RR: Alamo Mountain Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Nov 9, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    The buzz is still in my head...
    These are the kind of rides I'm really called to! It could be a point to point, it could be a loop, it doesn't matter. As long as it is uncertain in between...

@Voodoo Tom and I have been jones'in for an adventure ride and had a couple in mind. One we can't really talk about here until after we do it. :whistling: But the ride we did today Tom had been scheming for a while, and although there was no chance of getting shot at for poaching on this one, which could have made it boring, we "still" could possibly get shot by deer hunters. Lord knows they aint bagging any deer! :laugh::Roflmao

So we met at Smokey Bear Road off Interstate 5, loaded my bike and gear n his truck and then drove about 15 miles into the backcountry (just try and sue me for using the word backcountry, you p.o.s. backcountry.com! :cautious:) to our trailhead which would haul our azz's up 9 miles of climbing on the north side of Alamo Mountain to drop Miller Jeep Trail and then return on a singletrack named Piru Creek Trail back to Tom's truck. All sounded simple. But Tom had not been there in decades and I have never been there. We had no idea what condition the Piru Creek Trail was in and it could either be impassable, an all in hike-a-bike, or a trail with some rideability to finish off the day.

upload_2019-11-9_16-26-31.png

This ended up one of those 50 mile rides that was really only 17.5 miles and 4 hours in the field. We averaged around 5 miles per hour...

But this ride was worth it! It pushed ALL the buttons. Super long grind climb, bombing super chunky descent, singletrack, scruffy trail, hike-a-bikes, killer views, and no one to bug us!

The climb was long, and it was steep at times. When we got to the 6 mile marker it leveled out for 3 miles into gentle rolls. We ended up at a Camp and before we dropped Miller, I just had a feeling I needed to take a good look at my rear brakes. Tom was scaring me with this Miller Jeep Trail drop! Turns out my rear brakes were shot and we swapped them out hanging my bike on the Trail 129 Miller Jeep Trail sign. Man! I am so glad I did.

The Miller Jeep Trail is alot like the Rose Garden on the Kokopelli Trail, but instead of maybe a thousand feet, this trail went on for 3 miles! Dug it!

At the bottom we crossed Piru Creek again and made a right to jump on our condition unknown Piru Creek Trail and yes, it had it's surprises. Several water crossings, some serious chunk to even include a section of avalanche, edgy ledgy narrow trail, and bushwhacking fun. Everything that Tom and I look for in this kind of ride.

When we got back to the truck 4 hours later, the victory was sahweet!
    Would I do it again?
    Yeah, probably, the only bummer about that is now I know what to expect...
    :sneaky:

We parked at Gold Hill Campground. Pic looking East.
    DSCF3291.jpg

DSCF3292.jpg

The mountain in the background is Frazier Mountain.
    DSCF3293.jpg

Piru Creek crossing number one. Right at Gold Hill campground.
    DSCF3294.jpg

First pic looking back at Gold Hill campground. Tom’s truck off to the right.
    DSCF3295.jpg

This canyon heads East and feeds To Hardluck and Buck Creek Trail where Miss Cathy and I have been riding a lot lately.
    DSCF3297.jpg

Dead center at the lowest point in the pic is another shot of Gold Hill campground after just a couple of miles of climbing Alamo mountain.
    DSCF3299.jpg

Across the valley you can see a trail on the side of that mountain. That’s Trail 124 Gold Hill Trail. It’s a 10.1 mile out and back and now is on the to do list!
    DSCF3301.jpg

Looking out towards the Antelope Valley.
    DSCF3302.jpg

Strangest angle I have ever seen of Lockwood Valley far off in the distance. Getting close to the Miller Jeep Trail drop to the bottom of that canyon in the foreground.
    DSCF3303.jpg

Fixin’ rear brakes.
    DSCF3304.jpg

Dropping Miller Jeep Trail. This was the mega easy stuff! Yeah, yeah, yeah... it doesn’t look very steep. Come rider this with us and we’ll show you a 3 miler drop.
    DSCF3305.jpg

DSCF3307.jpg
    The rest of these pics are of Piru Creek Trail...
    DSCF3309.jpg

DSCF3312.jpg

DSCF3313.jpg

DSCF3314.jpg

DSCF3315.jpg

DSCF3316.jpg

DSCF3317.jpg

DSCF3321.jpg

DSCF3323.jpg

DSCF3324.jpg

DSCF3326.jpg

DSCF3327.jpg

DSCF3328.jpg

DSCF3329.jpg

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
  3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Cheers to those bestie adventure days!!
    Nice pics too:thumbsup:

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    I can hear the stoke oozing from your keyboard! Well done gents! :thumbsup: :cool:

5. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Wow guys! Good job

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Wow what a day!!! Been feeling way too much like a creature of habit and today's ride was exactly what I needed to refuel the fire. Adventure rides like this are truly what we both live for. This one was different though, we didn't hop a single fence, poach private property or break a single law for that matter but we still had an awesome time. This ride goes bike to my quad/moto/jeep days about 25 years ago. Back then I was a holy terror on 2 and 4 wheels and explored everything I could find. Today's ride was a total combination of all those days wrapped in to one. At one point in time I have traveled every inch of what we did today but it was on or in something with an engine and never all of this at the same time.

