Rose to Toads, Lake Tahoe, Monday 9/2/2019

Discussion in 'Rides That are 30 Plus Miles' started by mike, Jun 24, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, did @rossage finally make the TH form disappear? :geek: Yea, I haven't been around much... :unsure:

The other thread I started on this Tahoe Area MTB Assoc (TAMBA) organized ride could be axed; was just tossing out a random thought. Now it's not random, I'm doing this ride and encouraging anyone to come up for the challenge.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2019-tamba-rose-to-toads-registration-49975631459

The shuttle appears to be sold out, but not the ride. I will have my own shuttle, so am on R2T shuttle stand-by only just in case. Have room for a couple of other bikes and bodies. I would not get too hung up on the shuttle – something will work out no matter what.

I've ridden all of this route, but not all in the SB direction in a push. So I do have a good handle on navigation and other logistics; a rider unfamiliar with the route could ride with me. There is no group start. I plan to start ahead of the fast guys (read: almost everyone) so there's beer left when I get to the end. They meet at the finish @6am then shuttle groups up to the start to spread out the field. I'll be on dawn patrol at the start well before the maniacs get there. The eventrbrite page shown 121 registrants, but many of those are listed twice due to the separate ride/shuttle stand-by ticket structure.

September 2 is basically two months away, so you can get plenty of elevation training in SoCal beforehand. And as I mentioned, Downieville will be in full swing then, and it's :90 from here. I would be way up for a day there after R2T. If shuttling D-ville is not your bag, there is loads of stuff to do locally. Including chilling at the beach. :cool:

Don't do it primarily because you like to race – do it for the awesomeness of the area, the quality of the trails, and to throw down a little $ for local heroes TAMBA. Yes, do it for the self-challenge, too! It's gonna be deliciously brutal!!!!! The tourists will be mostly gone. Come up and get the goods. :thumbsup:

What did I forget to mention?

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The TH invite form..... Ha!

I have done this ride but in two sections, on different days. The awesome meter was pegged from the first pedal stroke.
    Technically hard. Aerobically hard. Mentally hard. But so worth it.

But,
    It's opening weekend of the LA county fair.
    It's Labor Day.
    It's 9 hours away.

Never say never... :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @rossage: Your seasonal work is a legit excuse, bud. Crazy stuff does happen, tho... :cool:

This description which I put in the other thread needs to be included here:

Over 62 miles in length with 8,000+ feet of climbing and 10,000+ feet of descent, this is the most amazing (and tough) mountain bike ride. What started off as a hair-brained idea with a few friends many years ago, pre-TAMBA rebirth, is now one of our signature events attracting crazy people from all around the country. It takes most people all day to complete the ride while showcasing some of the best trails linking Tahoe's North Shore from Mount Rose down to Lake Tahoe's South Shore ending on the famous Mr. Toads Wild Ride. It's not a race but the ride can be as intense as you want it to be, join us and be part of something awesome!

DISCLAIMER: This ride is self supported, there is no sweep or sag, be prepared for anything.

Please read the following!!!

Rose to Toads is not your everyday run of the mill mountain bike ride. It is hard…. like really hard! Maybe you’ve ridden 60 miles before on a mountain bike, but add in unrelenting technical climbs, some hike a bike, and the elevation and this will be one of the hardest rides you ever do.

Do you need to have rest stops every 20 miles with water and snacks waiting for you? Then this is NOT the ride for you. There will not be any more rest stops after the first half of the ride. The first half of the ride is the easiest half of the ride. You need to be prepared with enough water or a water filter.

Do you need to have every trail intersection signed for you? Then this is NOT the ride for you. You need to be able to follow the route on a map or on your GPS. Also, it’s a long ride and your phone may not make it the entire way, so don’t rely only a phone for navigation.

FAQs

What's the refund policy?

Absolutely no refunds, but for $15 we would be happy to transfer your ticket to another rider.

How long does it take to ride from Mount Rose to Mr. Toads?

Super fast times are about 8-9 hours, average times are around 10-11 hours, and some people finish in the dark.

Do we ride together as a group the entire time?

No, the ride gets spread out pretty fast and not everyone starts at the same time either. You’ll probably leap frog with people and find a comfortable pace with a few other riders who want to be social. We also do not do a mass start to try and spread out in the beginning.

Do I have to ride all the way to Toads?

Of course not, this is a fun ride and there are many options to ride back down to lake level sooner than Toads.

What bike should I ride?

The ideal bike has gears, weighs around 30lbs or less, and has between 4” to 6” of suspension front and rear.

What do you mean by a self-supported ride?

There is no one out there that will save you if your bike explodes or you get hurt, there is no sweep or sag to pick you up. Please carry everything you need to fix mechanicals, extra food and water. Also, there is very limited phone service along the route. Bring a print map if you don’t know the route and ride along with others.

I heard there are rest stops, where are they and what’s at them?

We have two rest stops along the first half of the ride, the first will be at Spooner Summit on the west side of Highway 50 in the Rim Trail parking lot, the other will be just past Kingsbury Grade. We’ll have a variety of sweet and salty snacks along with drinks. There will not be any more rest stops and only limited access to mountain water (a lake and a few streams) after you get back on the Rim Trail after the 2nd rest stop.

How well marked is the route?

There is standard trail signage and a few temporary signs specific to this ride at key intersections. That said there are a few variations on the ride, so know where you’re going. Ultimately if you stay on the Tahoe Rim Trail heading south you will get to Toads... eventually!

Why does TAMBA put on this ride? Wouldn’t this be the most awesome Enduro race ever?

We put this ride on every year as a member benefit and to showcase the amazing riding in Tahoe. Please be courteous to all other trail users, this is not a race! Tell them what you are doing and how badass it is. Have fun, we want to create lasting experiences.

Where to Stay

Hotels/Motels : Check here for a list of hotels. We recommend the following hotels: Inn By the LakeCedar Pines Resort Motel 6 (dog friendly) Tahoe Seasons Resort,Tahoe Beach Retreat.
    Camping: There are many campgrounds in the area; however camping is very popular in the summer months, so make sure to reserve your spot well ahead of time. Check out the Forest Service’s list of campgrounds in Tahoe KOA Luther Pass Overflow Camping (Free!!) City of South Lake Tahoe Campground Fallen Leaf Lake Campground Camp Richardson Campground

4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    This sounds awesome, but not a ride for me yet! I like the “suck it up buttercup” attitude, no babysitting or coddling ...this is the real deal!
    Have fun!

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mikie, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL... Join me on the SAF shuttle to the start at 3am. Hey, I want to finish in the light. :unsure:

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    BUMP! Almost showtime!

herzalot, Mikie, mike and 1 other person like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Haha, right! I might have one ride in me tomorrow, then four (!) rest days.

I guess unless you’re an elite rider, you really never are ready for something like this. Certain thinking dictates training up to marathon distance before the marathon. I’m far from either.

The event route is longer, with more uphill and consistently high elevation than any of my rides this year. So when @Faust29 wrote good luck, I had to think that, this time, that’s what it’s down to. You can be on or not on any given ride. If I can be on, I’ll be able to stand up afterward. If not? Nice place to ride. :geek:

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?