Rock Cobbler

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Danmtchl, Feb 10, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Anyone doing the Rock Cobbler this weekend? I will be out there volunteering.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It's THIS weekend? Dang.

Mikie, Danmtchl and DBMX119 like this.
  3. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
  4. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I'll be up there. I'm looking forward to it... Hopefully the weather holds out. Look for the guy suffering in the Red Monkey kit.

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I will look out for you. I will be in the Rio Bravo area by the Canyon. It has been raining all day and supposed to rain tomorrw. Prepare for a mudfest.

Mikie and DBMX119 like this.
  6. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I'm starting to rethink my life choices. This is going to be a sloppy mess. ha ha

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But it'll be FUN!!

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sounds like the Dirty Kanza all over again????

Mikie, Danmtchl and DBMX119 like this.
  9. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Pretty much. Haha

Mikie, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  10. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Update this morning from the promoter:
    "IT IS MUDDIER AND STICKIER THAN PINE SAP LAYED ON WET CEMENT!"

Sounds like it will be epic conditions. They are rerouting a few areas due to mud and are taking out one of the water crossings because it is waist deep.

And in closing: "See you all soon travel safe. You are ALL Cobbler-cans…..not Cobbler-cants! Remember that."

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Hope he finishes, Foes Mutz with a triple clamp. IMG_3119.JPG

12. Not just a triple clamp, that's like a 15lb 15 year old fork. That's the guy that road that across Colorado right???? Beast

Mikie, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I don't know if he road across Colorado. But he wasn't breaking a sweat. Where I was is the 29 mile mark. I did not see DBMX119. Looked for the kit he said he was going to wear.

Mikie and DBMX119 like this.
  14. I meant 527mi through Nevada

15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I talked to that guy in the parking lot at the brewery and he said its a 2004, painted to match the Foes. No modifications were made to fit the 4.8 tire. IMG_3122.JPG

Faust29, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  16. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    With sandals on. I guess he's out of Vegas.

17. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I was there. It was awesome. Amazing course this year with some epic conditions. This is such an awesome event.

I'll post more tomorrow. Now it's time to relax for a bit.

18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was at the gate by the golf course after the lake.

Mikie likes this.
  19. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    There was a golf course??? Hahaha I was with the lead group going into the first big dirt climb and got spit off the back pretty quick. There was about 4 of us together around the lake area and I was just trying to get back in the groove after those first dirt section climbs. They were tough! never even noticed a golf course!

It was weird getting dropped like that.... me and my buddy were kind of alone most of the rest of the day. Usually we just kind of come from the back so we're used to always having people around us.

Faust29, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    IMG_3121.JPG I got a pic of the first group, and yes as you went past the lake up the dirt road you saw me and my black truck. IMG_3118.JPG

The golf course is the top pic off to the left.

Faust29, Mikie and DBMX119 like this.
  21. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Ok. Now I know where that was.

22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    A buddy of mine did it.
    88.4 miles
    6145'
    12.2 avg speed
    7:16:23 move time
    There appeared to be a lot of water crossings. Looks like quite the adventure.

23. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I ended up 55th with an official time of 6:28.

Things were not looking good on Friday night. A solid day of rain left the course covered in mud and the stream crossings deep (and cold). The promoters took to the course on Saturday to mark it and make any changes to avoid big mud spots. I don't think they ended up changing too much actually.

Sunday morning was sunny... but chilly. Ok Cold. My truck said 48 degrees when we left, but I decided to not wear too much because I knew it was going to get a lot warmer as the sun rose, and there was going to be a lot of hard efforts to warm me up. I just had to suffer through the hour long neutral roll out which was mostly in the shade.

This year I wanted to start up with the front group in hopes of avoiding the masses of people going backwards through the pack as others surged forward. Once the horn sounded we dumped out onto the road and made a big sweeping right to the first climb. I was where I wanted to be, and my legs felt great! about half way up I was moving up through the pack and realized I was catching the leaders.... "OK... Back it down. There's a long day ahead!"

After a good downhill we made a right off the highway and into the dirt for the first time. We were immediately met with 4 long, steep climbs that tested the legs and the limits of my gearing (I'm running a 44 and 11X40 cassette). This quickly got strung out and the lead group of 20 or so sped off in the distance. I dropped back quick as did a bunch of others and we all spread out. Oh, and I already had sweat dripping on my glasses and was glad I didn't over dress!

The first long downhill was a blast. It was rocky and rutty and if I looked at it first I probably would considered walking it. But, I had a few guys to pass and when they hesitated I bombed it bunnyhopped side to side on the trail to avoid some big ruts.

I spent the rest of the time to the next stop pretty much alone and in no mans land. I ended up running into a buddy at the first stop which was cool because we were able to push each other and keep us honest! No slacking.

This years course had much better flow than last year. It didn't seem to climb for the sake of climbing (no straight up and then down a hill, etc). BUT it was way challenging. Around mile 30 we turned onto a ranch and started the biggest climbs of the day. They just went on and on and on. And they were steep. I ended up blowing up, got wheel spin on something slick (wet grass or a cow pie) and had to walk a bit of it. I wasn't too embarrassed until my buddy came climbing by heckling me. Reaching the top of the hill I was anxious to see the pay off, but I was only greeted with a muddy, slippery goat trail not more than a foot wide that wound all the way down the canyon. Yep.... Time to walk.
    thumb_IMG_0252_1024.jpg
    The rest of the ride was more of the same: Climb, fun descent, water crossing, trash cow pies everywhere, single track, a random washing machine.
    thumb_IMG_7490_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7493_1024.jpg
    Oh wait... There was the 2 hike a bikes. Yeah. 2. The first one was probably the steepest hill I have ever climbed up without a bike. Let along carrying/pushing/dragging my muddy mess of a bike with me. As an added bonus a local cycling club stood at the top, heckling you and throwing beach balls. I was not happy, but at the top someone handed me a water and grabbed my bike to go fill bottles for me. There was a DJ blaring music and they had coke, food etc for anyone that came through.
    thumb_IMG_7499_1024.jpg

The second one was about 10 minutes later and was mostly rideable but had big rocks that made it almost impossible. At the top you were greeted with a cardboard cut out of the promoter and a chance to throw darts at the target. If you hit it: $50 cash! Have you ever tried to throw a dart with your HR close to max??? Its harder than you would think!
    thumb_IMG_7503_1024.jpg

A few short easy climbs later were charged down a narrow single track canyon out to the highway (with ANOTHER hill) and back out the river trail to the finish line and then back to the brewery for the after party.

I can't say enough about this event. It is tough. Real tough. But the crew that puts it on makes everything so fun that you can't help but have a good time. The free food and live music at the after party is just a bonus.

thumb_IMG_7513_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_7511_1024.jpg

24. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
  25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The Brown Monkeys (asian riding group)were the crew manning the hill climb. Have you checked Derek Smiths Facebook page? There are tons of pictures on there. Also Grizzly cycles, he was at the river crossing take pics also. You may be in them.

I am in the brewery photo that you posted, straght ahead in black shirt behind a chick in green jersey with lei on. HAHA.

Glad you got to enjoy Bako while its still green and a challenging course. This stuff is my normal riding area.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and DBMX119 like this.
  26. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Thanks! Yeah I am in one of Dereks photos. I remembered him from last year.

Rock Cob.jpg

27. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Bumping this to the top! The 2019 version is happening this Saturday. Is anyone going to be up there???

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Have fun.

29. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    No, Have fun, it should be great conditions. There is a chance of rain also.

30. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is such a great report! I don’t know how I missed this!
    Rick you are a flippin’ stud!