Rocket Time! (aka riding with your dog)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 21, 2015.

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Anyone else ride with their dog? Some pics from a Holy Jim ride with my border collie, Rocket...

rocket3.jpg

rocket4.jpg

rocket5.jpg

rocket6.jpg

rocket7.jpg

Training him to stay in front of me on the climbs was easy. He did not like having to stay behind me on the descents - but he kept looking over his shoulder and I almost ran him over a couple of times :)

He also runs with me 6 miles per week come rain or shine...

rockettime.jpg

rojomas, BeckTrex, mike and 8 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Nope. I don't have a dog. Not trying to pick a fight or make a fuss. This us just an observation. It really bugs me to round the bend and come face to face with an unleashed dog.

3. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V3, Ibis Tranny
    Nice. We had a Border Collie. Great dog. Poor little guy was diabetic, so long runs and rides were out of the question, but he would fetch a tennis ball for as long as you wanted to keep throwing it. Our current German Shepherd mix is almost 13 years old now, so no riding with her. Just getting to the end of the street and back is a chore at her age.

4. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I hear ya. I am also tired of people saying their dogs are "ok" when they aren't. My dogs are obedience trained with verbal commands and hand signals. When people are around I can heel them or command them to follow me on my bike or while running. I only take them on trails during the week when the chance of encountering someone is very slim, and I only take a single dog at a time. On this particular ride I didn't encounter a single person... until I got to the bottom by the cabins when I encountered a hiker with two big dogs off leash. I stopped at a distance and asked "are your dogs ok?" He said "yes". I rode past (with my dog following my bike) and both his dogs jumped on mine and knocked him into the creek.

As far as biking goes (and I am not trying to argue either) if you are going so fast that you come around a bend and will hit a dog, you would likely hit a child or a hiker. Don't forget that Holy Jim is an equestrian trail. When I am descending, I assume that there is a horse around every blind corner.

I'm not trying to sound preachy or judgmental. We live in an area with millions of people. I try to be respectful and share the trails responsibly. But I see no difference between me riding with a dog off leash, versus hiking with a dog on leash. Either way we are going to be on the trail.

5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    My Vizsla pup Rusty is 6 months old and loves to go on short rides with me. No way I'm letting him off leash though as he still has full blown puppyitis and my local fire roads & trails have way too many people and distractions for him. I started off holding the leash in one hand and the bars in the other but that proved to be quite reckless so now I'm using a walky dog which is a spring loaded leash that attaches to the seatpost and at least gives me control.

Mikie, BonsaiNut and Cisco Roots like this.
  6. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    There is only one trail near my house that I feel comfortable taking my dog on who is a lab mix. You can park right next to the trail head and therefore avoid any street traffic. Like VT above this proven to be a challenge since he is still young, 10 months, and gets WAY too excited on the trail. It's gonna take some time with him but one thing for sure is I would not take him out on a weekend and the only reason I pick this trail is because weekdays it is rare to run into anyone. I personally don't have issues with unleashed dogs as long as they are well trained and obedient, which unfortunately is not the case all the time although rare in my observations at least. All this said, having your little buddy trail dog riding with you is such an awesome experience, it truly is a great feeling and I know that the dog is in heaven out on the trail too!!

7. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    One of my dogs I will not ride with - she isn't capable of the endurance. One of my dogs - Dash - is too fast - I have to run her with a pack with water bottles always to slow her down. I keep her behind me always. Rocket is perfect. He ignores everything but me. He won't chase a rabbit or a squirrel, doesn't give a crap about horses, and will ignore all other dogs - even if they are barking and snarling at him. Everyone likes to think their dog is special, but I have been around dogs enough in my life to know they are all different and all special - in their own unique ways. You just need to be honest with what you can or cannot expect from them.

I used to work with attack dogs in the military. THOSE are the dogs you don't want to meet unleashed on a trail :)

Mikie, Oaken, Cougar and 1 other person like this.
  8. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I'm all for it, but it depends on the dog and the trail. A dog like Rocket that will stay by the bike and respond to vocal commands is ideal.
    I wouldn't do it with the Husky at all. Although she is doing very well heeling next to the cruiser during neighborhood jogs.

Mikie, ridinrox and BonsaiNut like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    One of the problems I had with Rocket on this ride was getting an action shot :) Every time I stop, he stops and looks at me for me to tell him what to do. So at one point I realized all I was going to have was a bunch of shots of my dog staring at me. When I was thinking I was going to herd with him, I trained him to "AWAY" for him to run out about 50 yards and stop and look back at me for a command. So finally I was able to send him away and get photos of him running away from me. But he didn't like it - not one bit. He will respond to my hand signals even when he is out of hearing range... but he can't stand being out of line of sight. It is one of the tests I give when I am training dogs to stay. When I put them in a stay they cannot move even when I walk out of the room.

Two weeks ago as I was pulling out of Modjeska Canyon in my car, I had to yield to two huskies in sled harnesses pulling a biker. They were young dogs and were having the time of their lives - pulling and barking. Gave me all kinda of ideas, but I don't have the right dogs :) Of course you have to be careful with sled dogs - once you teach them to pull it is pretty hard to unteach them.

Here's a shot of Rocket on San Juan trail...

rocketstt.jpg

mike, Mikie, gunga din and 2 others like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Sounds like the perfect trail dog, he is special.

Mikie likes this.
  11. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I, too like seeing dogs unleashed and if they're a danger to others or other dogs then yes, please leash your dog. Unfortunately, most people are clueless when it comes to their dogs. :(

I took mine out on the trails off the 74 in Palm Desert (when I lived there). He never was a hindrance to anyone bc hardly anyone mtb's out there. My dog digs hiking - I never want to deny him being a dog........

I worry about coyots though. :thumbsdown:

Mikie, Oaken, rojomas and 1 other person like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    All I know is I'd love to have a Lily!

Mikie, Oaken, MCB2K and 2 others like this.
  13. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    That truly warms my heart to see a dog running freely. Thanks for posting the vid!!

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Isn't that a great one! The best part is that she helps you with yard upkeep at the end of the day as well!

Mikie and ridinrox like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    That dog ROCKS!

I may have to take Dash out tomorrow...

Mikie, ridinrox and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    I have a Jack Russell that I take to Bonelli once in a while when I take out the single speed. I have to really watch my speed to make sure I don't go too fast and over work him. He loves to jump in the lake after the ride.FB_IMG_1443595871341.jpg

17. ~ Z ~

~ Z ~ Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    BallisticWonder
    image.png #everydayimage.jpeg

mike, BeckTrex, Oaken and 2 others like this.