Rocky's New Bike Day!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -ROCKY-, Oct 7, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Butt... other parts too.. after three days in hurricane i could only walk bow legged

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I can't believe no one has brought this up yet...

@-ROCKY- you simply must download and use the Strava app, or purchase a suitable GPS device such as a Garmin or Wahoo and upload your efforts.

There is no other way to know where you stand (or fall) in the rankings.:thumbsup:

All the cool kids Strava. ;)

Mikie, MrGreedom, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  3. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Hey Rocky-
    Congrats on the new wheels, great decision! Go out and use that thing. You know, straight up the 605 from Lakewood to Beverly eastbound is the Turnbull Canyon trail network. Haven't been there in a while, but its another spot fairly close to you that's worth checking out. Single track, fire road, all kinds of stuff. Terrible parking though

Mikie, kioti, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  4. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Lol, yes, I've already been told to ditch the reflectors and dork disc. I actually did stop by the lbs after work to look at gear. I never took gear into consideration. I thought I'd be able to do it all in dickie shorts and a T-shirt, guess not. Btw, I thought rule 420 was something else, an after ride rule? ;)

Mikie, MrGreedom, kioti and 7 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The times I went to Turnbull, I just rode to it. Solves that problem.

Mikie, MrGreedom, -ROCKY- and 4 others like this.
  6. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Lol, yes, I've already been told to ditch the reflectors and dork disc. I actually did stop by the lbs after work to look at gear. I never took gear into consideration. I thought I'd be able to do it all in dickie shorts and a T-shirt, guess not. Btw, I thought rule 420 was something else, an after ride rule? ;)

7. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    For the near future it doesn't matter. Yes, fairly soon you'll need to do that, but not for the FLoop.

Mikie, -ROCKY-, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Safety break!

Civilian shorts and t-shirts are 100% fine... just get your bike sorted out for now. Get the saddle height dialed in, figure out how/when to shift, and how to use your rear brake for most of your control, while feathering or using the front one lightly. @herzalot will have the best apparel advice, although your first purchase should be one of these: https://www.voler.com/browse/collections/details/li/IMTBTrails/

1T100EH_prt_f_760.jpg

9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    The hipster diehards would say as long as those dickie shorts are torn off dickie pants, then you’re good to go. The 420 rule applies throughout the ride, and especially at the end of a big climb where the gang stops to don the safety gear such as a full-face, pads, and goggles before the drop in. Hence safety break.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You forgot the GoPro. Or two...

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Please don't believe him.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, kioti and 5 others like this.
  12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    No mo talkin.. dont listen to anybody..
    Now just ride..try not to crash..
    Keep riding...

Mikie, Cyclotourist, kioti and 4 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm sad that I don't have a complete record of my first couple years back on the bike. :( Do you want Rocky to be sad? :whistling:

Get Strava, Rocky. :whistling::whistling:

14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I have memories of floop b4 strava... when i thought it was impossible to break 1 hour...
    Good to remember when riding w newbies ..that mtbk is hard at beginning

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I remember it well..which is why I offered to take him around the FLoop. If it takes 2 hrs, so be it.

16. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    I'm totally down, but I'm soo not tech savvy. I'd need a whole crash course on the subject.

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    (facepalm)

For STRAVA... :bang:
    Not for you Rocky. At least, not yet. :sneaky:

18. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Lol, Strava gives you maps of the trails?

Mikie, MrGreedom, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  19. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    You can use strava to see how you compare to others but more important you can see how your progressing. You get that good feeling to see that the 3 minute climb is now just 1 minute. It’s a free app and you can run it on your smart phone. Great way to track YOUR progress.

Mikie, MrGreedom, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  20. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  21. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Hi Molar, thanks! It's nice to know I won't have to drive too long to get on some dirt!

MolarM, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  22. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Runs! Thanks for the invite!! :) I don't think I'm ready yet. 5 miles from the bike shop on pavement showed me that Saturday :(

23. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    7BE6433A-4033-42BB-9C34-661664CE1C59.jpeg

Cyclotourist, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 4 others like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I wouldn't hesitate... I'm a Floop virgin, but I bet @Runs with Scissors could give you a bailout option or two if you need it. He'd be a great guide...

Get some dirt!

Cyclotourist, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 5 others like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yep. FLoop can be any distance.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and -ROCKY- like this.
  26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I think you could choose your words more carefully. A "Crash Course" on technical learning, just sounds painful! :whistling:

27. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Congrats Rocky. I'm glad we could provide some input and I must say, you're a rare breed of newcomer that pauses and listens before pulling the trigger. I'm sure it was painful both financially and will be physically once you get started rolling on dirt, but it will be worth it.

