Rossage down!

Discussion in 'Health' started by rossage, Sep 28, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Of course I noticed. Had to keep him on his toes anyway. All in fun as he knows. :thumbsup:

2. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

That’s what I figured you would do Ross, which is a good plan. You have to get it processed. Anyway, after my blood clot in my optic nerve the doc wanted me on statins, I chose fish oil, so far so good?

3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Did he know you mtbike? I bet that helped your heart!

4. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Word ladders!!!

rossage, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I remember that!! It was fun. Got to meet @Danimal and @N8 whatever his name was too!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I was referring to you and Snake. Regardless, group ride @ Oaks in support of Rossage!

No ... that would suck. Oaks is ridiculously crowded these days. :gag: Carry on.

rossage, Faust29, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I would love for this scare, discussion, and advice to expand into to more discussions related to healthy eating.
    Cathy just came back from blood work to hear her cholesterol was high. Pissed her off. I have hovered for years as being diabetic, which really confuses me. I always thought we ate pretty healthy, like how eff'in healthy do we have to eat to BE healthy?!?! Right?

For breakfast nearly every day (right now) I eat almonds and dried figs with green tea with a little stevia as sweetener. Cmon man! :rolleyes:

Stkx66, herzalot, Obsidian and 11 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... I know you love your Subway sandwiches on ride day. An Irish court just ruled that they contain too much sugar to be classified as bread. o_O

Stkx66, herzalot, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    @scan , I have tried to stay in shape my whole life. The looks on the faces of the medical personnel when I tell them I take no prescription meds (before this), no diabetes, or HBP, is classic.
    I got a couple of double takes and "really?".
    Several have commented that my fitness contributed to my survival.
    I have also met a couple of mtbers who work in the hospital and they are very supportive. One guy said he rides the front range regularly and may have seen me out there on my hardtail.
    Here's where the stent was placed
    Screenshot_20200930-211137__01.jpg

@Mikie I think that having a diet thread running would be great. It may get a little wild with differing opinions, and even religious preference but hey, let it run. I will be looking for ways to improve my diet.
    I will also be partnering with @Luis, @Faust29 , and others in search of the holy grail...healthy Tacos!

OTHRider, Stkx66, bvader and 17 others like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

You sure you want to know? It get’s complicated! And of course there are no guarantees! Get it done though, some don’t get red flags or bitch slaps?

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Redman and 3 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Makes sense. Everyone knows that in Ireland bread comes in a pint glass of Guinness.

13016912_master.jpg

herzalot, Mikie, Obsidian and 8 others like this.
  12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Skarkey's Power Plate FTW. Grilled shrimp/broccoli/yams. My go to post-Cheese meal.

OTHRider, Stkx66, Luis and 8 others like this.
  13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

And unfortunately it usually takes the bitch slap for the person to realize they are ALL in!

14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But shrimp (and all shellfish) is really high in cholesterol. :facepalm:

15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer's as well. I get their battered fish tacos.

16. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Heal up, @rossage! Sounds like the best outcome from a scary situation!

17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Sadly, no matter how much we try to eat healthy, it all comes down to your genetics. If high cholesterol runs in your family, then guess what? More than likely you're going to have high cholesterol too. My diet has varied quite a bit, as has my weight, over the last 40 years and my cholesterol has always been around 160. As far as diabetes goes, it doesn't run in our family but my mother developed it in her 70s and was told it was quite common in older folks. All I know is the older you get the stricter your diet has to be If you want to maintain a certain weight. It doesn't take much cheating for me to tack on 5 lbs and it seems like it takes forever to take it back off.

OTHRider, bvader, herzalot and 15 others like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Broccoli. Now that's something that I just cannot stomach. Something about it makes the taste totally unpalatable to me. I've tried it every way, just don't like it.
    But, broccoli, and several other veggies are hybrids of cabbage. Now being a good Irishman, I've had my share of corned beef and cabbage, but it's nothing compared to how much I eat in a Chinese home.
    They call it bai tsai(napa), or lianhua tsai(round) and it is a staple food in our home. Tastes great, and it's like a bottle brush for the colon.
    I have been told my goals are to reduce my cholesterol intake to as close to zero as possible.
    Also, I need to have my wife modify her cooking for me to remove any free oil, you know, oil that's added or used to cook the food. Deep fried anything should be avoided.
    Most cheese should be avoided though there are somewhat healthy varieties that use skim milk or other low fat milks.

