Road Trip! Downieville, Lake Tahoe, Lake Tahoe & Mammoth!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtbbiker, Jun 28, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    So last week planned a short Epic road trip with my brother. We left Friday early 4am to hit Downieville shuttle at 1pm. We arrived in Downieville at 12:55pm, luckily for us the locals are a little looser on their departure times!
    e2a4b8acc284070be3bb3b25337112ee.jpg

82d07357bde4a60d6e9cff44dd733ebd.jpg

4e240e4c9914ad6d5368832b086dffb1.jpg
    We did Sunrise to a fire road to Pauly Creèk to one of the divides & back to town. Stats = 24 miles with 2.5k of elevation! As always lots of fun.

We then headed out the back way to my older brother's house in Reno to hit up the Flume trail & the trails around Lake Marlette!
    6dd74e0b5add0db2243e1ef79773945c.jpg

e6aedc52e3060291c537116fc41ad275.jpg

78d94a7ee801320b8ca03a6e53f567bd.jpg

84954269301e5e296931820816a4d61d.jpg

35b80fa36abe4a88adc1a26ae80f5e08.jpg

The Flume & the trails around Marlette Lake are incredible, probably more XC like but the view were incredible and made it all worth while.
    The Stats: 24miles with 3.6k of climbing.

Mr. toads was next but no pictures taken. This one is an absolutely must do ride, it is more of an AM style type of trail with huge distance to cover if you don't shuttle. This one was our biggest ride: 30miles with 3.9k of climbing. We hit a top elevation on this ride at around 9k feet! I was having a tough time breathing on this ride!

On the trip back home our final destination was Mammoth Bike park & after 3 hard days of riding, the lifts was a nice reward! We only stayed about 4hrs there & I can tell you from 1st hand that this place blows Snow Summit out of the water. So many trails & all so clearly marked! 4hrs was definitely not enough time to even come close to exploring all the trails off the lifts.

In summary, we had an incredible time & it took about 2 days before my legs & lungs began to feel normal! Road trips are just what the doctor ordered! So go out there & plan your road trip now! I guarantee you won't regret it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marty657, Mikie, RS VR6 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Re: Road Trip! Downieville, Lake Tahoe, Lake Tahoe & Mammoth

Hey don't be giving me any smack about missing out on TOBIAS Trail . . . BUD! :roll:
    Look what you just did. I have never been there yet, and plan to big time, and now even more... I want to get up there!
    Thanks for the motivation!!!!
    Do you REALLY have another brother? Never saw him, I'm thinking an EVIL Twin, or dual personalities...ha hah! :lol:

3. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark

Tahoe is epic, so many trails!! I just did the tip of the iceberg last yr. Mammoth is awesome too!!

Mikie likes this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower

OK - jealous from head to toe about the bikes and about the rides! Thanks for sharing :mrgreen:

Mikie likes this.
  5. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig

Tahoe is so beautiful & of course so different than the riding around here! My older brother has lived in Reno for at least 15yrs & I've only ridden Tahoe I believe only 3 times! I need to get out there & visit him some more! One of my favorite picture was the one showing Marlette Lake up close & then Lake Tahoe in the background. My only wish would be the drive was a little shorter then 8.5hrs. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mikie likes this.
  6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance

Nice report and pics Craig! It was even better hearing the story first hand on our ride.......

Can I come w you next time (I've never had a problem inviting myself)??? :p

Mikie likes this.
  7. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special

Very nice. No pics on Toads? You RR just got rated down a notch. :( Dang I miss Tahoe so much.

Next time you up there hit "Hole in the Wall" trail up by Truckee. you guys will love the chunky downhill finish

Mikie likes this.
  8. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan

The Belle Bros know how to road trip. So much good riding in such a short amount of time. That's how it's done.

Mikie likes this.
  9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Man, this looks like an awesome trip. Downieville is on my short list for mountain bike road trip. Need to get up there stat.

Mikie likes this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    That's an awesome trip. I've done Tahoe and Mammoth, but not Downieville. Stringing them all together must be amazing!

Mikie likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?