RR: 6 over 3 in 2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by schillingsworth, Sep 21, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    What the heck does that mean??

6 rides over 3 days in 2 states!! Road trip back to CO for a summit attempt of Mt. Elbert, Colorado's highest peak at 14, 433'. I'll post a link to the full trip report when I finish it, but in the meantime I guess this is a teaser...
    nBak5QmC4WuIB0VghJ7E_8T-5GuE1GRgR0k5Zr47fijXMHPutZVzvfeOrEkAAQiLflw3VxNVB6wMqumyyy=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    Fresh coat of snow at Molas Pass, looks great, but not what I wanted to see when attempting to ride up a 14er the next day.

XWXAPL_m-QEf2Yr4vFG9jHCnVrVkAOot8CeJQ5dqD5nWBB5zgds3Xc1_3_HkmxYDPqDOYSTbvN1aN8lVar=w1280-h645-no.jpg
    Ride 1: RATS in Ridgway, CO. Some stupidly fun trails there. Kinda like Phil's World with more climbing.

ZkfHq2P80YyXmqaF2neFbxJ2drymwcvXxqWMTw5Nfp63AI4p478hSzbJAOBH79xmf39f1aF58HRYOIio7g8dEdqK=s894-no.jpg
    Great signage too!! Good thing I rode this in the 'other direction'!!

Later that day I arrived in Gunnison for a tour of Hartman Rocks with my friend, Rachel.
    ROPcDfWCbssyjlo-fyRHNn_pmH6t0R770abQC3al643yasHYIE-HC_Uw5iydj0yVaWYVvChpJlsKPdF7Ro=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    A short spin up Jack's and we had views for days.

CJol0j4E9atMtqbyC8emLydEclh6IZ8xPK4KOqKNQ7l15k1L_n7mQY2JQJ-tXlC8OaJXhz5jrRO--xYbpYBqBQ-R=s894-no.jpg
    Rachel zigzagging through the rocks.

I made my way over to Twin Lakes and found a camping spot near the S. Elbert TH. Autumn was in full swing.
    x39q7loNBGtu9uMD6Hy7I81g2tfXd_yVbRMuBRt5O2ELUnVMw6ewDUAMuUdiuTjfdGS_Lr3NRlKdPbHti7=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    Starting to gain some serious elevation above Twin Lakes, CO.

ywTD9SmMOnvbtk8LxSUiZPKcAEl5bzsy0RqvSEidVDpFgkGXyG1gpic_rFr_QRjkHR9PK_ZOGM5shDj5Bn=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    Lots of hikers...and other bikers!! Summit is up to the right, still a ways off.

h9zZ4Iwzsu2u_nzoXJVoN14-FS9zLzv2hLKx63l08VZeOAY5HwvNx90SdyU47YsAmPYu2_QEKqsjbx195-=w1192-h894-no.jpg
    Made it!! My phone froze up, so a hiker snapped this pic & emailed it to me that night!! It was in the mid-30's with 30-40 mph winds all the way up!!

Time to point it downhill!! A bit of downhill HAB over some chunky switchback sections and on a few steep pitches when my brakes failed to slow me down!! I had to ride off trail on one occasion to arrest my increasing speed!!
    nd1hRggOcM39XiXlSq_ayPpQ9SAGwHggfPh28UGkUA_vIwy0jtyLB7jGWL0-sXSkBOx9ZVx00lMFxhJZwBT=w503-h895-no.jpg
    See? The Colorado Trail CAN be fun!! Buffed out singletrack, dry conditions, sunny and miles of downhill bliss back to the S. Elbert TH.

It was still early, so I headed down to Salida for an afternoon spin in the Arkansas Hills.
    cEXVLcxXIyFsMwK6oTwShqdl5yA6p74j3J6KciE3NgX9yhOwxna9YmxqwhJOlXY7UsJWgq1HE46chdjnmZ=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    More new-to-me terrain. Did not suck.

nST_ORI0WxjGfGOPUvzqqq_pM5-LfUXDjeiTJyZQmhc1TMBuSnEFXfxGPg1O060trCXWX1PxAxsmUJLkuC=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    Winner, winner...

rdfmABOqp_pceZgHdnxd7cfaeCHw3Ywj3ggwqMVgTb9-JrnhWhZmO-_m8GFhN_JT8X7QvIzNh5crvLQmLz=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    Good mantra to strive for.

I met up with my buddy, Aaron, for a burger & brew then found a camp spot south of town in Penitente Canyon.
    psJ_t3w-OLGEGfmHXEqM0i5-PKjXdyiyUFUBukgEAba7Xtw8H9S4EPDJI--aPZPwZDOSReoR2Hi7NNzkMx=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    The trails at Penitente Canyon had a very Gooseberry Mesa feel.