I've climbed Alamo several times on a full race quad at mach chicken speeds pretending I was riding Pikes Peak. Totally different grinding up it on a Hightower. Million dollar views that I never knew where there.

I've done Miller Jeep trail many times in various 4wd rigs. Only ever climbed it and it was always a challenge. One time way back in the day I had my jeep stood straight up in the air with only the rear spare tire holding me up and keeping me from barrel rolling to my death. Going down this trail on a mountain bike is next level fun and excitement. It really made me question my prior sanity though as today I cant fathom driving up that trail, especially in the hoop'd buckets I drove.

I rode Piru Creek trail once way back when on a trials motorcycle.25 years later I still remember it was really tough even with a motor. I actually think we rode more of the trail today on MTB's than most anybody ever has on a moto.

So knowing that we both needed an adventure I threw this out there and my fearless friend @Mikie was all in. I warned him many times that there where absolutely no guarantees and he didn't care. I'd never done all this the same day. I hadn't been in the area in probably 25 years. Who knows how much of it is rideable or even still there for that matter. Doesn't matter to him lets ride it and find out. Turns out everything was pretty much exactly as I remembered. One thing for sure is that there was not a single mile of this ride that was easy. We worked for all of them but had huge sh!t eating grins the whole way.

I have hours of video to scour through and even have about an hour of footage of the camera filming the back seat of my truck. Still looks good for an '05. Eventually when my computer isn't so pissed I'll put together a video of this. For now a sh!t ton of screen grabs should tell the story...

GOPR0290-0001.jpg

GOPR0291-0001.jpg

GOPR0291-0002.jpg

GOPR0291-0004.jpg

GOPR0291-0005.jpg

GOPR0291-0007.jpg

GOPR0294-0001.jpg

GOPR0297-0001.jpg

GOPR0298-0001.jpg

GOPR0298-0002.jpg

GOPR0300-0002.jpg

GOPR0303-0001.jpg

GOPR0303-0002.jpg

GOPR0304-0001.jpg

GOPR0304-0002.jpg

GOPR0306-0001.jpg

GOPR0307-0001.jpg

GOPR0308-0001.jpg

GOPR0309-0001.jpg

GOPR0309-0002.jpg

GOPR0309-0003.jpg

GOPR0311-0001.jpg

GOPR0313-0001.jpg

GOPR0316-0001.jpg

GOPR0316-0002.jpg

GOPR0318-0001.jpg

GOPR0318-0002.jpg

GOPR0321-0001.jpg

7. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Great report, guys! Love this, and I can feel the stoked. Any trout holding in Piru?

8. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    That was going to be my first question.

9. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Yep water was flowing pretty good and there were several large pools. Spoke to a guy who was fly fishing and he said he’d already caught a couple.

10. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Dam you guys are just loaded w/ trails in your surrounding area. Good read on both your reports! Great adventure.

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Badass!!!!!! You guys are masters at ferreting out the goods. SoCal gold, right under one million noses. TFPU :thumbsup:

12. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Nice work guys! That is the section of Piru I thought i'd be riding a couple years ago. Instead I got the full adventure version.

Are you sure that's an out and back @Mikie ? I had to look on satellite, looks like it goes all the way over to Lockwood Valley. Bushwack down an old 4x4 road next to Lockwood Creek right to bottom of Miller Jeep Tr. and there's your loop!

13. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Seems fitting for you guys to take it to the next level and start epically bike packing?

mike, Luis, mountaingirl sara and 3 others like this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I looked at that as well. The trail description claims it to be a 10.1 mile out and back, but the satellite image suggests a sweet Singletrack loop as you suggest. shahhhWing!

15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Good chit baby. You guys rock!

16. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I wouldn't bet on sweet singletrack. If I were you I'd be happy if it just goes through. Extra hike a bike added at no extra charge. :)

mike, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  17. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    LOVE it! Next time let me know. I'd love to join! It'd probably kill me, but be worth it.

18. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    I really enjoy your RR's, thanks for stopping to take so many pictures!

mountaingirl sara, mike and Mikie like this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Finally got some video downloaded. Warning it's long but fun...

20. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    @Voodoo Tom, did I see some tracks from other bikers on the Piru Creek trail or were all of those @Mikie's?

BTW, I'd like to make a reservation to do this ride please.

21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    I think there was a set of moto tracks for part of the way. I'm guessing they probably turned around though cause they disappeared after a while.

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yazzzzz!
    That was awesome!
    I’m thinking first opportunity we go do the Gold Hill Trail and think about coming back on Piru Creek Trail. That could end up around around 17 hard all Singletrack miles!

23. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    That Piru trail is no joke! Good riding Hooligans.

24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Saturday? :whistling:

mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  25. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Looks like a lot of fun in places, but I’ve gone soft and am not a fan of bush whacking.

26. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Mikie and Tom, ever consider riding up into the upper Snowy trail? There's some good single track up there.

27. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Maybe I'm not looking at the same route as you. I'm pretty positive what I'm looking at is mostly dirt road, aside from that section of Piru Creek trail. I do see a possible alternate descent for a couple miles but that looks pretty rustic.

The first ~12miles are the route I saw. At that point I see what could be a trail that heads back north. Otherwise to get to Piru keep going down Lockwood Creek https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31448702

I'd love to check this out with you but won't be able to til first weekend in December.

28. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    AKAKTM, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?