RR: A.T. The Rossage Way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Got called out by @rossage to put my money where my mouth is, and ride today since I was off work for the holidays. Well... I don't have any money, but I have my bike. But since I know it won't fit in my mouth (even as big as my mouth is :rolleyes:) I know I could "ride" it. So I took him up on it...

He gave the option of G.E., A.T., or D.D's. I had just ridden G.E. and had no idea what trail D.D.'s were ( I got sucked in on that one :cautious:) I chose A.T. since it had been a while. Turns out that D.D.'s was "Double D's", yeah those kinds... So I told him I had that covered domestically at home...:whistling:

9:30am at the baseball diamonds in Acton was the meet time and since it was the home court advantage of @hill^billy there was some chatter he would appear but I was not certain. I showed up (naturally on time) to find rossage already there sitting in his ominous white van with the side and back windows cardboarded out (creepy), but thankfully he got out as I pulled up. No little kids or hookers ran out as he opened the side doors of the van... whew!

As we got ready, up pulls hill^billy with his bike. We got excited for about 30 seconds until he stated he was trying out another trail near by as he had a short time to ride, then had to go suck some housewife's rug.
    Uhhh... he's a professional...
    CARPET CLEANER! sheesh! get your minds out of the gutter!:rolleyes:

So we said our hi's and goodbye's and headed out.

The one, the only... @hill^billy!
    DSCF1051.jpg

The day's statistics.
    A.T.new.top.PNG

There is probably an exaggerated million ride reports on here about A.T. but today was kinda unique as it was just Ross and I, the weather was chilly and threatened rain throughout the day (which it did rain on us several times), and, we got to a new top at the furthest point of the trail...

The first section is a very punchy climb to a saddle, then roller coasters along, then settles in to it's classic twisty self. If you have not done A.T. I can officially say, you are totally blowing it. O.C. brothah's and sistah's, you need to come up and ride this with me. You. Will. Not. Regret. It...

Ross, to the first saddle.

DSCF1053.jpg

A.T. is all twisty singletrack of the best kind with lots and lots of exposure!

DSCF1056.jpg

DSCF1063.jpg

Heck! I even got "my" picture taken, thanks Ross!

Once you pass the Arrastre Aliso Cuttoff, an access road for a mining operation, you start the climb that takes you to the top of Mount Gleason. Well... almost. But it is well on it's way and there are several to thank for that who have been diligent over the last 6 years.

Today is the first day I have rode the climb virtually non stop to the top stop point (we stopped for like 5 minutes about a half mile from the top to get some energy food in us, I just sucked down some Tailwinds from my camelbak). Everything was climbable, not like I remember the last time I had got as far as I did. I did get off at one small section as it was slippery from the rain. I was a little tired and let Ross pass me as we neared the top. When we got to the Miners Road (a place I have never been), the view was amazing. We could see the Tehachapi's, Edwards Air Force base and the mountains past that!

The Rossinator.

DSCF1067.jpg
    We took our time to enjoy the view and to walk around a bit to see where the Miner road went to on it's way down. looks like there is a single track that runs the ridge. Another option in the future! You can also see the Miner Road heading to the next summit above. Totally doable and excited to get there next time!

A New Yorkish Italian Attitude for some of the Pics. There's no explaining it.

DSCF1070.jpg

Below is the trail we came up. Onward is the Miner Road reduced to trail, to the next Summit!

DSCF1071.jpg

Pointing out the trail we came up. Yeah, it's a nice long classic now. Big time!

DSCF1073.jpg

Looking North towards Acton.

DSCF1075.jpg

I lead down as we headed back, so much descending now! The trail is Very narrow and mostly decomposed granite so very stable when wet, but there was a couple places saturated and of a different dirt, at one point I went sideways where there is no room for sideways on this trail :eek:. I'm not sure how I got through that. Another time I turned right but my bike kept going straight sliding on slick mud and my handlebars caught a dead branch and launched me off my bike. No blood or damage so we laughed. Apparently Ross launched behind me at one point as well, shortly later. The dirt was perfect!

I felt like I had the Christmas Turkey to cut up as I was carving that trail!:thumbsup: The hero dirt made you feel like you could do no wrong! Deep dives into the corners, ultimate traction. I wanted to go for a KOM but Ross wanted to cruise and that was fine too!

The day was awesome.

The Death Chute. Anyone that has done it, knows it. Pointing my camera to the sky I get a couple of pics of rossage getting-r-done.
    DSCF1078.jpg
    DSCF1079.jpg

Back at the Trailhead. Another successful ride. Another New York Italian attitude. I can't explain it...

DSCF1082.jpg

Got back to the vehicles, changed and hit up In-N-Out in Santa Clarita. An awesome day with my good friend Ross.

Merry Christmas!

Danmtchl, Faust29, Oaken and 24 others like this.
  2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    You guys suck (In a I'm jealous/I had to work/imtbtrails kinda way..). Such a gem of a trail.

Danmtchl, Makoto, scan and 8 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Thanks for the reportage, and congrats on a successful ride.

By hook or crook I will join you for some of your goods this season, Mikie.

Danmtchl, Bluesrider, PATKOUG and 6 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    AT is just so good when the weather sucks.
    Mikie, thanks for coming out....to the ride! What an awesome day in the saddle.

Foul weather gear notes:
    Cool, wet, and windy weather allowed me to wear just a wicking tee and thin arm covers under my Showers Pass eVent jacket. Love a well-ventilated jacket!
    Thin wool gloves worked great but I carried some spares in case it got wetter.
    Shimano MW-7 shoes kept the feet warm and dry, using just regular cycling socks

5. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Yep! Awesome! To think it almost burned again, I can't express the joy that trail brings to me, to know it is alive and well! I'm motivated! :thumbsup: Great report as always!

Danmtchl, jaime, mike and 6 others like this.
  6. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    it's been a while, gotta get back there

Danmtchl, mike, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  7. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Nice Van......

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Very cool. As above I had to work on my day off too. Then got stranded by the Bomb squad mobile . Needed some new juice (batteries). Ready to rock now!

Danmtchl, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  9. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great ride reports Mikie. That trail is so awesome we are lucky to have such a gem close to home. When you are on it it seems like you are somewhere other than Acton. The only thing that sucks is you knocked me down to 8th on Even High- E.T. and AT you bastard!!

Danmtchl, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Picture slot machine strikes again. Anybody been riding AT lately?

Danmtchl, UPSed, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  11. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Ain’t nobody got time for dat ;)

Danmtchl, Mikie and rossage like this.
  12. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    After the 12th I do. :thumbsup:

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    My mind says yes, yes, yes! :thumbsup: But my mind is trying to write checks my body can't cash yet...:unsure:

Danmtchl, kioti, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  14. BIKEMONSTER

BIKEMONSTER Member

Name:
    BIKEMONSTER
    Current Bike:
    Vintage Stumpjumper
    "...Anybody been riding AT lately?"

Oh heel no. Not this time of year.

Come to think of it, nobody ever rides it during Winter Season either! :thumbsup:

...except maybe Scottay