QbrGNCQuCDUAN-EcWzDA2DjQ5XYhFUE34JES8uMfmz3TduaNGwBYKOQu2JcAWj40RZgRUccJJTY9ex0gEM=w1280-h888-no.jpg
    Cool rock formations throughout.

Gotta hit the road so I'm not home too late, but what's this I see?? On Trailforks I spy an 8-9 mile intermediate loop near Aztec, NM. Screw it, I'm making good time. What's one more ride?
    KIGo0ZVxJopmsRWYzeAs9jTaxTYnKYl1EBLJOd9kVOne8sHsebnA_tP929b1f6impnRxeZNkEYAxCl5W3uX=w672-h894-no.jpg
    It just sounds like a cool place to ride.

UO6cLQz8MaBSRsf1VFTo5Qauksq76gegWRjzSa1M3vfqIc3du2SmiFSqxjys1w2n9tocfup5Mdwr_XE0cc=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    Fast singletrack connecting slickrock play areas!!

Fdb5AEUUcxadLYLRwocvH_FTh6L2IBHXYccgyFIpyA1QuMu_6UBBk--VDRxe4dB202D_2vlJC756G_JTAc=w1280-h720-no.jpg
    Interesting natural features on the trail.

0KjlCBye2-iuyPJffeUj03spxKYqn94gy4ra99cVglVQK843DLNUm3iSaDKqYJqYrQgpz4PwX4EKn7M9CkG=w716-h894-no.jpg
    The Black Hole had some advanced slickrock moves, so fun!!

kip6ynJrN8kSLLPkx1H1hpqUOYSLY6d01rIWiFIcrBcGGWldjKaWspC6jgMktNE8fv4LJ2LP4uxaqtZKUuj=w716-h894-no.jpg
    Start dreaming of your next adventure...then make it happen!!

Go ride.

HBkites, Faust29, pperrelle and 30 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    I really want to hate you!
    But I just can't!
    Your photography is gripping, and verbiage is fun. Stop dicking around and get yourself in some magazines. Heck! I'll post your stuff over here: http://imtbtrails.com/magazine/ with links to your Blog!
    Nice!
    Mikie
    (I wanna take pictures like you)

3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Great RR.. even better picture taking !!!

4. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Sick!
    Thanks for posting :coffee:

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Solid gold! Awesome, John. TFPU!

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    OMG I Hate you!!!! :eek: :geek: :confused:

BEAUTIFUL photos and such great riding! :thumbsup:

That Twin Lakes shot! ... and the Molas Pass pic - :inlove::inlove::inlove:

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    I put off reading this, as I figured I would enjoy it most when I could sit and focus on it. Not disappointed! Thanks for taking the time to put it together!
    I'm going to try to make one of those dream catchers BTW!

8. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Sigh.... Good On Ya Mate...TFPU.... me....someday.....someday...someday.....

schillingsworth and Tom the Bomb like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    Thanks once again for sharing your adventures. :thumbsup:

Much enjoyed!

schillingsworth and Tom the Bomb like this.
  10. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Thanks all. No riding this past weekend, spent it with the wife in Savannah, GA. BTW, if any of you ever head east to AZ, hit me up and I'll gladly show you the goods.

MattB and mike like this.
  11. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    It took me a while, but I'm finally starting to play catch up on the blog. Here's the full ride report from the Mt. Elbert trip:

Elberto!!

SnakeCharmer and MolarM like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Looks so great!!!

schillingsworth and herzalot like this.
  13. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    Great RR. I really like the dream catcher on the rim.

schillingsworth likes this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    My goal is to replicate that! I have the rim and tire, just need to get some yard or cord to make it happen!

schillingsworth likes this.
  15. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
  16. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Cool!! March is one of my favorite months in the desert as the wildflowers should be popping...if it ever rains again. I'll be out on my Queen's Ransom bikepacking loop from March 2-5 (OPEN invite, BTW) & Sat. March 10th is the brand new AES Ripsey event, 30 & 60 mile races on some great sections of the Arizona Trail. Let me know when the time gets near.

17. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    Hit me up if you want some to meet up with some fast guys in Phoenix. There is a pretty consistent group that rides at Hawes/McDowell Mountain Park/Brown's Ranch.

DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I don't do 'fast' very well. I typically only get out 1-2 times per week and choose to go big instead. :) Those are fun places to ride though. I may hit up Hawes on Friday...

Want to donate to imtbtrails?