I have also gone two 24 hour runs without food here in the hospital. That's due to the timing of tests and procedures. Last night's dinner was my first food in over 30 hours!
    Then when I was weighed this morning, I have lost 4 pounds doing nothing but laying down.
    Maybe intermittent fasting has a place in my future?
    Watch out! The Rossage will be back lighter, and with Titanium performance upgrades. Doctor had a good laugh at that one.

So this morning is the first time I stood up since Sunday night. Since then I have been prone, or slightly elevated head on the bed. My incision site is closed and I'm looking forward to taking a real poop on a real toilet a little later.
    Just waiting on the Doctor to set me free...

Stkx66, bvader, PATKOUG and 23 others like this.
  19. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    There is a Doc I follow (Peter Attia) whose practice is obsessively dedicate to longevity. Not just living long, but kicking ass long into life. He says often that he feels fasting is the most powerful tool that we have in the fight against aging and chronic inflammatory disease. I stuck to an Intermittent Fasting/Time Restricted Feeding diet for about a year, though I did break the fast early on ride days. I personally felt a lot of benefits, but I simply couldn't keep enough weight on regardless of how much I ate in my feeding window (blessed and cursed with a raging metabolism). I have been meaning to try a different approach with it (quarterly multi-day fasts), but just haven't mustered the motivation yet. Anyway, if you like, or can at least tolerate some high nerd factor, in the weeds discussion of nutrition and fasting, his podcasts may be worth a listen. Dr. Rhonda Patrick is another one.

OTHRider, Stkx66, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  20. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    But also is a good, or at least decent source of Omega 3. There is a school of thought that is gaining momentum pointing at fallacy in the current/old school way of thinking about and measuring cholesterol. I've only read about it in a cursory sense, so can't speak about it intelligently. It's something I've been meaning to take more of a deep dive on, as I am genetically predisposed to high cholesterol, and mine is currently in the gray area of being too high in the context of that traditional school of thought.

I'm glad we're discussing all of this. Though intellectually I know I can't shove BS down my face hole just because I exercise, in practice that doesn't always play out. I still maintain that the tacos we ate on Sunday were perfectly acceptable though.

herzalot, Luis, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  21. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

There are silent majority health freaks rocking it here all with a slightly different approach. Eyes and ear open? ;):sleep:

Faust29, Mikie, Redman and 7 others like this.
  22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Oh, I agree on the changing thought. As @UPSed stated, genetics are a very strong indicator of what happens with your cholesterol regardless of diet. Same with many other things; genetics are much more indicative than we used to think.

Faust29, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I love broccoli! I eat it at least once a week. It tastes GREEN.

OTHRider, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  24. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oh, I see, now I know what's wrong with you.
    You taste colors...Me too. I like the taste of "green"

25. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Getting out of here in a few minutes. This adventure will continue from the comfort of my own home.
    Fück yeah!

OTHRider, Stkx66, bvader and 25 others like this.
  26. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I just checked...My stent is in the same spot LAD.
    In 6 weeks you should be able to ride normal rides.
    I was on some stent related meds (I can't remember its name) that limited my HR for 12 months, but had minor affect on my daily life (including riding).

As for diet. More green less animal based portion (meat and dairy). When you load up your plate it should be mostly cover by vegies.
    Reducing sugar supposedly help. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to this stuff.

herzalot, Luis, Old&InTheWay and 10 others like this.
  27. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

ROCK IT ROSSAGE! And don’t eat any sausage!

28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Ahhh yeah!

29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    upload_2020-10-1_12-20-42.jpeg

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The box looks tasty... especially now that it’s cardboard and not styrofoam. :thumbsup: