    Freeman dosen't look steep on the profile but it sure "feels" like it is!
    So you dropped down freeman, climbed back out, then dropped Camp Nelson and then climbed back up the highway.
    I think I would pay a stranger ha hah! That's a twisty highway to avoid getting killed on! :shock:
    Nice!

12. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    You can ride back up Peppermint Creek on fire roads to cut out a lot of the highway. But believe me much easier to just climb back up Freeman. Last time I did Peppermint Creek we got back to camp at Quaking Aspen just before midnight.

Dean

Mikie likes this.
  13. jfsh

jfsh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Enduro
    Yup, almost all the downed trees are gone. I removed 25 of them. I think I missed 1 or 2 of the lower ones because I came in from the top. That was a long day.

Mikie likes this.
  14. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Jeff you are the man, I miss ya. Doing Downieville with the Klinks in August. Last time I was there was with you interested? Give me or Craig a call.

Mikie likes this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hey Jeff,
    Jeez Man! Please let me know what I can do to support! Thank you very much. We really need to get riders up to ride that trail. There was a lot of debris on it from not getting ridden. Bear Creek is such a Gem I would hate for it to fade away...

16. jfsh

jfsh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Enduro
    Thanks Dean. Downieville sounds great but my August is already packed. We will have to get together some time.

Mike, getting people to help is always a challenge, not because they don't want to, but because it is hard to organize a trail day that far away. I didn't really know I was going to do that work until a day or 2 before. One thing I do go through doing this kind of work is chainsaw chains. When cutting stuff off of the trail you inevitably hit some dirt and rocks. I chunked one during Bear Creek. I probably go through 5 or 6 a year.

Mikie likes this.
  17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hey Jeff, can I at least buy you a couple of chains and some brews up at the Kern Brewery after our ride this weekend? :thumbup:
    (that's me throwing it out their and self inviting myself up hoping you might ride local) ;)
    Although the forecast looks pretty hot up there Saturday...97*??? Yikes!

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Okay, I give...where in the heck is this?

Mikie likes this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    @RwS...
    I split this Topic as it turned into a Trailhead Topic. See http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2621

jfsh's answer was,

hill^billy likes this.