RR: 2019 Hell Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Cyclotourist, Oct 26, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    It wasn't Hellacious, and it wasn't Heavenly. Something right there between the two! Three buses full at around 40 people each, plus a lot of self-shuttlers, and a crew of Crazy Bears out there still in the dark, probably getting home tomorrow. Those that have done it, know what it's like. The only news is that it was uneventful!

Buddy JB and I rolled at around 8:30 or so, after helping unload the second truck. Then pretty much rode and rode and rode! Big stop at the top of MCR which was pretty raucous. Another long weight at the trailhead below Morton Peak (damn that climb). I ended up riding the whole thing, although gave myself lots of outs. I was barely moving by the end, and should have bailed earlier. Luckily no gravity-assisted incidents. Although we pulled three people back onto the trail through the course of the day!

Saw @Postal Pat @konakc @DangerDirtyD @Pro_Leisure @MrGreedom and @TrailSlayer for sure. @Luis must not have been there, as I didn't see him winning all the swag bags at the raffle!!! Great beer, and adequate pizza at the end, with no bumps, scrapes, contusions, rashes, breaks, concussions, or hurt feelings. Pretty fine day in the mountains!

48966200191_67b826d13f_b.jpg

48966444657_f81ce05818_b.jpg

48965778813_feaab61433_b.jpg

48965654508_fc2fedd690_b.jpg

48966436787_1ee6c724ce_b.jpg

48966444442_d503208d8b_b.jpg

2. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Good to see u.. glad that u r back!

3. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Name:
    Warren Hornaday
    Current Bike:
    2013 Giant Anthem X 29er
    From a different perspective! Wow what fun time. After 5 years of riding the HellRide and it being one of my most favorite rides every year, it was difficult to make the decision to sit this one out. As my Business www.3pzglobal.com has been growing I decided this year to play a support roll. It was so much fun chatting with everyone that stopped by and got refueled at the aid station. So many familiar faces, if you stopped by and I didn't recognize you I'm sorry. When riding I never really grasp the sheer number of folks out there on the trail. You guys and gals cleaned out the aid station this year. Amazing good time was had. It's looking like you can look for me at an aid station at Pioneer Town Giddyup 50 in the spring as well. Really looking forward to giving back and supporting the community that has been supporting me all these years. Thank you to all the riders that made this a fun and memorable experience.

20191026_091752.jpg

20191026_094353.jpg

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Great job, David, JB and everyone who finished or tried to! Nice reportage, TFPU.

Damn, you down-southers are coming to life bigly down there. Summer must be over!!!

Tom the Bomb, Luis, scan and 8 others like this.
  5. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    I wasn't planning on doing this ride but someone couldn't make it and since I had the day off I said yes when they asked me to go. For a ride with a lot of descending you end up pedaling uphill a bunch:laugh: had no idea what to expect having never been there before but it had everything, fun single track, scary exposure, fast fire roads, some tough climbing for me anyways, and a lot of fun bs'ing along the way. Started with a group of 8 from SCV and ended with 9 after running into a buddy. Got to say hello to @Cyclotourist as we loaded up. Had a few wrong turns no injuries one broken derailleur near the bottom which he was able to singlespeed and pedal back to the car, but it was still an awesome time.

IMG_20191026_191826_466.jpg

IMG_20191026_191826_464.jpg

6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Ohhh, that's where you were/who you are... I get it now! I should have said hi!!!

Your group was rolling deep!!! I think the other big group out there was the Corona Composite HS team. They were tearing it up! Great to hear this was your first time on it, hope all expectations were exceeded!!!

Here's me conquering the corner that bit me last year! Pretty tough stuff, you can all see how I got in way over my head here!!!

48967984218_2bc9a420f7_b.jpg

~JB~, Tom the Bomb, Luis and 14 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Thee-time raffle winner! I've always left with more than the $20 I put into tickets!IMG_20191027_132357_619.jpg

~JB~, Tom the Bomb, Luis and 14 others like this.
  8. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Looks and sounds like fun! May have to give this a try next year if it doesn’t coincide with another big one;)

Tom the Bomb, Luis, Walleye and 5 others like this.
  9. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    So I guess it's ok to post 'other' mtb groups??;). J kidding Pat. I'll get to that ride someday, although I ride the top portion often

10. Postal Pat

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    I've been known to double dip :laugh:

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Or is it two timing.....

12. Postal Pat

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    That too

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Nice haul! It looks like another great Hell Ride... :thumbsup: Glad you made it through that technical section this time around. :p

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah, those Revgrips sell for $90on Jensen!

15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Not fair! The festival was over and everyone left before the Nuggets even had a chance to participate. We were left to perish on the mountain. Thank goodness @konakc was there to represent!

However, I recognize the work you put into the event, helping load the bikes and coordinate staff well before the sunrise. You deserve the MTB schwag! i was gonna take a candid photo of you in the lit u-haul with dozens of bikes piled in the background, but the damn shuttle kept rushing me to get ready, get in, move it, let’s go...:cautious:

Anyway, I have the image in my mind, and it’s rad.

16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I'm shocked (!) that more people aren't taken out by that corner! There basically needs to be an ambulance stationed there!

Whoa!

You said you were going to be late, and I thought you were just messin' around!!! And ahhh <blush>... thanks! I really have very little to do with it... the B4B folks put a LOT of time into this event. They have jobs, kids, spouses, and this is a huge labor of love. Props to them, and no stolen valor for me!!!

17. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Way to go guys and gals. The standard Hell Ride route is fun enough.
    Way to muster the SCV group @Postal Pat
    I don’t think OTB had much representation besides Burt.
    The stars did not align for me this year, so if you won some swag, you’re welcome ;):p

18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Burt was waving the Chicken Nugget flag on Saturday!

The 4-Piece Nugget Combo ran sweep the entire way, contacted the sheriff 4 times, and made sure David didn’t die.

41E0C6BD-40FE-4DF2-AB57-3E85E33843C2.jpeg
    Don’t be fooled by the line up in @burt ‘s photo...@konakc blew past us a few pedal strokes later while perming his cat and vacuuming his lawn.

driffter33, ~JB~, Postal Pat and 9 others like this.
  19. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Saaaaweeeeet!

Luis, DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?