A few things that haven't been said yet:
    -This sport hurts physically, I think most of us have made that clear either directly or indirectly. That's the bad news. The good news is that it's surprisingly low impact considering the adrenaline it delivers and the fitness you'll gain. Since it doesn't hurt like some traditional workouts (lifting weights) it becomes more of a mental battle of how far you're willing to push yourself and how far down the pain cave you're willing to send yourself. They key to remember is that it hurts for everyone. When you're struggling to push your bike up a hill and some one motors right by you, know that they were absolutely, where you are today at one point in their riding career. The pain never goes away, but your threshold and tolerence and enjoyment of the pain does. The thing that is consistent is that the pain/suffering is one of the things you come to love, and those that have been doing it for a long while, feel the same way you do on nearly every ride, they just may have to spend another 60-120-180-240 minutes on the bike to get there. In short, we're all in the pain cave together.

-Pay attention to the little gains. This sport is going to be defeating and brutal at first. Some people fizzle out because it takes too much effort. The thing that's important is to look at your progress and marvel in the small gains. 2 months in, sure you may not be able to do a 4 hour epic ride like some... but take a step back and notice the little rock feature you can handle that you couldn't when you started or the climb that once had you huffing/puffing and walking that you can now motor up. Don't forget to look at the big picture and the small picture. Baby steps and before you know it, you'll be passing hours by like they are minutes on the trail.

-Take a lesson and/or ride with experienced people and get all the pointers you can. This is complicated sport. If you've ever done downhill skiing, water skiing, motor cycle riding, sporting clays, hunting etc, this is like that. Get comfortable on your bike and get 6 months of rides under your belt and get some pointers. It will unlock huge new things for you.

-This is a mental game. While the sport may seem physical to you right now, and I'm certain that is the overwhelming struggle at the moment, it's 100% a mental sport. Your body is already more capable then you know it is. It will take you just as long to find the limits of your current state as it will to hone and built the future more fit and capable you. Self confidence is huge and it's a huge wall for people to smash through. The skills needed to negotiate our local terrain are difficult, comprehensive and take a while to master. If you're getting shaken or being intimidated by a specific feature, decent or climb... slow down and break down what is affecting you. Is it how loose the ground is? Is it a rocky part with a turn right after? The important thing is to break it down and think through what it is that digging at your psyche and tackle that thing or issue one part at a time. For example, loose section coming into a corner? Think through where your body wants to be in each segment of trail and envision how you think it should go in your head and try to execute. You will likely fall short the first few times (or years) but with time, you'll be able to put some of the core movements and reactions on cruise control allowing you to focus on higher level tasks. It just takes time in grade.

-Stick with it. If you're doing this to build fitness... you've come to the right place. I know tons AND I MEAN FREEKIN TONS (MORE THEN I CAN REMEMBER OR COUNT) of people that have changed their lives and achieved their fitness goals through bikes, specifically mountain biking. I know people that have lost 100lbs in a year making a small change to their diet and jumping on the bike 3x a week for 1 hour each time. I know people (like myself) that at an already slim athletic frame, can make significant changes in body composition in a matter of 4-6 months just cutting beer and riding 3x a week. This sport will peel the weight off you and make you fitter then you've ever been in your life. I don't care who you are, this fact is universal.

-Be goal driven not outcome driven. A big part of sticking with this is being goal driven and not consumed by the outcome. Like many things in life, there are too many variables out of your control for you to have a real say in the outcome. Even the most experienced among us set out to do an epic ride, only to be sidelined with a mechanical that is ride ending that's not in our control. For that reason, chose goals that give yourself the best chance to achieve your outcome, and don't focus so much on the outcome. The best summary of this is what you see mtb riders preaching all the time... "The worst day on the bike, is still better than (chose your cliche thing here)" That's because it's true. In this sport, the outcome is just another notch in your belt... the most fulfilling part is the 10 other notches that were the goals your achieved on the way to that outcome. Love every part of it, that's what this is about.t

28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @-ROCKY- !
    YOU MUST BE THE MOST POPULAR KID IN SKOOL RIGHT NOW.
    As you can tell, these guys are excited for you!
    Don't get overwhelmed by all their great info. One day at a time Brothah!
    Welcome to imtbtrails!

Mikie
    :thumbsup:imtbtrails

30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Ummmm, yeah, about that school thingy..o_O:laugh:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?